SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Nov 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #1,216 of 7,541
  So I asked the same question on Amazon that I had posted here a few days back about how many gb of the 64gb on the A17 are actually available for music/video and got an answer from Sony Support USA who stated that just as with my F807 the A17 has 55.8 useable gigs and the rest are used to run the software,so i guess Android or not the available space is identical.

apart from Sony i'm not aware of any other brand who offer a bass boost on their dap's (someone correct me here if i am mistaken) and the fact is it's nice to have that extra added low end without having to add any bricks to the pile (so to speak) but again this is all preference.depending on what headphones or iems you prefer YMMV,all i know is my Grado PS500e sound incredible coming straight from the F807 and for any higher impedance headphones such as my Beyerdynamic DT770's the addition of my iBasso D2+ Boa is all that is required and the result is automatic eargasm! I'm just glad this forum exists because now I now what to realistically expect from the A10 series sound quality wise,which as best i can surmise from what i've been reading from it's present owners is a player that is slightly above the sound quality of the E series yet not on par with the X, Z, F or ZX-1 models, which-no matter what is at the end of the day still a great sounding portable player and yet can hold up to 192gb vs only 16gb with my E345. btw it bears mentioning that i still use my E345 frequently and it is nearly 5 years old now and still looks and sounds fantastic and a full charge will last roughly 12 hours -not bad considering the literally thousands and thousands of hours i put on it between march 2010 and sept 2013 when i got my F807.

I beg to differ as I do have these players side by side.  These are current Sony DAPs that I have:  ZX1, Z1070, A17, A867, F807, A865, and S model.  Out of those 7 players, the A17 is my 2nd favorite sounding DAP next to the ZX1 using my JH13pro.  What you are missing out bass wise on the F807 will get fill in on the A17.  Mind you, I also noticed a slightly more dynamics out of the A17 compared to F807, and A867 in a direct comparison.  The gap between the A17 to the F807 & A867 is rather small and one will need really good earphones and trained ears to differentiate them apart.  The difference between the ZX1 and A17 are more noticeable and easier to discern.  IMO, the A17 is closer to the tonality of the ZX1 but without same powerful signature to the sound.  

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,217 of 7,541
@ purk That's actually great to hear!

I haven't heard the A17 yet and am just surmising the differences based on responses and reviews from people in the forums here and on a few other sites (i.e. Amazon,YouTube etc) who own one of the A10 models and also own (or did in the past) one of the Andoid Walkman players.and the general consensus according to them was that the Android players had deeper bass,clearer resolution and a better soundstage. despite their comparisons they all still had positive things to say about the A17 overall.

regardless of their impressions, I'm glad to hear a counter point of view from someone who is familiar with so many different Walkmans (can't lie I love Sony Walkmans and am a bit jealous)
wink_face.gif
. btw I don't find the F807 to be lacking in bass at all, quite the opposite in fact,Sony players have to my ears always had a signature warmth and authoritative bass presence I've never heard from other brands. granted,pairing the right player with the right headphones is key ,but I have no problem getting head rumbling results from My F807 when listening to idm,techno and hip hop with the right cans. damn maybe i will grab the A17 first then,might as well since I know I am going to love it no matter what.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,218 of 7,541

So I asked the same question on Amazon that I had posted here a few days back about how many gb of the 64gb on the A17 are actually available for music/video and got an answer from Sony Support USA who stated that just as with my F807 the A17 has 55.8 useable gigs and the rest are used to run the software,so i guess Android or not the available space is identical.

apart from Sony i'm not aware of any other brand who offer a bass boost on their dap's (someone correct me here if i am mistaken) and the fact is it's nice to have that extra added low end without having to add any bricks to the pile (so to speak) but again this is all preference.depending on what headphones or iems you prefer YMMV,all i know is my Grado PS500e sound incredible coming straight from the F807 and for any higher impedance headphones such as my Beyerdynamic DT770's the addition of my iBasso D2+ Boa is all that is required and the result is automatic eargasm! I'm just glad this forum exists because now I now what to realistically expect from the A10 series sound quality wise,which as best i can surmise from what i've been reading from it's present owners is a player that is slightly above the sound quality of the E series yet not on par with the X, Z, F or ZX-1 models, which-no matter what is at the end of the day still a great sounding portable player and yet can hold up to 192gb vs only 16gb with my E345. btw it bears mentioning that i still use my E345 frequently and it is nearly 5 years old now and still looks and sounds fantastic and a full charge will last roughly 12 hours -not bad considering the literally thousands and thousands of hours i put on it between march 2010 and sept 2013 when i got my F807.

