SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 20, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,516 of 14,773

Yes, I've tried Sandisk and Lexar. Sandisk actually uses flash memory very similar to Toshiba, they jointly developed a lot of their flash technology, but Sandisk does not build in Japan. Sandisk sounds nearly as good as Toshiba though, smaller capacity still sounds better to me with Sandisk. Lexar is owned by Micron, a large USA company that develops flash memory, they also have some good quality cards in smaller capacities. Samsung is my least favorite. These 4 companies all make their own flash memory, every other company buys from these guys and just puts their own name on it. Even Sony, its probably another reason why these premium sound sd cards are so expensive, because Sony would most likely have contracted the work out to either Toshiba, Sandisk, Micron or Samsung for the actual custom production of the cards, Sony just designed it most likely.

Thanks TRANCE. First Head Fi'er to identify Sony's OEM for this card gets a prize!!

Seems lower capacity cards yield better results. How about lower speed cards? 
Hmmmm... If I was a real nut job at Sony - I would have designed the ZX2 card slot chamber with a a EMI/RFI shield cage around it - but what to do with the contact pins....

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,517 of 14,773
  First Head Fi'er to identify Sony's OEM for this card gets a prize!!

My guess is Toshiba (not because of the internal memory chip having Toshiba ID, but because Toshiba are in Japan, rather than Korea or USA).

I suppose Sandisk could still be a contender, but they're not as 'old-skool' as Sony & Toshiba
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #1,519 of 14,773
  Thanks TRANCE. First Head Fi'er to identify Sony's OEM for this card gets a prize!!

Hmmmm... If I was a real nut job at Sony - I would have designed the ZX2 card slot chamber with a a EMI/RFI shield cage around it - but what to do with the contact pins....

Its probably Toshiba, maybe Sandisk.

Rudi, a headfier on here, is the guy who introduced me to the fact that sd cards could sound different. He also did a bunch of testing himself, including sandisk, Toshiba, low speed, high speed etc, and his end result was that Toshiba Exceria 8gb is the best sd card period. I personally never bothered to test low speed vs high speed, but I trust his findings. In my testing all cards were class 10 uhsi 1. It is sad that 8gb is the only rock solid performer, hopefully Sony is on to something with these 64gb cards, although I must say that even I am sceptical that Sony could reach the SQ of the Toshiba 8gb with a large capacity 64gb card, but if any one could do it, it would be Sony!

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,520 of 14,773
So .... Since we are on into the memory card do affect sound quality. My question would be.

If you transfer data from A card to Sony HD music "X" card. Will the X card inherit the bad sound quality fro the A card ? I ask to know what would be the best way to input data .

Thanks

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #1,522 of 14,773
If you transfer data from A card to Sony HD music "X" card. Will the X card inherit the bad sound quality fro the A card ? I ask to know what would be the best way to input data .

No a digital file is the same regardless of its storage container. You can swap data anyway you want. The different performance of SD cards is not related to anything digital, its related to its electrical performance.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,523 of 14,773
No a digital file is the same regardless of its storage container. The different performance of SD cards is not related to anything digital. You can swap data anyway you want

Thanks Trance. I will buy a Toshiba and give it a try. One more question, is there any specific reason or understanding of how a memory card can affect the sound ?

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #1,525 of 14,773

First Head Fi'er to identify Sony's OEM for this card gets a prize!!

My guess is Toshiba (not because of the internal memory chip having Toshiba ID, but because Toshiba are in Japan, rather than Korea or USA).

I suppose Sandisk could still be a contender, but they're not as 'old-skool' as Sony & Toshiba
biggrin.gif

There was a case with the Kingston 1GB- 2GB microsd cards (also made by Toshiba), the japan version were a lot faster than the Taiwan version,  people in Hong Kong were only buying the Japanese version as it will run all games for the NDS using the R4 cartridge, whiles the Taiwan version had problems with some games, people who used to use the R4 for the NDS will know what I'm saying.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #1,526 of 14,773
Thanks Trance. I will buy a Toshiba and give it a try. One more question, is there any specific reason or understanding of how a memory card can affect the sound ?

Its gotta be electrical noise lowering SQ, I'm no engineer and can't say how electrical noise negatively interacts with the circuitry, but my ears easily tell me that it causes imbalances in frequency response and higher noise floor.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,527 of 14,773

Its probably Toshiba, maybe Sandisk.

Rudi, a headfier on here, is the guy who introduced me to the fact that sd cards could sound different. He also did a bunch of testing himself, including sandisk, Toshiba, low speed, high speed etc, and his end result was that Toshiba Exceria 8gb is the best sd card period. I personally never bothered to test low speed vs high speed, but I trust his findings. In my testing all cards were class 10 uhsi 1. It is sad that 8gb is the only rock solid performer, hopefully Sony is on to something with these 64gb cards, although I must say that even I am sceptical that Sony could reach the SQ of the Toshiba 8gb with a large capacity 64gb card.

when sandisk had the 6GB cards and the ultra 8GB years ago, they were considered one of the best cards for speed, no cards upto 16GB on the market now even matches the performance of those cards, now discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back