SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 6, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #137 of 14,773

LOL - or maybe the ZX1 is digitally-processing the 16/44.1 in some non-beneficial way?
size]
     (I'm pulling your leg)
I'm glad you are mature enough to discuss my criticisms of a DAP you own without taking it personally. It does you credit.

As you know, everyone on Head-fi has a slightly different take on what their perfect DAP would be.

Looks like the ZX2 will be going head-to-head with Calyx-M and AK120ii, and the competition could get very heated indeed. It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens.

And we still don't know what level of performance James' X7 will bring to the party, at a 'mere' $699

The opposite thought crossed my mind, that the Hi-Res recordings could be digitally processed in some beneficial way, but bottom line is Hi-Res out of the ZX1 sounds better than Hi-Res out of DX90.

Yes, everyone looks for different things in sound, I think digital or class D is my love. I also favor the NAD M51 home DAC, which takes digital amp DAC technology to a new level, while others are still churning out sabre dacs and whatnot, I think Class D is the way of the future personally.

As for non Sony daps, I am impressed with the Cayin N6 and should be very stiff competition for the X7 sound wise, but its size and ugliness prevents me from getting excited lol.

(235g is damn heavy, though)

I've always associated weight with quality, and in this case, the ZX2 is heavy purely because of all the awesome stuff in it, which is just awesome. Every time I hold it I will be reminded how much awesome is inside lol.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #139 of 14,773
Don't take me as an example, I buy all sexy DAPs. I am the only one who think the ZX1 looked better, higher end?

I first felt like this, but I have a feeling the ZX2 is going to look and feel a lot better in real life than in pictures. I feel confident that side by side, most people will prefer the ZX2 look and feel. It has already won me over at any rate.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #142 of 14,773
  Some zx2 unbox image from china forum:

http://bbs.erji.com/read.php?tid=1761541 

Thankyou.

This image surprised me - the ZX2 looks to be noticeably taller than the ZX1
confused_face(1).gif

(image credit: 'whhedy', http://bbs.erji.com/read.php?tid=1761541)

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #143 of 14,773

I've always associated weight with quality, and in this case, the ZX2 is heavy purely because of all the awesome stuff in it, which is just awesome. Every time I hold it I will be reminded how much awesome is inside lol.

As an ex-DX100 owner (265g), I've always associated weight with this
biggrin.gif
:

(...and I'm not the only one!)

Joking aside, am I the only one here who finds it rather ironic that Sony have developed their own Class-D silicon chip, for uber-high-efficiency, and now they're chucking in an enormous battery, anyway?

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #144 of 14,773

Joking aside, am I the only one here who finds it rather ironic that Sony have developed their own Class-D silicon chip, for uber-high-efficiency, and now they're chucking in an enormous battery, anyway?

Nope.  The huge improvement in play time (33 hours playing hi-res audio, 60 hours for mp3) is welcomed, especially with most of the hi-end DAP running in the 10hr range which is not even enough for a long transatlantic flight.  

EDIT:  If it was up to me I'll even go further and make the device flat on the back instead of keeping that amp hump and fill it with an even bigger battery.  Reckon it would push 50 hours of playback time with that which would be awesome.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #145 of 14,773

Nope.  The huge improvement in play time (33hours) is welcomed, especially with most of the hi-end DAP running in the 10hr range which is not even enough for a long transatlantic flight.  

As a long-time J3 owner, I agree that long battery time is most welcome, but I'm thinking somewhere in between ZX1 battery capacity and ZX2 battery capacity might have been a more suitable compromise, to keep weight down at least a bit.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #146 of 14,773

As a long-time J3 owner, I agree that long battery time is most welcome, but I'm thinking somewhere in between ZX1 battery capacity and ZX2 battery capacity might have been a more suitable compromise, to keep weight down at least a bit.

The larger the battery, the lower the internal impedance also, which directly translates to better bass and treble extension. I've tested many batteries with the DX90 and can say that I can hear a significant difference in the bass and treble extension with a lower impedance battery.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #147 of 14,773
Damn,now because the three of you will buy it the price jumped to $1440
mad.gif
 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2898204/The-Walkman-Sony-unveils-high-definition-portable-music-player-smartphone.html

Btw,i agree with Trance about the dx90 and batteries.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #148 of 14,773
  Damn,now because the three of you will buy it the price jumped to $1440
mad.gif
 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2898204/The-Walkman-Sony-unveils-high-definition-portable-music-player-smartphone.html

Btw,i agree with Trance about the dx90 and batteries.

Nah thats just the European price, they always get shafted over there lol. For example the ZX1 costs 550 pound or $834 in Europe, but the actual RRP of ZX1 is $699.

And guys read this, Even Sony know that a higher capacity battery will lower internal impedance and increase bass and treble extension, from the Sony ZX2 UK page:

"
A large-capacity Li-ion battery offers transparent highs and powerful lows."​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back