I beg to differ as I do have these players side by side.  These are current Sony DAPs that I have:  ZX1, Z1070, A17, A867, F807, A865, and S model.  Out of those 7 players, the A17 is my 2nd favorite sounding DAP next to the ZX1 using my JH13pro.  What you are missing out bass wise on the F807 will get fill in on the A17.  Mind you, I also noticed a slightly more dynamics out of the A17 compared to F807, and A867 in a direct comparison.  The gap between the A17 to the F807 & A867 is rather small and one will need really good earphones and trained ears to differentiate them apart.  The difference between the ZX1 and A17 are more noticeable and easier to discern.  IMO, the A17 is closer to the tonality of the ZX1 but without same powerful signature to the sound.  

also have 865 and a 867 with me
beerchug.gif
, but I have to bow to the sony master as I have "only" 4sony DAPs(we're really a bunch of crazy people, lebellium I summon you and your 200daps!!!).
I'd say the A10 is better sounding than the older A, not as in more pleasing, but as in better audio fidelity.
and I agree that I also felt the A10 to be closer to the sound of the F886 than to the sound of the old A or Z.
 while saying that as if it was easy to tell, I can never stretch out enough what you said "The gap between the A17 to the F807 & A867 is rather small". 
depending on the IEM, it's almost impossible to tell them apart, and I'm really not confident I would get 100% right in a blind test if I couldn't focus on hiss levels with very sensitive IEMs(for the F806 no need for sensitive IEM ^_^).

they are different DAPs mainly because of a different user experience, in your hand the A10 is objectively not as nice to use as the A865. but µSD, crazy battery, flac, full physical buttons, and sony's UI: I can't say for you guys, but that's what I've been asking for for years. sure I wouldn't cry if the amp section was a real one, but I'm really glad that DAP was made.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,219 of 7,541

when i run into an issue like that i do the same thing castleofargh suggested and rename the albums with the disc number after the album name so they appear in their own folders (i.e. for Pink Floyd's The Wall i'd name the folders 'The Wall (disc one)' and 'The Wall (disc two)'  or if I want to keep everything in one folder I rename all the songs with the disc number at the beginning of each track i.e. the 3rd song on disc 2 would be numbered as 203.song title instead of just 03.song title since on a two disc album there are two songs beginning with the number 03. and even if the discs are tagged as disc 1/2 and disc 2/2  some players don't seem to read that data. also sometimes not having a leading 0 in front of any number between 01 and 09 will cause your player to read the tracks in the wrong order,so that track 10 shows up as the second song and track 11 as the third song because of the numerical hierarchy of the software. mp3tag is a great program to create or clean up tags if you don't have it already.  http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Thanks very much for your response.

I would prefer not to rename or move track names because that then means starting my library from scratch.

I already sometimes use Mp3tag, it's great.

However the software I am using at the moment Notpod (to sync my Sony with my current itunes library), can rename the tracks to include a disc name e.g. 3-01 A Thousand Trees but the NWZ-A15 is not recognising that for playback order.

Any ideas?

Could it be the dash....

Cheers,

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #1,220 of 7,541
  @ purk That's actually great to hear!

I haven't heard the A17 yet and am just surmising the differences based on responses and reviews from people in the forums here and on a few other sites (i.e. Amazon,YouTube etc) who own one of the A10 models and also own (or did in the past) one of the Andoid Walkman players.and the general consensus according to them was that the Android players had deeper bass,clearer resolution and a better soundstage. despite their comparisons they all still had positive things to say about the A17 overall.

regardless of their impressions, I'm glad to hear a counter point of view from someone who is familiar with so many different Walkmans (can't lie I love Sony Walkmans and am a bit jealous)
wink_face.gif
. btw I don't find the F807 to be lacking in bass at all, quite the opposite in fact,Sony players have to my ears always had a signature warmth and authoritative bass presence I've never heard from other brands. granted,pairing the right player with the right headphones is key ,but I have no problem getting head rumbling results from My F807 when listening to idm,techno and hip hop with the right cans. damn maybe i will grab the A17 first then,might as well since I know I am going to love it no matter what.

Please don't be jealous of my obsessive compulsive hobby.  The F807 is leaner in bass department compared to other Sony DAPs with the same "S-Master Amp" technology.  I would say it it just about on par with the old X1060 in quantity but better in definition.  Your F807 is considerable leaner sounding than the bassy heavy Z1070 which has even more bass than the ZX1 as well as the A17 & A867.  The A17 and A867 are relative equal interm of bass output but the A17 just sound more neutral and less dark to my ears. 

also have 865 and a 867 with me
beerchug.gif
, but I have to bow to the sony master as I have "only" 4sony DAPs(we're really a bunch of crazy people, lebellium I summon you and your 200daps!!!).
I'd say the A10 is better sounding than the older A, not as in more pleasing, but as in better audio fidelity.
and I agree that I also felt the A10 to be closer to the sound of the F886 than to the sound of the old A or Z.
 while saying that as if it was easy to tell, I can never stretch out enough what you said "The gap between the A17 to the F807 & A867 is rather small". 
depending on the IEM, it's almost impossible to tell them apart, and I'm really not confident I would get 100% right in a blind test if I couldn't focus on hiss levels with very sensitive IEMs(for the F806 no need for sensitive IEM ^_^).

they are different DAPs mainly because of a different user experience, in your hand the A10 is objectively not as nice to use as the A865. but µSD, crazy battery, flac, full physical buttons, and sony's UI: I can't say for you guys, but that's what I've been asking for for years. sure I wouldn't cry if the amp section was a real one, but I'm really glad that DAP was made.

