Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 3, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #12,796 of 12,862
If I were in your shoes, I would buy NW-WM1A and have it modded instead of doing the same with NW-ZX300. You would be much better off SQ wise I think.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #12,797 of 12,862
If I were in your shoes, I would buy NW-WM1A and have it modded instead of doing the same with NW-ZX300. You would be much better off SQ wise I think.
That would be the way to go. I am happy with my 1Z - it was only because I saw a big price drop for a ZX300 that I was l looking at its potential as another player for out and about. The secondhand 1A + mod is a lot more money, and although much lighter than my 1Z, bigger than I would consider as a secondary dap to carry around.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #12,798 of 12,862
That would be the way to go. I am happy with my 1Z - it was only because I saw a big price drop for a ZX300 that I was l looking at its potential as another player for out and about. The secondhand 1A + mod is a lot more money, and although much lighter than my 1Z, bigger than I would consider as a secondary dap to carry around.
The nayparm modded ZX300 is an excelent and very convenient player. I never heard the stock ZX300 so can’t comment on the actual amount of improvement. It is not up to the level of the modded 1A/1Z but still very, very good and a lot more portable

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #12,799 of 12,862
I have an older Mac and it was kind of useless when managing my ZX300. I also have a Linux distro laptop, and it was only a little better.

Recently, the time came for me to get a new laptop. I said, WTH, I'll just get one with Windows 11 and see what that can do. If I ended up hating Windows, I could just replace it with Fedora or Ubuntu or something like them. Turns out Windows isn't that bad, and MusicBee manages the ZX300 better that any other software I've tried. I can even sync my various playlists to the ZX300, something I failed to do with either MacOS or Linux.

Long story short, I'm sticking with Windows 11 and MusicBee. It just works.
I also struggled with playlists. My issue was that my Music folder on my Mac is buried under a stack of parent folders, and I didn't want to have to replicate the path on the ZX300. As a workaround I export the playlist on the Mac in M3U format, used a text editor to find and delete all the filepaths down to the Music directory, and then saved the amended playlist to the Music folder. Then when I run CCC it automatically includes the M3U files.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #12,800 of 12,862
The nayparm modded ZX300 is an excelent and very convenient player. I never heard the stock ZX300 so can’t comment on the actual amount of improvement. It is not up to the level of the modded 1A/1Z but still very, very good and a lot more portable
Thanks. My new A306 is ideal for my 6 day working week as it is small and light, and has USB-C. I like the idea of a ZX300, with it's higher output, Sony OS, and ability to install the firmwares - the mods would be a possible later upgrade. Probably people might favour the A306, and I'll potentially get shot down for saying it, but having come from years of very low output Sony daps I feel the A306 lacks driving power for dynamic driver iems.

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #12,801 of 12,862
I feel the A306 lacks driving power for dynamic driver iems.
That sounds strange. I have not compared the specifications of NW-A55 to NW-A306 yet. However, I would expect the successor (I.e. A306) to be better than its predecessor. I have A55 as well and use it with IER-Z1R. I cannot say A55 would have troubles driving it.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #12,802 of 12,862
That sounds strange. I have not compared the specifications of NW-A55 to NW-A306 yet. However, I would expect the successor (I.e. A306) to be better than its predecessor. I have A55 as well and use it with IER-Z1R. I cannot say A55 would have troubles driving it.
To me the A55 could not drive the Z1R all that well. The ZX300 just about manage on balanced and the 1Z does even better but the Tazzy does best

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #12,803 of 12,862
Thanks. My new A306 is ideal for my 6 day working week as it is small and light, and has USB-C. I like the idea of a ZX300, with it's higher output, Sony OS, and ability to install the firmwares - the mods would be a possible later upgrade. Probably people might favour the A306, and I'll potentially get shot down for saying it, but having come from years of very low output Sony daps I feel the A306 lacks driving power for dynamic driver iems.
I much prefer the SonyOS to Android and the MrWalkman WalkmanOne fw upped the ante further

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #12,805 of 12,862
Anyone tried that mod that improved DAC mode latency?
It has never been released. A few members have trialed it on the 1A/1Z but that’s all

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #12,806 of 12,862
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about volume, and I understand that on paper the specs may be adequate. My experiences have been that some iems can be driven to perform better with higher powered output. Sony opts for long battery life, so some of their daps have quite low power output.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #12,807 of 12,862
Hi there.
I just got a NW-ZX300 "new-opened box" (which I hope it is true, now testing the battery). I have already updated it with Mr Walkman but I was wondering if someone could give me some tips regarding the player.
How long the battery should last for FLAC 16/24 bits usually? Is there a way to get percentage for the battery? Can the play time from the player be reset when doing a factory reset?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #12,808 of 12,862
How long the battery should last for FLAC 16/24 bits usually? Is there a way to get percentage for the battery? Can the play time from the player be reset when doing a factory reset?
Thanks!
Answers to your questions: 1) Please see the instructions manual available on the SONY Web page; 2) No, AFAIK; 3) Yes.

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #12,809 of 12,862
Hi there.
I just got a NW-ZX300 "new-opened box" (which I hope it is true, now testing the battery). I have already updated it with Mr Walkman but I was wondering if someone could give me some tips regarding the player.
Thanks!

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #12,810 of 12,862
Take a look as the NW-ZX300 online manual on the Sony website - very comprehensive.

FLAC (96 kHz/24 bit)26 hours23 hours
FLAC (192 kHz/24 bit)23 hours20 hours
I've found the Sony battery life data pretty accurate, and my older unit after 6 years hasn't dropped much below that. There's a basic 4-segment battery bar top-right corner of the screen.
When you state "Play time" do you mean "Sleep time" (i.e. player stops after a set time)? If so, yes: In Playback Settings menu you can turn "Sleep Timer ON and select up to 120 minutes in 30-minute increments.
There is an option to halt charging at 90% to optimise total lifetime of the battery...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back