SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Dec 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,831 of 7,541
I haz a nother question.

How are people finding the operation of the DAP, from a tactile control/blind perspective? Is it easy to pause/play, skip track, increase/decrease volume etc from pocket blindly?

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #1,832 of 7,541
You
  Yep, different way of measurement produce different result, though I do stand firm on my measurement this time as I just re-do it with a different multimeter and the result is the same, just a little under 4 ohm. I have used the same method to measure other devices as well and the result have been confirmed by the manufacturer, so it should be quite reliable. Golden Ear doesn't seem  to mention how it conducts its measurement though, so I guess we'll never know the testing condition and why the result differ.

You are right.
To be precise, Golden Ears has just published a review by a user (Heavy metal Hallelujah).
Therefore, these are not measures made by Golden Ears, but by an external reviewer.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #1,833 of 7,541
  I haz a nother question.

How are people finding the operation of the DAP, from a tactile control/blind perspective? Is it easy to pause/play, skip track, increase/decrease volume etc from pocket blindly?

Don't know because i don't have this player (thinking on getting one soon) but with past sony walkmans they were easy to navigate blindly

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,834 of 7,541

Quote:
  I haz a nother question.

with gloves it can be a little tricky to know exactly where you're hitting on the inclined square at all time. I'm happy with it because it's better than on my e585 but objectively it's not perfect.
now without gloves, it's no problem at all for me.

Most definitely not an EU version. All of A10 series are made in Malaysia (which is where I am), and mine comes straight from the official Sony Store as part of the pre-order deal. The Sony Malaysia sticker is actually on the back.

yup they all have a nice "made in malaysia" indeed, in a way that's why I considered the possibility, thinking that it wouldn't be harder for you to get either versions ^_^.
oh well I guess I'm stuck with my mystery, so I'll have to redo a few readings on the sony and see if I come up with the same results again.
I really don't mind being wrong, that's my all life and my method wasn't all that professional. but how the hell did I mess up to end up with not even 0.5v difference from your stuff on both values? I should have bought a lottery ticket that day.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,835 of 7,541

yup they all have a nice "made in malaysia" indeed, in a way that's why I considered the possibility, thinking that it wouldn't be harder for you to get either versions ^_^.
oh well I guess I'm stuck with my mystery, so I'll have to redo a few readings on the sony and see if I come up with the same results again.
I really don't mind being wrong, that's my all life and my method wasn't all that professional. but how the hell did I mess up to end up with not even 0.5v difference from your stuff on both values? I should have bought a lottery ticket that day.
biggrin.gif

A few personal notes I have taken over the years regarding OI measurement are that, (1) while it doesn't matter what volume you set on the device you are measuring, you don't want the volume to be too high or too low. Too low, and it usually won't give you a very precise voltage difference. Too high, you might run into the device's current / voltage limiting and end up with a wrong number. I tends to set it at 0.1Vrms unloaded for DAP measurement, as it is usually just a bit louder than my listening volume, but still in the safe zone of the device (amp can be set a bit higher if wanted). So it is a good approximation for real life usage. (2) Also, you need to watch out for the test tone you use. I'll use 1kHz test tone myself, as 1kHz is kind of the unspoken standard for audio measurement. The problem is, to make sure your measuring tool (and in many case, a multimeter) can measure 1kHz accurately. Many multimeter are designed to measure only up to 500Hz, as they are designed to measure main power but not higher frequency. If you are not sure, better just use 500Hz. (3) Lastly, uses a dummy load (a pair of resistor) for loaded test. Headphone is fine if you are absolutely sure that it has a flat impedance curve, otherwise the result will not be accurate.

Also, it is a good practice to keep the condition similar on different measurement to make sure good repeatability. That way any abnormality will be easier to spot.

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #1,836 of 7,541
I have just picked this player up and am quite impressed so far.

I am a bit confused about the volume cap. Mine gave the two beeps when going over level 15, but I find that I have to go up to 25 to get a good listening level for outside on my MDR-1As. This is about the same level as one-notch-over-half on my iPhone 6.

Is that reasonable, or am I just going deaf?!

