SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 2, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #2,267 of 14,773
  Anyone have an opinion as to when those of us in the U.S. can buy directly from Amazon (as opposed to third-party store front)?

I would expect to see it on Amazon on the official release date.  I think they got burned a bit by listing the MDR-Z7 early and Sony kept missing shipping deadlines.  And Amazon might have been burned a bit on additional shipping expenses.  (mine were shipped overnight instead of Prime, just to hit the deadline)

Is today the US release date (March 2nd) ?

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #2,268 of 14,773
  Sorry had a bit of a busy weekend, and forgot that I did indeed get a reply.
It was not of much use however, as they seem to have given me a blanket response telling me to contact the sales team, to which I thought my original email was directed, seeing as I had done it through their support form :s

I didn't get a chance to email using the address provided, but I will do so today.
I'm hoping that the 9th March date you were given is not the case!

EDIT: Just noticed that the Amazon UK Pre-order page now says 'Temporarily Out of Stock' :s

Amazon normally suddenly switch like that if one of two things has happened
1) The expected stock has not arrived
2) They have sold out of their pre-order stock but not had a date for the next batch yet

So I don't think we can really tell much from the Amazon change. The Sony website is often slow and inaccurate to update from previous experience. New orders still say 4th-5th of March when adding the item to the basket.

A few years ago I ordered the HMZ-T1 video headset and the dates were approaching rapidly for the pre-order. I called up and asked them what was happening, and they told me no stock had arrived in the UK yet and it was looking like a 2-3 week delay. Then the very same afternoon I got a dispatched note!

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #2,269 of 14,773
Narrowly averted disaster yesterday. Listening to music while sitting at the computer desk, I forgot that I was plugged into the ZX2 and I got up and walked away. Yanked headphones out of the player, pulled the player off the desk, and it landed a foot from the metal foot rest of my chair. It was not in its leather case. :sob: I screamed.

Luckily it did not hit the metal bar and there was no damage. From now on I'm keeping it in the leather case at all times unless it's in my pocket.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,270 of 14,773
Narrowly averted disaster yesterday. Listening to music while sitting at the computer desk, I forgot that I was plugged into the ZX2 and I got up and walked away. Yanked headphones out of the player, pulled the player off the desk, and it landed a foot from the metal foot rest of my chair. It was not in its leather case. :sob: I screamed.

Luckily it did not hit the metal bar and there was no damage. From now on I'm keeping it in the leather case at all times unless it's in my pocket.

Whew! You're lucky. You could have seriously damaged your chair!

Just to be on the safe side, I'd have a licensed carpenter check your subfloor and make sure the structural integrity of your building is intact.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #2,272 of 14,773

I would expect to see it on Amazon on the official release date.  I think they got burned a bit by listing the MDR-Z7 early and Sony kept missing shipping deadlines.  And Amazon might have been burned a bit on additional shipping expenses.  (mine were shipped overnight instead of Prime, just to hit the deadline)

Is today the US release date (March 2nd) ?

I thought so, but I don't see any status change on my order. Guess I'll wait some more.
Anyone pair the MDR-Z7 with the ZX2? I just bought my pair last week and they sound great, thru the Ipod touch.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,273 of 14,773

Anyone pair the MDR-Z7 with the ZX2? I just bought my pair last week and they sound great, thru the Ipod touch.

I could be completely wrong (as I haven't yet recieved my ZX2, nor own the Z7's) but I don't think the ZX2 on it's own would be powerful enough to drive the Z7's to their full potential... at least that is the impression I got when reading up about both products.
Hopefully somebody here that has their hands on both could clear this up.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #2,274 of 14,773
I run three phones through ZX2: koss ksc 35's, DUNU Titans, and Beyer Dynamic t-90's. Best sound goes to Beyer. Second place: Dunu. It runs the t-90's with power to spare. No amp. I use these most of the time at home. I tried my topping nx 1 through the wmport on the zx2 but I prefer the sound direct from the player.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #2,275 of 14,773
The Foster TH900 are easy to drive and sound lean on the ZX2. I prefer them with an amp. The DX90 drives the 900 without a problem. I love the case of the ZX2. Beautifully designed. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #2,276 of 14,773
  The Foster TH900 are easy to drive and sound lean on the ZX2. I prefer them with an amp. The DX90 drives the 900 without a problem. I love the case of the ZX2. Beautifully designed. 

How does the ZX2 compare vs your HM901 and AK100II?
As well as their DSD conversion vs your other DSD sources?

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #2,277 of 14,773

How does the ZX2 compare vs your HM901 and AK100II?
As well as their DSD conversion vs your other DSD sources?

I don't know yet. I have been burning in then ZX2 and think it is there now. I heard changes as it went through the 1st 100 hours and less but some important things like greater transparency in the 2nd 100 hours. I will compare soon now. I have the Ak100II warmed up. The 100II better do well in performance for what I spent for it. The Sony is extremely good! 

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #2,279 of 14,773
  I could be completely wrong (as I haven't yet recieved my ZX2, nor own the Z7's) but I don't think the ZX2 on it's own would be powerful enough to drive the Z7's to their full potential... at least that is the impression I got when reading up about both products.
Hopefully somebody here that has their hands on both could clear this up.

If the Z7's need extra power, I have the Chord Hugo to do those duties. Wow! I wonder how that will sound? ZX2 connected to the Hugo, I'll let you know when I find out.
wink_face.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #2,280 of 14,773

If the Z7's need extra power, I have the Chord Hugo to do those duties. Wow! I wonder how that will sound? ZX2 connected to the Hugo, I'll let you know when I find out.
wink_face.gif

Then the ZX2 with a digital out would just be a transport and many daps can do that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back