SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 13, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,051 of 14,773

If I'm correct, I think I read somewhere that you can put DSD in it, but it will convert it internally to PCM.

i only have a few DSF files, but the zx2 had no problems handling them and they sounded great. experimented a bit with the DSEE HX option and it seems to add a touch more resolution and possibly cut back on vocal sibilance? will be acquiring more once a friend emails me some mora music codes :wink:

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,052 of 14,773

i only have a few DSF files, but the zx2 had no problems handling them and they sounded great. experimented a bit with the DSEE HX option and it seems to add a touch more resolution and possibly cut back on vocal sibilance? will be acquiring more once a friend emails me some mora music codes :wink:

Have you tried any Bluetooth streaming?

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,053 of 14,773

Yikes, that promo makes me cringe!
blink.gif

Extremely contrived acting and the marketing team who made this promo didn't miss an opportunity to embed some blatant and seedy sexual connotation, either (01:43).

well it is Sony's own advert.

Yeah, they're really showing some class, aren't they?

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,054 of 14,773
Anyone here keeping their ZX1 to compare with the ZX2, or is everyone selling the former to buy the latter?

Would be interested to hear some side-by-side comparisons.

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,055 of 14,773
Another question for those in the UK - do you know if any UK retailers will have this on demonstration?

Since the Sony Center franchises have drastically reduced during the past few years of economic downturn, it's no longer easy to hear Sony's niche flagship products outside of London.

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,056 of 14,773
  So does the ZX2 do balanced?

I find it curious that Sony are being so quiet about balanced capability, if they have implemented it. Honestly, I wonder why, as it's a nice feature to publicise for audiophiles.

I am surprised it does not do DSD native. It states it plays DSD but it doesn't say that it is changed to PCM. I don't have a problem with DoP but I imagine they change to PCM hirez. 

Yes, that is what I read. I am surprised that Sony of all companies, did not do native DSD. I think they had something to do with DSD. lol 

It could be that doing native DSD uses a lot more current, not sure. The X3 2nd gen. does native dsd and I think it is around 200 dollars and gets many hours playing DSD. so. . Anyway on with the show and music!

Perhaps they don't wish to open a can of worms for the wider market, outside of us audiophile geeks, by mentioning it in the website specs or promo materials. I agree, though, that, considering Sony are a major player in bringing Hi-res to the wider marketplace, it is odd that they are not pushing DSD much harder, by supporting it natively in their flagship DAP. It would be interesting to see an interview with the engineering team discussing the issue, but I don't suppose they'll wish to address the issue publicly, as it's probably a bit embarrassing.

Incidentally, I wonder how many ZX1/ZX2 owners use the DSP features? (personally. I found them counter-productive, on the ZX1, but 'each to their own')

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,057 of 14,773
Sony so often done that. They bring in a new technology that really is better than the rest and then back away and let it die. Real smart strategy there. They have done it with SACD and they did it with Betamax. Betamax was superior to VHS but Sony let it die and they haven't really supported SACD, releasing nothing now and not making their SACD disc hybrid, which opens up the market to more people to later explore the SACD side. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,058 of 14,773
  Anyone here keeping their ZX1 to compare with the ZX2, or is everyone selling the former to buy the latter?

Would be interested to hear some side-by-side comparisons.

Normally I use the sale of my former DAPs to fund the purchase of my newer DAPs. But for some reason, I find myself unwilling to part with the ZX1. I dunno. I guess maybe I view it as something of a "watershed" device? Well, whatever the reason, it's my intention to compare the sound signatures of both of them. I've already put together a playlist of various high-res, DSD, FLAC rips of CDs, LPs and 256Kbit AAC files and have begin listening to it intensely—to burn the peculiarities and idiosyncrasies of the ZX1 into my head before listening to the ZX2.

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #1,059 of 14,773
  Sony so often done that. They bring in a new technology that really is better than the rest and then back away and let it die. Real smart strategy there. They have done it with SACD and they did it with Betamax. Betamax was superior to VHS but Sony let it die and they haven't really supported SACD, releasing nothing now and not making their SACD disc hybrid, which opens up the market to more people to later explore the SACD side. 

To be fair, I suspect SACD is partly a victim of being released prior to Hi-Res consciousness hitting the mass-market, and relatively few SACD pressing plants existing, and the fact that digital downloads are in the ascendency, this past few years. Altogether, then, it's been an uphill battle. I've never owned an SACD player, but I'd nonetheless be happy to see SACDs continue for a few years more.

Sony did make a wise move with Blu-ray - in fact, they stole victory from the jaws of defeat. HD-DVD was set to be the winner in that particular format war, because HD-DVD discs could be produced on very similar equipment to that already well-established for DVD production. However, the PS3 was a massively-established console that included Blu-ray playback, so rather than half the world buying HD-DVD players, a massive number of gamers already had Blu-ray playback in their homes, leaving a smaller number of non-gamers to purchase a dedicated player for new hi-def discs...and thus, Blu-ray won-out to become the default format, much to the chagrin of disc replicators around the world.

All in all, though, I find Sony a very peculiar company, this past few years. Very, very inconsistent at the top levels of the company.

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,060 of 14,773
  Normally I use the sale of my former DAPs to fund the purchase of my newer DAPs. But for some reason, I find myself unwilling to part with the ZX1. I dunno. I guess maybe I view it as something of a "watershed" device? Well, whatever the reason, it's my intention to compare the sound signatures of both of them. I've already put together a playlist of various high-res, DSD, FLAC rips of CDs, LPs and 256Kbit AAC files and have begin listening to it intensely—to burn the peculiarities and idiosyncrasies of the ZX1 into my head before listening to the ZX2.

Well, the ZX1 is undeniably a beautifully-made, solidly-hewn device. I take my hat off to Sony for the chassis + ergonomics of the ZX1.

I look forward to hearing your comparisons between the two sibling DAPs 
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,061 of 14,773
Congrats to the new owners of the ZX2, could any of you people let us know about the battery life on this device?  I am so close to pulling the trigger and so far all of my boxes are ticked except for one: the battery.  If it is like my f886 then I cant do it lol.

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,063 of 14,773
True this player has fm radio? Read about that somewhere.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-microsd-slot-33-hours-hi-res-playback/885#post_11292770

But worth double-checking, in case the USA site is perhaps slightly incorrect (especially since the USA site states that the ZX2 is 10mw+10mw, when it should actually be 15mw + 15mw).

For example, I do not see any mention of FM radio on the UK website:

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-zx2/specifications

I also do not see any mention of FM radio on the Japan website:

http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-ZX2/spec.html

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #1,064 of 14,773

I find it curious that Sony are being so quiet about balanced capability, if they have implemented it. Honestly, I wonder why, as it's a nice feature to publicise for audiophiles.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't announced support products for the ZX2, like Kimber options that were showcased for the Z7, Z5 and PHA-3.  Might there be an issue forcing Sony to delay an announcement?

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,065 of 14,773
  Congrats to the new owners of the ZX2, could any of you people let us know about the battery life on this device?  I am so close to pulling the trigger and so far all of my boxes are ticked except for one: the battery.  If it is like my f886 then I cant do it lol.

I like to know the total storage for apps, better still with everything deleted (except the play store or important apps) or disabled from the unit, the ZX 1 had only 1GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back