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #1,837 of 7,541

biggrin.gif

A few personal notes I have taken over the years regarding OI measurement are that, (1) while it doesn't matter what volume you set on the device you are measuring, you don't want the volume to be too high or too low. Too low, and it usually won't give you a very precise voltage difference. Too high, you might run into the device's current / voltage limiting and end up with a wrong number. I tends to set it at 0.1Vrms unloaded for DAP measurement, as it is usually just a bit louder than my listening volume, but still in the safe zone of the device (amp can be set a bit higher if wanted). So it is a good approximation for real life usage. (2) Also, you need to watch out for the test tone you use. I'll use 1kHz test tone myself, as 1kHz is kind of the unspoken standard for audio measurement. The problem is, to make sure your measuring tool (and in many case, a multimeter) can measure 1kHz accurately. Many multimeter are designed to measure only up to 500Hz, as they are designed to measure main power but not higher frequency. If you are not sure, better just use 500Hz. (3) Lastly, uses a dummy load (a pair of resistor) for loaded test. Headphone is fine if you are absolutely sure that it has a flat impedance curve, otherwise the result will not be accurate.

Also, it is a good practice to keep the condition similar on different measurement to make sure good repeatability. That way any abnormality will be easier to spot.

thanks but I'm at redneck macgyver level 1 of measurements craftmanshift. a multimeter is already too good for me ^_^. I just get stuff plugged into my input on the laptop, struggle a little to get impedance with a few resistors, then just compare to something of known value. like in this case the X1 because fiio gave the voltage value and I have it right there.

that's not great but usually enough to get a few values, sometime a RMAA if I feel adventurous and the DAP is bad enough not to be masked by my laptop's crapy input, but that's it. after all it's not like I'm trying to measure jitter values, so ultimate precision isn't my objective. still, unless I find where I messed up this time, I'll never be able to trust my results ever again. so it's not a nice feeling not to know what went wrong ^_^. (maybe something I installed changed a setting in my soundcard or something just as silly, I hope that's it).

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #1,838 of 7,541
Has anyone tried the Fiio L5 LO dock cable to bypass the internal amp and use external amp?
Does external amp improve the sound of Sony music player?

Has anyone tried below LO cable? Please comment.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTIyWDY1MA==/z/Q0cAAOxyZqhRiJYz/$(KGrHqUOKpwE7KYr!JwhBRiJYziw)w~~60_2.JPG

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #1,839 of 7,541
hey guys. i've been using japanese A16 for a couple of days, and i want to post my early impressions BEFORE some burn-in to help guide people with some insight, so to say what they may observe when they first bought this product. In other words, these impressions are from a non-burned, out-of-the-box A16, which carries POSCAP capacitors and is advised by Sony to be used a few hundred hours to reach its whole potential. 

first of all, this dap is REALLY small and lightweight. the pictures do not do justice in showing that. you should take it to your hands to see. 

SOUND : 

Note that these are from headphones exclusively, using Grado Hf-1, Audio Technica Esw9 and AKG Q701 (each rated equal or greater than 32 ohm impedance). Things with iems may highly vary.

1) Objective Impressions :

For previous F886 users, I am happy to say that A16 has a significantly more powerful amp inside. Leaving aside Grado, and Audio Technica (which are easy to drive), A16 is even enough for driving AKG Q701 to somewhat pleasurable levels!! 

Right now I am listening to some classic pop, rock and orchestral recordings, and I can say that (with 27 vol.,dynamic normalizer on, + some eq, clear bass + 2, all other effects off) this tiny boy gives a certain level of juice for AKG Q701 to sing. It is apparently MUCH louder than what F886 can provide for these cans. However, with Clear Bass +2 and +3 it shows compression and sound level flactuations after 25 - 26 volume, like the one in A845 or X1060. Yet I did not observe this on cans other than hard-to-drive AKG Q701. This should be the point where the dap's internal components start to yell "aaaaaaammpp mee pleeeeasseeeee" : )

Like F886, I found A16 to be the most successful in creating the realistic ambiences of live recordings, trumping Fiio X3, Ibasso Dx50, and even technically much superior Dx90 on that matter. On all of the three headphones above, it becomes a joy for listening the actions and clappings of audiences in the live records with both of the Sony's.

