Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #31 of 12,862
Jep. I think output power is more important than long battery life, I rater take a player that only plays 4 hours and can power everything than a player that plays 30 or more hours and already struggles to power some low impedance headphones

I think the the opposite. Most of the modern low impedance headphones are quite easy to drive, and if I want to drive power hungry headphones like planers then I'd have a desktop rig for it (also why would you be wearing open backs outside anyway?). 4hrs in my mind only qualifies as a transportable, not portable. A modern DAP must at least provide 10-12hrs playing FLACs powering 16-32ohm phones decently to be worth considering IMO.

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #32 of 12,862
Jep. I think output power is more important than long battery life, I rater take a player that only plays 4 hours and can power everything than a player that plays 30 or more hours and already struggles to power some low impedance headphones

I'd be willing to bet there are more people who would like longer battery life than 4 hours and are quite happy to choose appropriate headphones.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #34 of 12,862
depends what earphones and headphone you use, to me, higher output power has limited usage for me, i have xba-40, xba-30, mdr-nc750, and akg k551, i really appreciate the long battery life at 45 hours, i have even worked out at my current usage, ie, require charging every 5 days, by the time i done 600 charges it will be at least 2024

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #35 of 12,862
I'd be willing to bet there are more people who would like longer battery life than 4 hours and are quite happy to choose appropriate headphones.
I can totally understand that point tho, I for example am not able to always have a nice amp with me and I dont really like most of the pocket sized ones and thats a reason why I want a DAP with higher output power.
But I think no matter what you want long battery life or a bit more output power this player will be very nice. The only bigger flaw I see at the moment is the already mentioned low capacity, I cannot hear a difference between CD and Hi-Res, but it is 2017 and flash storage is pretty cheap, I would happily pay 50-150$ more to have 128 or 256 GB in built or a second micro sd card slot. Its a little bummer Sony keeps pushing Hi-Res files all this years but most of there players have limited space.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #36 of 12,862
Pretty sure Sony just saw that price bracket the big sellers all came with 64G and went with that trend. eg AK300, KANN, Onkyo DP-X1A.

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #37 of 12,862
Pretty sure Sony just saw that price bracket the big sellers all came with 64G and went with that trend. eg AK300, KANN, Onkyo DP-X1A.

But the Kann has 2 card slots for handling large libraries which Sony should be alive to.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #38 of 12,862
But the Kann has 2 card slots for handling large libraries which Sony should be alive to.

The KANN is also a brick that is unusually thick giving them plenty of room to put in that extra slot.

Also I don't know how people get such a big library - I have around 500 hi-res songs and that is just around 60GB (I have some DSD256 files, so remove those and it will go MUCH smaller). My entire library is only 150G, which means if I get a 256GB SD slot I can fit my entire library and still have spare...

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #39 of 12,862
The KANN is also a brick that is unusually thick giving them plenty of room to put in that extra slot.

Also I don't know how people get such a big library - I have around 500 hi-res songs and that is just around 60GB (I have some DSD256 files, so remove those and it will go MUCH smaller). My entire library is only 150G, which means if I get a 256GB SD slot I can fit my entire library and still have spare...

Gulp! Minimalism at its most efficient! I am guilty of having different versions of the same album and same songs having different file types. I gave a wrap to my knuckle and stopped short of 1 TB :frowning2:
I agree with your assertion and metaphor drawn to a brick. I also find it interesting that they claim a loong (sic) battery life. However having those ridiculous infirmities some really do love it.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #40 of 12,862
Gulp! Minimalism at its most efficient! I am guilty of having different versions of the same album and same songs having different file types. I gave a wrap to my knuckle and stopped short of 1 TB :frowning2:
I agree with your assertion and metaphor drawn to a brick. I also find it interesting that they claim a loong (sic) battery life. However having those ridiculous infirmities some really do love it.

Well outside of DSDs and some hi-res 32bit WAVs my library is a mix of 256kbps AAC, 320kbps mp3 or FLACs, I've already purged old low bitrate files either via re-ripping from CDs to FLAC or download a high quality version so I don't need the same album in different formats (actually once iOS 11 comes and support FLACs natively then I'll just rip straight to FLACs which would be sweet, no more format juggling!). I am guilty of collecting the same songs from different masters though (different album release for example) because the mixing could be different which lead to different sound quality, but still I don't see how people build up such giant libraries that they can't fit in a 128GB/256GB card.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #41 of 12,862
Well outside of DSDs and some hi-res 32bit WAVs my library is a mix of 256kbps AAC, 320kbps mp3 or FLACs, I've already purged old low bitrate files either via re-ripping from CDs to FLAC or download a high quality version so I don't need the same album in different formats (actually once iOS 11 comes and support FLACs natively then I'll just rip straight to FLACs which would be sweet, no more format juggling!). I am guilty of collecting the same songs from different masters though (different album release for example) because the mixing could be different which lead to different sound quality, but still I don't see how people build up such giant libraries that they can't fit in a 128GB/256GB card.

Probably i as i already stand charged guilty i thought the mention of songs on few different languages would also be a reason for a bloated library. I am working on it though to trip it to 500 gigs.

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #42 of 12,862
562f1a4c.png

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #43 of 12,862
does anyone know how long it takes for these typically to hit the shelves after the IFA showcase?

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #44 of 12,862
does anyone know how long it takes for these typically to hit the shelves after the IFA showcase?
It's Sony we are talking about. If last year's release is anything to go by, then a couple of months. But it could also be half a year...
Normally though, every electronics brand that releases new products before Christmas tries to make sure that their products are on the shelves by that time.

edit: that doesn't mean it'll be available where you live. It's well possible you'll have to resort to importing the player;

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #45 of 12,862
Looks like only one micro SD slot. In that case it will need 128 GB of internal storage to be of interest - assuming this will have a real world price. Not holding my breath here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back