SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 12, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #2,791 of 14,773
Within my review it was ALWAYS balanced.

The more complex the better. If you add in something that highly relies on timing cues (funk, techno, dubstep.. and even complex classical piano work by true masters) that's good too.

Quote:

The cradle is nice BUT I have very little desk space available here PLUS (generally for ALL gear home and portable) I find that using battery power can be better than AC or having AC hooked up. Always listen as much as possible only via battery power without any electrical power hooked up... and have very clean power here PLUS i use APC S15 or S10 PLUS a grand total of around 700 lbs of batteries. Here's some info on the S15

www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=S15BLK&tab=features

So while I like the IDEA of the dock, I dislike that you have AC within the circuit. JMHO and why I'm using just the various accessory cables, which happen to cost less overall and can take said cables with me and use them with external DACs, etc. So there are benefits both financially and in actual use/convenience. Hope this help.

Good to know the cradle is not a necessity. At 150$ its not cheap and if I can use the 30 $ cable to get digital out into my DAC, I'm fine. BTW did you try doing digital out from the zx2?

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #2,793 of 14,773
Good to know the cradle is not a necessity. At 150$ its not cheap and if I can use the 30 $ cable to get digital out into my DAC, I'm fine. BTW did you try doing digital out from the zx2?

Waiting for the cable from Japan. Got mine off eBay, yet Amazon has them too

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426158470&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=sony+nw-zx2+charging+cable

Really stupid question guys but does the Sony come with its own charger and or cable?

Yes the charging cable is included and plugs into a standard USB power source. You can order more aftermarket charging cables for about $10/ea off Amazon. Since they are proprietary, it is good to have a few extra just in case imho.

http://www.amazon.com/ANiceS-Cable-NW-ZX1-NW-ZX2-PLAYER/dp/B00SIVYO2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426158470&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+nw-zx2+charging+cable

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #2,794 of 14,773

Waiting for the cable from Japan. Got mine off eBay, yet Amazon has them too

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426158470&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=sony+nw-zx2+charging+cable

Really stupid question guys but does the Sony come with its own charger and or cable?

Yes it is included and you can order more aftermarket charging cables for about $10/ea off Amazon. Since they are proprietary, it is good to have a few extra just in case imho.

http://www.amazon.com/ANiceS-Cable-NW-ZX1-NW-ZX2-PLAYER/dp/B00SIVYO2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426158470&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+nw-zx2+charging+cable

I think it comes with the cable, not charger.

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #2,795 of 14,773
I've
Still very early for me to have an opinion about this DAP 24hrs into break in, but it's revealing hidden sounds in all kinds of recording.
But so far I like all the music I've heard through it, very balanced and smooth no sound seems out of place. Haven't had a single use for equaliser's. Which I'm preferring.
The switching speed of this amp is amazing it seems to recover from any complex passage, with room to spare.

Another interesting thing I am finding is the way sounds seem to float around in a 3d way while other sounds appear, from position around you. It's been sending goosebumps all over, it's been delivering the goods so far.

I have a new respect for class D amplifiers, especially the way Sony has implemented this one.

How you finding the zx2 jamato8, now it's run in?

I've had a new found respect for class D amps since the Benchmark :relieved: think class D will only get even better as time goes on ...as its a good level now

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #2,797 of 14,773
Still very early for me to have an opinion about this DAP 24hrs into break in, but it's revealing hidden sounds in all kinds of recording.
But so far I like all the music I've heard through it, very balanced and smooth no sound seems out of place. Haven't had a single use for equaliser's. Which I'm preferring.
The switching speed of this amp is amazing it seems to recover from any complex passage, with room to spare.

Another interesting thing I am finding is the way sounds seem to float around in a 3d way while other sounds appear, from position around you. It's been sending goosebumps all over, it's been delivering the goods so far.

I have a new respect for class D amplifiers, especially the way Sony has implemented this one.

How you finding the zx2 jamato8, now it's run in?

