SONY NW-ZX700
Apr 7, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #2,626 of 2,641
One combo I've found quite pleasant is to use Vinyl Emulation in Standard mode with the Audio Technica AWAS. The AWAS is generally a midrange/treble-focused headphone and Vinyl Emulation adds a bit more rumble to the bass and adds a bit more body to the lower frequencies. Think of the reverb of a bass guitar string being plucked, that deep "rrrrr" after the initial sound of the pluck. That aspect gets emphasized - just slightly - with Vinyl Emulation. Vinyl also works well when outputting to a Stax amp and using it with the L700mk2. Any headphone that benefits from a bit more body to the bass and lower midrange benefits nicely from Vinyl Emulation.

DSEE is a bit like the audio equivalent of what Nvidia DLSS does for computer graphics. DSEE can work well, but as with AI-based anything, it really depends on what trained the AI. It works better on recorded instruments rather than synthesized effects (so EDM and the like tend not to benefit as much), and the effect is most felt on content that's less than CD quality, which I still have a good bit of in my collection. In general, I find that recorded instruments with a lot of high frequency content (percussion in particular, but also some brass instruments) benefit the most with more texture being added to the notes. Like on some poorly-recorded or heavily-compressed songs with rapidly tapped hi-hats, the hits can blur into this mess of "ssssss" with each note becoming indistinct. DSEE can add a bit more definition to each note and reduce the monotone sizzle that happens in the upper treble. High frequencies are what get cut off or distorted the most in lossy compression, so it makes sense that they're what benefit most from DSEE reconstruction.

I also like DSD Remastering. It generally has the effect of slightly softening the upper treble without losing detail. It can get rid of the "glare" on high-frequency transients like cymbal or hi-hat hits. If you use the Slow DSD filter, it also adds a more physical sense of rumble to deep bass while the Sharp filter gives you a crisper impact on the initial transient of each note but less body/rumble to the rest of the note. Note that this only works with the balanced output! If you enable DSD Remastering when using the unbalanced output, it does nothing.

DSEE Ultimate also does AI based Bit depth enhancement which increases the dynamic range of your music. This means instruments like drum strikes or cymbal strikes will have even more kick than before, this is done really well without sounding overpowering/ear fatigue. The AI training has gotten alot better, the dynamics enhancement is getting even more expressive than before, with even more variations in loudness of soft sounds. I have been using DSEE Ultimate since its initial release on the ZX507 in 2020, and in the latest 1.08 firmware version that is on my WMA1M2, the DSEE Ultimate has become even more evolved in it's capabilities. While it is still learning and evolving as we speak, for certain types of music, it can separate out individual music instruments, vocals in real time and remix/re-layer/pinpoint reposition these objects into a more immersive spherical surround like listening experience. Also to note, DSEE Ultimate is not limited to lossy music reconstruction now, it is now capable of even enhancing 16bit 44.1KHz lossless content as well.

Also it is important to note that the Sony Headphone app does also have it's own impact/influence to how the Walkman sounds spatially(for wired connections as well), I would recommend to keep this app updated. I have heard sound improvements with the new version 10.4.1 with my WMA1M2 using wired. I would think this improvement should also apply to the ZX707 which works quite similar to the WM1AM2. Also do note that Sony headphone works for both wired and wireless models(meaning it is not just a simple bluetooth functions app now)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #2,627 of 2,641
I've got a lot of catching up to do in this thread. I just received a US version :frowning2: booo, but it was only $90 :) Yeah! Listed on the "bay" as "no power, as is" but I did get it working and there was no PIN to deal with. I've had an NW-A105 in the past so everything is pretty familiar to me. I also have a Cayin N3Pro so it will be fun to compare the two, even though the Cayin has WAY more power than this thing. I've been impressed with the software so far. The Cayin is pretty lacking in that dept. Looking forward to relaxing with me IEMs again.
What was wrong with it?

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #2,629 of 2,641
Also it is important to note that the Sony Headphone app does also have it's own impact/influence to how the Walkman sounds spatially(for wired connections as well), I would recommend to keep this app updated. I have heard sound improvements with the new version 10.4.1 with my WMA1M2 using wired. I would think this improvement should also apply to the ZX707 which works quite similar to the WM1AM2. Also do note that Sony headphone works for both wired and wireless models(meaning it is not just a simple bluetooth functions app now)
I used it once I was curious but didn't see anything interesting in the app...

I have IER-M9 and selected them but dunno, doesn't look like made for wired :))

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #2,630 of 2,641

It won’t do anything unless you upload a photo of your ear which sounds like complete snake oil.

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #2,631 of 2,641

It would select the correct spatial sound signal processing algorithms specific to the Sony iem/headphone and if you want to go further, you can upload your ear photo to allow for a personalised HRTF profile that would improve on this spatial sound experience even further.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #2,634 of 2,641
Is anyone here experiencing issues with using exclusive mode on Tidal and Apple Music when connecting an external DAC like the Ru7?

When I plug in my Ru7 to my ZX707 and open Tidal, my Ru7 says I'm playing a 96kHz file even though I'm just playing a 44kHz song.

I've tried plugging my Ru7 into my Samsung phone, and exclusive mode works even in Apple Music.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #2,635 of 2,641
You don't have to for it to still benefit from the effect it has on Music player app playback together with using the Headphone app:)
It’s just going to mess with the sound. I personally disable it.

Sony is great with hardware but when it comes to software the less it’s involved the better.

Also not a fan of spatial memes, they all sound bad to me.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #2,636 of 2,641
Anyone notice any sound changes on the ZX707 with respect to the new firmware? Some redditors have notice sound changes on their A306 with the new firmware.

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #2,637 of 2,641
Anyone notice any sound changes on the ZX707 with respect to the new firmware? Some redditors have notice sound changes on their A306 with the new firmware.
No, but since upgrading, I have to rebuild the music library about 1/2 the time I boot the device up. Otherwise there are no songs, not even those in the internal storage. It's annoying.

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #2,639 of 2,641
I have both (JP A306/US ZX707) and no, but I did notice an improvement with the Bluetooth connection. It doesn't randomly drop anymore.

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #2,640 of 2,641
Hey, I've been using the 707 since last year and unfortunately today it got stuck in a crash restart loop. I opened the google play store and did an update all apps and then it caused the walkman to crash. Ever since then it's been restarting, has a moment where it runs fine while its starting then crashes and restarts.

I haven't been able to reach the factory reset on time and unfortunately since it's Android 12, can't boot to recovery mode. Any ideas for a solution before I have to result to a service to sort the issue or send it to sony?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back