SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 16, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #8,266 of 14,773
Oct 16, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #8,267 of 14,773
  BYE BYE SONY WALKMAN
frown.gif

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-10-01/sony-spins-off-walkman-into-new-company

You didn't understand the video did you?
Sony is holding on to the Walkman rights and shares,
its going to be called "Sony Video and Audio Group",
so its technically still Sony.

Although... I am a bit surprised the audio business of Sony is actually making a good profit...
(unlike the Vaio line they sold off)

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #8,268 of 14,773
Bit of a silly question, but does different quality of LOD provides different volume, or is it locked via ZX2's software?

I'm just so bummed the volume from LOD is soooooo LOW.  I really wished I could pair my ZX2 with my VorzAmp Pure II+ but I just can't, as both my SE846 and Angie's have clear hissing (the low volume LOD forces me to use mid-gain, causing hiss).  I know its arguable that the ZX2 doesn't really need an AMP, but hey, when you've got one of the best portable amps in the market period, I want to freakin' use it!

Oct 16, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #8,269 of 14,773

Although... I am a bit surprised the audio business of Sony is actually making a good profit...

Sony didn't totally sell the vaio brand, they still hold share to the brand, it's only the international market, in japan they still sell the vaio under sony.

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #8,270 of 14,773

Probably want to give all of the divisions in question more opportunity to innovate and move more quickly. Tough to move quickly at a really big company, and this probably splits them away from at least some levels of bureaucracy. And the businesses are related. Much of the audio stuff is home theater, which relates closely to the TVs Plus, if they're looking at potential investors, having something in the division that makes some money will make it a more attractive proposition. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #8,271 of 14,773
Oct 16, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #8,272 of 14,773
which are the signs of a defective capacitor on sound quality? just curious because LOL one pc at work had defective Cap and failed to boot LOL

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #8,273 of 14,773

Does that mean the ZX100 is better than the ZX2 ?

Really don't know but sony engineers seem to point so... mine still on burn-in phase it changes from time to time, it was a bit harsh a while ago but now seems to be like some describe zx2 warm msuical & natural

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #8,274 of 14,773
My own experiences (not heard zx2 nor zx1) but based off description sof several reviews here and other blogs and sony interviews... seems ZX100 is gravitating more towards ZX-2 SQ as per some head-fiers descriptions of the zx2 sound namely warm & rich sound , naturalness of sound, never heard a sound like this not even on the fiio x3 original 1st gen

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #8,275 of 14,773
My own experiences (not heard zx2 nor zx1) but based off description sof several reviews here and other blogs and sony interviews... seems ZX100 is gravitating more towards ZX-2 SQ as per some head-fiers descriptions of the zx2 sound namely warm & rich sound , naturalness of sound, never heard a sound like this not even on the fiio x3 original 1st gen

It may sound better than ZX2 in TRS connection, but won't do against ZX2 TRRS connection :D.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #8,277 of 14,773
Well I followed the link with Google foxed up translation. Actually the design were based on both ZX1/2 and improved upon it.

They still admit ZX2 is the flagship, and further improved sound on the same principle....so hang on to the ZX100 > ZX2 :D

1/ larger, thicker copper plated chassis and shielding than ZX2
2/ twice as much the capacity of the ZX1
3/ ZX1 used 4 Caps, and now ZX100 is using the same number of 4 Caps, but with larger capacity at 2x as much
4/ ZX2 used 7 caps at the same capacity as ZX1
5/ ZX100 doesn't use large and thick filmed resistors and trans as ZX2, it is using the same components from ZX1
6/ the printed circuit board, or substrate, is now properly filled with copper at the junction joins ( even the screws were properly filled with conductive adhesive ) ..to avoid empty spaces which would alternate the quality......zx2 didn't have this or the thicker chassis and shielding.
7/ 5 wires going to the aux out with 3 being for TRS sound output and 2 smaller one for microphone. No TRRS

So, you know what I concluded from all this ? ZX2 has different body and chassis, but beside that, if someone replace the 7 CAPs on the ZX2 to a larger one, the sound would improve !!

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #8,278 of 14,773
There is a big thing going with newest Chord DAC - Mojo. I am quite happy with ZX2 and Angie, but I have Seinnheiser  HD800, Audeze LCD-2 (early version) and Denon 7000 which I'd like to use as well. I tried Objective 2 amp via ZX2 LOD, had to increase gain ratio on O2, since LOD on Sony is very low.. Also, sound is degraded compared to ZX2 amp (Steven mentioned about some "magic" which is gone, when you use external amp).

Anyone tried ZX2 with Mojo yet? Is it possible to get full hi res signal out of the ZX2 (DSD in particular)? Works well with those headphones?

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #8,280 of 14,773
  There is a big thing going with newest Chord DAC - Mojo. I am quite happy with ZX2 and Angie, but I have Seinnheiser  HD800, Audeze LCD-2 (early version) and Denon 7000 which I'd like to use as well. I tried Objective 2 amp via ZX2 LOD, had to increase gain ratio on O2, since LOD on Sony is very low.. Also, sound is degraded compared to ZX2 amp (Steven mentioned about some "magic" which is gone, when you use external amp).

Anyone tried ZX2 with Mojo yet? Is it possible to get full hi res signal out of the ZX2 (DSD in particular)? Works well with those headphones?

ZX2 doesn't do DSD natively by itself. So NO, it cannot digital-out DSD to Mojo.

Mojo only take in digital input, and so by using digital connection, the ZX2 is only a transport....yes....the magical sound of zx2 won't be there

I don't see the downside to this. You can still use ZX2 by itself and enjoy its magical sound, and experience Chord's little wonder also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back