This 3D imagine will be super awesome with ATH IM-04. I found stock cables to be very good in 3D imagines....and upgraded cables are good with 2 D soundstage and mind staggering musical details.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #2,799 of 14,773
I agree, for me the Sony S Master daps excel at timing, which also creates great imaging, spacial cues and energy portrayal. Any music will benefit, but the faster the pace of the music the more apparent it becomes. Sony ZX1 was my gym dap, coupled with trance music, no other dap could get me busting moves in the gym like the ZX1, although my current modded dx90 with 2.1.8L could probably give a ZX1 a run for its money.

Im dying to get a ZX2, truly miss the Sony sound, but my other numerous hobbies have been eating my money. The problem is that if I get a ZX2 it may end up getting gym duty, I just cant resist Sony sound in the gym
biggrin.gif

Not that I want to become a tempter, but...if you thought the ZX1 had great imaging, timing and energy, then the ZX2 is able to provide those elements in quantities that transcend human understanding.

Okay, okay, enough with the hyperbole. But seriously, switching between the ZX1 and ZX2 makes for quite a stark contrast. The sound signatures between the two devices is similar, but the ZX2 really does take it to a noticeably and distinctly higher level. So much so, it makes the ZX1 sound fairly anemic when compared back-to-back.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #2,801 of 14,773
I agree, for me the Sony S Master daps excel at timing, which also creates great imaging, spacial cues and energy portrayal. Any music will benefit, but the faster the pace of the music the more apparent it becomes. Sony ZX1 was my gym dap, coupled with trance music, no other dap could get me busting moves in the gym like the ZX1, although my current modded dx90 with 2.1.8L could probably give a ZX1 a run for its money.

Im dying to get a ZX2, truly miss the Sony sound, but my other numerous hobbies have been eating my money. The problem is that if I get a ZX2 it may end up getting gym duty, I just cant resist Sony sound in the gym
biggrin.gif

Can you name them purely for fun.

Just consider that the ZX2 is considerably bigger and heavier than a ZX1....I am not sure it would make a good gym buddy for these reasons alone

By lugging the ZX2 around he doesn't need to go to the gym.
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #2,802 of 14,773
Another technical footnote is that the measured dynamic range of the ZX2 is approx 100dB compared to 92dB on the ZX1. I don't know how noticeable an 8dB increase in dynamic range is but just thought I would mention it. Note that the full dynamic range of 24-bit would be higher at 144 dB. This means technically the ZX1 didn't even hit the 96dB range of 16 bit regular CDs. However, it is very important to understand that you cannot hear 144dB of dynamic range anyway. Technically a hi-res recording is not just about the range, but the resolution of those dynamics within the range used in the recording. There was a storm on the ZX1 thread about the dynamic range as if it meant that hi-res would be useless...which was misplaced and not well understood.

On the other hand, there are those that strongly suggest the human ear is unable to hear any difference between hi-res and 16 bit / 44.1kHz anyway....and that apparent differences are mastering differences rather than anything to do with hi-res

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #2,803 of 14,773
I've
I've had a new found respect for class D amps since the Benchmark :relieved: think class D will only get even better as time goes on ...as its a good level now

It seems class D is starting to creep into high end audio, if they sound this good, bring it on I say.
Their very efficient, and generally have 90% or higher efficiency, which is bringing us great battery life, also very low heat and very few components. Creating overall reduced cost of the amp, oh well. Not this time.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #2,804 of 14,773
This 3D imagine will be super awesome with ATH IM-04. I found stock cables to be very good in 3D imagines....and upgraded cables are good with 2 D soundstage and mind staggering musical details.

Wouldn't mind testing the IM-04 and several others, although I figure I may and well stick with the ue900, and go for the k10, when my wallet recovers.
But your right its remarkable the diffrence a good cable can make to some iem's. It's almost comical trying to plug the stock cable back in.
Especially with the UE 900 crud stock cable, it trashes sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back