2) Likely to be Objective Impressions : 

I feel the frequency of A16 is more even compared to F886, which has some kind of percievable hump in the upper mids just before the beginning of a roll-off in the treble region. A16 I think, too, has that hump which makes the Sony guys to sound forward, and especially mesmerizing in live recordings. Yet, I think A16 is more even in frequency, and probably has a bit more extension on the treble region. At that moment of writing those, treble of F886 (fully burned btw) seems to be more relaxed, smooth, detailed, and slightly less extended compared to the one of A16. 

3) Pure Subjective Impressions

I "feel" compared to F886, A16 retains a similar soundstage with comparable width, and depth. Though not sure, F886's can be a bit wider, but A16's stage is admirably even in width and depth. 
Besides, detail levels seem the same both on F886 and A16 ; in that manner they resolve some good level of detail in recordings. 

However, at that time, I very subjectively think that my non-burned A16 is less transparent and clear than F886. Openly speaking, F886 has been the most clear and transparent sounding dap (with headphones) I've experienced till date, and A16 is slightly grained in sound compared to F886 right now. I will post more of this issue as I kept burning A16. 

Also, at the moment F886 seems to be more refined across the entire spectrum compared to A16. Though not much, this may be the only immediately recognizable sound difference between F886 and A16. Overall, I think A16 is nearly in the same level of sound quality of F886.

I'll post more as the time goes. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,840 of 7,541
Has anyone tried the Fiio L5 LO dock cable to bypass the internal amp and use external amp?
Does external amp improve the sound of Sony music player?

Has anyone tried below LO cable? Please comment.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTIyWDY1MA==/z/Q0cAAOxyZqhRiJYz/$(KGrHqUOKpwE7KYr!JwhBRiJYziw)w~~60_2.JPG

I have both ^_^, and they sound like any LOD. I see no solid benefit of one over the other except that the second one gives some more eyecandy in my opinion.
and the benefits you get from using the line out depends on the amp you plug in, and the needs of your headphone. so it's hard to give a general answer to that. if your headphone needs a lot of power, then you will not enjoy the sony alone all that much ^_^.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,841 of 7,541

I have both ^_^, and they sound like any LOD. I see no solid benefit of one over the other except that the second one gives some more eyecandy in my opinion.
and the benefits you get from using the line out depends on the amp you plug in, and the needs of your headphone. so it's hard to give a general answer to that. if your headphone needs a lot of power, then you will not enjoy the sony alone all that much ^_^.

I agree. I use the line-out port (I have a NW-Z1070 though, not the A serie). The main reason I use an external amp is because the internal amp does not have enough power to drive my headphone and there is a serious distortion when I turn the volume up! Also, I noticed that the internal amp has a pronounced bass (even with all the sound effects turned off). With external amp, I get a more natural sound and don't get the headaches with high volume levels. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,842 of 7,541
Anyone tried Sandisk's 128 GB micro SD with the A series? 

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #1,844 of 7,541
Ok, i can get a good deal on one of these in the uk, i had an f886 before and felt it could do with that little bit more

I like the idea of this as it has an sd slot, plus other bits like nfc and b'tooth. I have some other sony gear (ps4, bravia tv, z2 tablet) so it will slot in nicely with those

How much of a drawback is the eu volume cap? i.e. international version volume say 20 is equiv of uk version 16 for example, i.e. around a fifth better???

I bought the uk version and it sounded dull and lifeless to my ears I think the volume cap was implemented in a bad way..I then pulled the trigger and bought the Japanese version and I soon as I listened to it I was blown away definitely better sounding and louder....Don't waste your money get the international version I use the Japanese version and it's so easy to use without the English menu ..just my thoughts mate

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #1,845 of 7,541
hey guys. i've been using japanese A16 for a couple of days, and i want to post my early impressions BEFORE some burn-in to help guide people with some insight, so to say what they may observe when they first bought this product. In other words, these impressions are from a non-burned, out-of-the-box A16, which carries POSCAP capacitors and is advised by Sony to be used a few hundred hours to reach its whole potential. 

first of all, this dap is REALLY small and lightweight. the pictures do not do justice in showing that. you should take it to your hands to see. 

