SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #781 of 14,755

What would make it truly special if Sony stopped using Android and make it an audio player exclusively. No Internet etc.

That's called airplane mode... 

is true that the WMC-NWH10 depletes the player's battery faster than using a fiio L5 LOD?

if any one can ask my question about the DIGITAL OUT cable vs the ANALOGUE OUT be either F880, A10 or ZX1,ZX2 thanks

Yes digital out drains out at a prodigious rate. Ruined the ZX1 for me. Line out gave no issue. No idea why digital out uses so much power compared to other DAPS.

We don't know yet if that's true for the ZX2, right..?

Well I preordered one... I know it's an expensive player, and there is much uncertainty as to how it will sound, but I am banking on it sounding at least marginally better than the ZX1 did- enough to cause me to not miss the DX90 hopefully (it's for sale)! The slick UI, design, presence now of a micro SD card slot, battery time, are all just part of what makes the whole package pretty darn enticing to me. Seems I'll have a Z player again soon enough. 

What would make it truly special if Sony stopped using Android and make it an audio player exclusively. No Internet etc.

or Walkman A17

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #782 of 14,755
Just read another crap article from Gizmodo that the ZX2 is continue being **** on by the public.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #783 of 14,755
  Just read another crap article from Gizmodo that the ZX2 is continue being **** on by the public.

I'm starting to think Sony should have released the A10 series and the ZX2 at the same time.  Maybe it would have sent a different message to the public.  "Hey, here's the audiophile DAP, but hey we also have a player for 'Joe Average' too".

I never see a mention of the A17 in any of the ZX2 bashing articles and youtube vids...

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #784 of 14,755
Ohh the comments!
rolleyes.gif

-''I imagine the number of audiophiles willing to pay that price for a Sony Walkman can be counted in the tens.''

-''they can't, they're too busy demagnetizing their CDs and buying pillars to keep their "interconnects" off of the floor and crowing about how they can hear a mouse fart from a mile away''.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #785 of 14,755
Spent about an hour at Sony Building in Ginza doing an A/B between the ZX2 and my AK240 using my Noble K10. I also had my A17 on hand, and did a short A/B between the A17/PHA-3 setup and the ZX2/PHA-3 they had on display.

AK240/ZX2 - To be fair, I used the balanced output on the AK240, and used an adapter (same cable) to listen to the ZX2. The tracks used for the comparison included Norah Jones, Daft Punk, Michael Jackson and a couple of jazz tracks (Dave Brubeck and Miles Davis). To make the long story short, the ZX2 was quite impressive. The overall presentation, including depth and width of the soundstage, balance across all frequencies and the level of detail, actually was leaps beyond the ZX1 or the X5, both of which I used to own, and even compared with the AK240, the ZX2 held up on its own. The AK240 had a slight advantage in the treble presentation and soundstage depth, but I actually preferred - hate to admit this - the bass impact of the Sony DAP. On the Daft Punk track, I clearly preferred the Sony over the AK240, as there was just a lot more sparkle and force wih the Sony...BTW, My AK240 is a plain vanilla one, and I am sure that the owners of RWAK mods have nothing to worry about, based on my limited experience with the mods. On jazz tracks, I still preferred the AK240 over the ZX2. I felt that the AK240 did a better job of conveying the sense of space and also a tiny-bit better on the detail/separation department.

A17/PHA-3 vs. ZX2/PHA-3
Only allocated a limited amount of time for this, mainly because I actually didn't notice any major difference between the two setups when I started listening. I guess it makes sense given that the DAPs were basically feeding digital signal to the PHA-3. The display setup had a Sony Z7 headphones with stock balanced cable for PHA-3, and I didn't bother swapping it out with my K10s.

Would I buy the ZX2? As an AK240 owner, it is just difficult to justify the additional cash outlay, or switching over completely. The sound quality of the ZX2 really surprised me, and the overall sound signature is different enough from the AK240, so it is really tempting... If I did not have the AK240, I would have a tough time choosing between the ZX2 and the AK240, as it may be difficult to justify the price difference between the two DAPs on sound quality alone... If you already have the A17 and PHA-3, and you primarily listen via the PHA-3, it also doesn't make too much sense to buy the ZX2 unless you do or die with DSD playback functionality... The upgrade should be a no brainer for the ZX1 owners, and anyone starting from a clean slate looking for a high-end DAP should definitely give the ZX2 a listen.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #787 of 14,755
The overall presentation, including depth and width of the soundstage, balance across all frequencies and the level of detail, actually was leaps beyond the ZX1...
...I actually preferred - hate to admit this - the bass impact of the Sony DAP. On the Daft Punk track, I clearly preferred the Sony over the AK240, as there was just a lot more sparkle and force wih the Sony.
The sound quality of the ZX2 really surprised me... The upgrade should be a no brainer for the ZX1 owners, and anyone starting from a clean slate looking for a high-end DAP should definitely give the ZX2 a listen.

