SONY NW-ZX500
Feb 14, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #8,013 of 8,642
Not sure it's possible on an Android device.
Apple states:
"All Apple Music subscribers using the latest version of Apple Music on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV can listen to thousands of Dolby Atmos Music tracks using any headphones. When listening with compatible Apple or Beats headphones, Dolby Atmos Music will play back automatically when available for a song. For other headphones, go to Settings > Music > Audio and set the Dolby Atmos switch to ā€œAlways On.ā€ You can also hear Dolby Atmos Music using the built-in speakers on compatible iPhones, iPads, and MacBook Pros, or by connecting your Apple TV 4K to a compatible TV or AV receiver."

Feb 14, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #8,014 of 8,642
Not sure it's possible on an Android device.
Apple states:
"All Apple Music subscribers using the latest version of Apple Music on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV can listen to thousands of Dolby Atmos Music tracks using any headphones. When listening with compatible Apple or Beats headphones, Dolby Atmos Music will play back automatically when available for a song. For other headphones, go to Settings > Music > Audio and set the Dolby Atmos switch to ā€œAlways On.ā€ You can also hear Dolby Atmos Music using the built-in speakers on compatible iPhones, iPads, and MacBook Pros, or by connecting your Apple TV 4K to a compatible TV or AV receiver."

It's only possible on Android if your device already has Atmos support like some higher-end phones (Samsung, etc...)

Feb 18, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #8,015 of 8,642
There is two sides to this. First, the Walkman app plays direct, bypassing the android audio regardless. Second, for streaming services like tidal by default theyā€™re handled just like any android device, that is theyā€™re scaled to 16/48. If you enable high res streaming then the track, whatever it is, is scaled to 32/192 and bypasses android. The problem here is the fact the track is being upscalled, itā€™s not bit perfect any more. This has two issues, one, it drains the battery more and two itā€™s arguably worse quality than playing for example a 24/96 high res track at but perfect mode. I say arguably, Iā€™m not sure I can tell the difference.
Summary, using the Walkman app for local flac files you get bit perfect playback. Using for example tidal you get the first MQA unfold in the app (to 24/96), this is then upscalled to 32/192 if you use high res streaming. If not itā€™s downscalled back to 16/48. Either way you do not get second unfold or further.

regardless, it sounds great.
What if you have local mqa files? No unfolds?

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #8,017 of 8,642
Itā€™s not really just about volume as it is headroom with certain headphones. You shouldnā€™t be maxing out your device. I can imagine long term itā€™s not healthy for the device itself.
That's mostly a myth. Sony uses Class D amps, you can max them all day long.

Also with the capped model, it's impossible to max them anyway. If you go to 120/120, your are only at 100/120 in real.

But as long the amp is well designed, you don't have to worry to max it as much as you want. The story may be different with ChiFi

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #8,018 of 8,642
I hope there will be an 5.00.00 firmware release that will add USB DAC support. The new WM1 Mark II have it so I hope the ZX507 will get it too.

I also hope the Bluetooth Receiver will make an comeback but that is very unlikely

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #8,019 of 8,642
I hope there will be an 5.00.00 firmware release that will add USB DAC support. The new WM1 Mark II have it so I hope the ZX507 will get it too.

I also hope the Bluetooth Receiver will make an comeback but that is very unlikely
Maybe Android 11 as well since the CPU is similar...

Feb 22, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #8,023 of 8,642
Just in general, is it comfortable? Does it work well with the ZX507 player? How's the bass for pop music? Comfort to me is the most important though.
The Z1R are V-shaped, so you will have enhanced Bass and Treble!
They are comfy, but If I would compare than my Bose QC 35 are more comfortable.
Maybe just because the Z1R are much bigger! :D

I got also the balanced Sony Kimber Kable: https://www.sony.at/electronics/kopfhoerer-verlaengerungskabel/muc-b20sb1

It is working very well with the Walkman ZX507 (uncapped Volume), they have enough power to drive the Z1R!

Check out the reviews of Joshua and Zoes too:

br dino

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #8,024 of 8,642

Do you think we will actually see a 5.00.00 update? The only features I was hoping for was system wide bypassing of android audio and system wide PEQ.

Given the new TOTL Walkman donā€™t get system wide bypass I guess we ainā€™t gonna see this.

Do they get any better sound control, true PEQ or do they use the same sound control app as the 105 and 507?

Feb 22, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #8,025 of 8,642
Do you think we will actually see a 5.00.00 update? The only features I was hoping for was system wide bypassing of android audio and system wide PEQ.

Given the new TOTL Walkman donā€™t get system wide bypass I guess we ainā€™t gonna see this.

Do they get any better sound control, true PEQ or do they use the same sound control app as the 105 and 507?

+1 for that. I don't believe that there are any DAPS that can do both, especially with hi-res and MQA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back