Yes, I am pretty much on board that the audio fidelity is better on the A17 compared to the A867.  However, the difference in sound quality is relatively small especially when talking about the newer & older A-series.  To my ears, the A17 just sound cleaner with more pronounced high compared to a relatively dark sounding (albeit very good) NWZ-A867.  Bass is also just a tad tighter with very slighlty better soundstage.   Like you, I think that the A17 is a good buy if you want size, hi-rez capability, storage, UI, battery life, as well as really good sound with top-end IEMs/easy to drive cans.

On a side note, I prefer the design of the old A86x series compared to the A17.  I do miss a larger screen and its touchscreen feature.  Wish Sony just add the hi-rez & microSD to the A86x and rename it "A87x".

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,221 of 7,541
   Yes, I am pretty much on board that the audio fidelity is better on the A17 compared to the A867.  However, the difference in sound quality is relatively small especially when talking about the newer & older A-series.  To my ears, the A17 just sound cleaner with more pronounced high compared to a relatively dark sounding (albeit very good) NWZ-A867.  Bass is also just a tad tighter with very slighlty better soundstage.   Like you, I think that the A17 is a good buy if you want size, hi-rez capability, storage, UI, battery life, as well as really good sound with top-end IEMs/easy to drive cans.

On a side note, I prefer the design of the old A86x series compared to the A17.  I do miss a larger screen and its touchscreen feature.  Wish Sony just add the hi-rez & microSD to the A86x and rename it "A87x".

I believe I hear the same things as you, but somehow totally disagree that it's a small difference. *giggles*

I throw away a lot of stuff, but if I hadn't, I believe my total lifetime collection would easily rival lebellium's 200...

So I'd say there's nothing wrong with the hobby, and here's to the next 200.
beerchug.gif

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #1,222 of 7,541
Just want to reconfirm that Hugo works with A15 + digital-out as I tried them out yesterday, but ALO international and international+ won't.

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #1,224 of 7,541
I have a question regarding the A15 and A17. In my country we're only being treated to the A15 (16gb), this I can work with. So far I am trying to compare the specs and features between the A15 and A17 as most reviews I'm reading revolve around the A17. I was a little concerned that the A15 was missing apt-x support, but a little digging around I found out that it indeed does (it's just sony.com.au doesn't like to shout about it). One other rumour I have heard is that the A15 doesn't support multiple headphone profile (like the A17 does). Is this true?

What exactly are the differences between A15 and A17?

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #1,225 of 7,541
  that's where grumpy me is always prepared. I always think stuff are gonna be bad. so when they are bad I'm glad because once again I was right, and when they aren't I'm thrilled with surprise
biggrin.gif

Grasshopper:  How can I have contentment?

Master Po:  Expect nothing.

Grasshopper:  Wouldn't it be better to expect less than nothing?

Master Po:  Maybe you should leave the temple today, grasshopper.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #1,227 of 7,541
  I have a question regarding the A15 and A17. In my country we're only being treated to the A15 (16gb), this I can work with. So far I am trying to compare the specs and features between the A15 and A17 as most reviews I'm reading revolve around the A17. I was a little concerned that the A15 was missing apt-x support, but a little digging around I found out that it indeed does (it's just sony.com.au doesn't like to shout about it). One other rumour I have heard is that the A15 doesn't support multiple headphone profile (like the A17 does). Is this true?

What exactly are the differences between A15 and A17?

As far as I know, there is no hardware / software difference between A15 / A16 / A17, except for memory (though Japanese version of the A10 series seems to run on different firmware than the rest of the world).

That begin said, yes, A15 supports aptX. Also yes, it can store multiple bluetooth profiles. I have three different BT devices' profiles (all correctly recognized as aptX supported) currently stored on my A15.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #1,228 of 7,541

As far as I know, there is no hardware / software difference between A15 / A16 / A17, except for memory (though Japanese version of the A10 series seems to run on different firmware than the rest of the world).

That begin said, yes, A15 supports aptX. Also yes, it can store multiple bluetooth profiles. I have three different BT devices' profiles (all correctly recognized as aptX supported) currently stored on my A15.

I have a Japanese version incoming i am curious to see how its differs from the EU A15 i bought and returned...Apart from ATRAC playback and noise cancellation thats the only difference i am aware of..

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #1,230 of 7,541
  speaking of firmware, mine is at 1.00, how would one even update the firmware on these and does Sony have a history of updating the firmware for their walkmans allot?

You will have to go to the sony site download the firmware and put it on your player via usb into the root folder...But i find that sony dont do a lot of firmware updates they get it right the first time!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back