SOLD!

Just pre-ordered from PriceJapan.

Hmm. Now I kinda know how Bleeding Gums Murphy feels about his $1,500 dollar a day Fabergé Egg habit...
beyersmile.png

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #788 of 14,755
Obviously, impedance varies, relative to frequency, but Noble state that the K10 has an approximate "Impedance < 35"

Some CIEMs have an impedance that dips to less than half that.

Since Sony are so cagey about admitting what OI the ZX1/ZX2 is, it will be interesting to see how the ZX2 fares with a CIEM like UM's Miracle.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #789 of 14,755
Not that the AK240 is known for its powerful amp, the ZX2 did pack slightly more "juice" than the AK240 at similar volume levels...Neither would produce ideal results with power-hungry cans, IMHO.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #791 of 14,755
debating if i should get this on preorder and wait out on it and hopefully get a dropped price (i heard sony's walkman go down in price pretty quick)...since i don't have iem's also debating what i should get...currently lookign at XBA-Z5's....any suggestions?

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #792 of 14,755
  debating if i should get this on preorder and wait out on it and hopefully get a dropped price (i heard sony's walkman go down in price pretty quick)...since i don't have iem's also debating what i should get...currently lookign at XBA-Z5's....any suggestions?

Well the ZX1 didn't go down in price, but it did start off selling at an inflated price due to low stock and high demand, but once the stock situation was sorted out the ZX1 didn't move from its retail price of $699. Its less likely the ZX2 will have a low stock, high demand situation, as its so expensive there will be less buyers. Anyway so far it seems that ZX2 launch prices are the same as the retail price of ZX2, so I doubt the price will fluctuate much if at all.

Since Sony are so cagey about admitting what OI the ZX1/ZX2 is, it will be interesting to see how the ZX2 fares with a CIEM like UM's Miracle.

I can only hazard a guess that the output impedance is low on the Sony daps, just by going off the sound off the ZX1 compared to DX90, with the Harmony 8 Pro and W60.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #793 of 14,755
I assume no, but is there any preorder bonuses for the nw-zx2 in the USA?  I think EU had 20 hi-res downloads and Japan had discounts on accessories, don't see a word of mention on sony usa website (the store side at least)

also, does the usa one come with the leather case like Japan does (the one that pockets, not the flip)

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #794 of 14,755
Also got in the XBA-Z5 today, paired with the ZX1 it produces some very nice sound. I'd say its the most smooth, romantic, airy sound I've ever heard from an iem, the detail is presented in a unique way, in layers upon layers of smooth sound. Bass is big, but there is thankfully no upper bass bloat whatsoever, mid bass is big, but remains tight, sub bass does have some decay to it. The mids are extremely beautiful for me, they are so smooth and airy and the detail has a way of just rolling over you romantically from a wide stage, rather than just being thrust upfront in your face, I'd describe the treble similarly to the mids but with a tiny bit more energy. Overall, its a very unique and enjoyable sound. On first listen I knew the Z5 were keepers, and its not often that happens for me, with most iems I usually dislike them first before coming to accept them for what they are.

I assume no, but is there any preorder bonuses for the nw-zx2 in the USA?  I think EU had 20 hi-res downloads and Japan had discounts on accessories, don't see a word of mention on sony usa website (the store side at least)

also, does the usa one come with the leather case like Japan does (the one that pockets, not the flip)

Its possible there will be some launch bonuses in the US, nothing announced yet, you will just have to wait and see. And yes US will get the leather case with ZX2 same as everywhere else.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #795 of 14,755
although this is a zx2 thread...since you mentioned it..how would you rate the z5 from 1-10, and i guess, in opposite, what does it lack

another question that came into mind....does, at least the nw-zx1, have a music store for hi-res audio?  If yes, I assume the music store is region specific but are they based on the software/hardware from where it was manufactured or is it based on your IP Address?

If it does have a store and region specific, I may need to think about importing a japanese one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back