SOUND : 

Note that these are from headphones exclusively, using Grado Hf-1, Audio Technica Esw9 and AKG Q701 (each rated equal or greater than 32 ohm impedance). Things with iems may highly vary.

1) Objective Impressions :

For previous F886 users, I am happy to say that A16 has a significantly more powerful amp inside. Leaving aside Grado, and Audio Technica (which are easy to drive), A16 is even enough for driving AKG Q701 to somewhat pleasurable levels!! 

Right now I am listening to some classic pop, rock and orchestral recordings, and I can say that (with 27 vol.,dynamic normalizer on, + some eq, clear bass + 2, all other effects off) this tiny boy gives a certain level of juice for AKG Q701 to sing. It is apparently MUCH louder than what F886 can provide for these cans. However, with Clear Bass +2 and +3 it shows compression and sound level flactuations after 25 - 26 volume, like the one in A845 or X1060. Yet I did not observe this on cans other than hard-to-drive AKG Q701. This should be the point where the dap's internal components start to yell "aaaaaaammpp mee pleeeeasseeeee" : )

Like F886, I found A16 to be the most successful in creating the realistic ambiences of live recordings, trumping Fiio X3, Ibasso Dx50, and even technically much superior Dx90 on that matter. On all of the three headphones above, it becomes a joy for listening the actions and clappings of audiences in the live records with both of the Sony's.

2) Likely to be Objective Impressions : 

I feel the frequency of A16 is more even compared to F886, which has some kind of percievable hump in the upper mids just before the beginning of a roll-off in the treble region. A16 I think, too, has that hump which makes the Sony guys to sound forward, and especially mesmerizing in live recordings. Yet, I think A16 is more even in frequency, and probably has a bit more extension on the treble region. At that moment of writing those, treble of F886 (fully burned btw) seems to be more relaxed, smooth, detailed, and slightly less extended compared to the one of A16. 

3) Pure Subjective Impressions

I "feel" compared to F886, A16 retains a similar soundstage with comparable width, and depth. Though not sure, F886's can be a bit wider, but A16's stage is admirably even in width and depth. 
Besides, detail levels seem the same both on F886 and A16 ; in that manner they resolve some good level of detail in recordings. 

However, at that time, I very subjectively think that my non-burned A16 is less transparent and clear than F886. Openly speaking, F886 has been the most clear and transparent sounding dap (with headphones) I've experienced till date, and A16 is slightly grained in sound compared to F886 right now. I will post more of this issue as I kept burning A16. 

Also, at the moment F886 seems to be more refined across the entire spectrum compared to A16. Though not much, this may be the only immediately recognizable sound difference between F886 and A16. Overall, I think A16 is nearly in the same level of sound quality of F886.

I'll post more as the time goes. 

The most useful and detailed review i saw for a sony player .. Thanks so much and waiting your final review and i have few questions or thoughts i like to share it with you guys:
I am a sony lover from the old golden days :D .. Had some walkmans .. Discmans.. And later some walkman mp3 players : E013 - E584 (or something like that i am not sure of the exact number) and lately f806 which is the least favorable for me !! .. It supposed to be higher end than the first two but it doesn't sound like sony ! Its ( walkman )equalizer is the least effective.. Its clear bass not that effective and impactful like the other two.. It sounds clear but with some noisy not clear treble! .. But its sound is for me like a good sounding mobile phone .. Or good sounding player but not sony sound ! I guess that may be it is the android system that make the player sound soo "delicate" ! I suspected that it will sound like a mobile phone type of sound when i knew that it is an android player with a google store and all that stuff but the actual usage confirmed my doubts ! So i sold it ... And want a walkman that with its original operating system and the original eq and clear bass... Is that walkman's eq and bass is effective like the earlier players which reminds me with old walkmans and discman sound or more like the android ones ?!i was considering the new Japanese S series but saw that one with its extended storage and s-master amp technology so it is tempting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back