SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #35,551 of 45,723
Replaced an old Junk record of CPE Bach oboe concertos (Phillip's classics with Heinz Holliger)

20200402_132610.jpg
With this one from Harmonia Mundi with Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin
15858263922414248372959610119834.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #35,552 of 45,723
just tried Venus 1. What would you say is the main difference between the 3 tiers in lay man terms. I already feel a lot of warmth and holographic vocal presence in tier 1 now on my stock 1A. Will I get more warmth or more vocal presence? And what about sub and bass? Thanks for your patience.
As explained by @Whitigir, the higher the tier, the sound signature will be more prominent for a particular planet, providing that the hardware can handle it. I am using Venus 3 on my modded 1A and found that it suits my taste, with good vocals but a bit recessed bass. You can switch between different tiers very easily so you are recommended to try them out.

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #35,553 of 45,723
So,
I wanted to thank several folks on this thread - I've pulled the trigger on a wm1a, and couldn't be happier with it's performance, bank vault like build, and it's UI. Plus it played music for 28 hours before dying. Now that's a battery.

I'm in the process of de-cluttering in preparation of retiring in a few years. This includes getting rid of old hi-fi equipment, nice but large speakers, a home theatre system, and lots of CD's strewn around the place. What a great excuse to get more stuff - in the spirit of enabling the future removal of stuff - that's the ticket!

My plan was to rip all my CD's onto my laptop, and get a really nice portable rig to play. I decided on the 1A and Solaris. I had the CA Comet's and really liked their sound, and I picked up some B-stock Solaris. I don't know what makes them B-stock, as I spent several minutes with a magnifying glass trying to find blems - they look flawless.

So, I've put together a nice workflow centered around my mac (redundant HDs), XLD, and brainmuzic picard for tagging, and an aftermarket CD Drive with HW error correct (to enable secure ripping). Evenings are feeding CD's into the box, and catching up on the latest FW releases :)

It still blows me away to realize I will hold ALL the music I could possibly want on a little 4 lb laptop, and have incredible sound from something the size of a pack of cigarettes and these little ear-buds.

I'm working on burning in both the DAP and the IEMs. I also picked up a balanced 4.4mm cable (also CA B-stock) and will eventually play with that, but seriously, how much better can this get? :wink:

I was trying to drive some Senn 660s last night and found they taxed the 1A somewhat, there wasn't a lot of headroom. The Solaris are a different story - i have to keep the volume under 55 or else it's too loud. Power is not an issue withI'm going to get the prescribed 200 hours burn in, but I'm already wowed with how good this sounds.

I'll keep lurking, but thank you.

Welcome and congratulations. You should notice some fairly big sound improvements after 200 hours. Sony actually recommends burn-in. You will find the instructions if you go to settings then down to where it says “Guide to High Quality Sound”....there Sony suggests 200 hours burn-in per plug. That’s 200 hours with a 3.5mm IEM then 200 hours with a 4.4mm cable IEM. Most here like 4.4mm as it gets just a smidge better soundstage and imaging.

It’s a great journey as the sound changes with use....enjoy!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #35,554 of 45,723
So,
I wanted to thank several folks on this thread - I've pulled the trigger on a wm1a, and couldn't be happier with it's performance, bank vault like build, and it's UI. Plus it played music for 28 hours before dying. Now that's a battery.

I'm in the process of de-cluttering in preparation of retiring in a few years. This includes getting rid of old hi-fi equipment, nice but large speakers, a home theatre system, and lots of CD's strewn around the place. What a great excuse to get more stuff - in the spirit of enabling the future removal of stuff - that's the ticket!

My plan was to rip all my CD's onto my laptop, and get a really nice portable rig to play. I decided on the 1A and Solaris. I had the CA Comet's and really liked their sound, and I picked up some B-stock Solaris. I don't know what makes them B-stock, as I spent several minutes with a magnifying glass trying to find blems - they look flawless.

So, I've put together a nice workflow centered around my mac (redundant HDs), XLD, and brainmuzic picard for tagging, and an aftermarket CD Drive with HW error correct (to enable secure ripping). Evenings are feeding CD's into the box, and catching up on the latest FW releases :)

It still blows me away to realize I will hold ALL the music I could possibly want on a little 4 lb laptop, and have incredible sound from something the size of a pack of cigarettes and these little ear-buds.

I'm working on burning in both the DAP and the IEMs. I also picked up a balanced 4.4mm cable (also CA B-stock) and will eventually play with that, but seriously, how much better can this get? :wink:

I was trying to drive some Senn 660s last night and found they taxed the 1A somewhat, there wasn't a lot of headroom. The Solaris are a different story - i have to keep the volume under 55 or else it's too loud. Power is not an issue withI'm going to get the prescribed 200 hours burn in, but I'm already wowed with how good this sounds.

I'll keep lurking, but thank you.
Which cable did you pick up?

Of all the CA cables I have I like the SXC-8 balanced or the Gold 16 balanced best with the WM-1A depending on what I want. The SXC-8 best overall sound and the Gold 16 best for soundstage and details with stock 3.02 firmware.

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #35,555 of 45,723
Which cable did you pick up?

Of all the CA cables I have I like the SXC-8 balanced or the Gold 16 balanced best with the WM-1A depending on what I want. The SXC-8 best overall sound and the Gold 16 best for soundstage and details with stock 3.02 firmware.
I picked up the Super Litz 4.4mm, I'm really interested in trying the balanced output on the 1A, but haven't yet. Good to know about the SXC-8 and Gold 16. We'll see how deep down the rabbit hole I go. :)

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #35,556 of 45,723
stock WM1A uder here, i am back to 3.02 as i remembered it had a very lean bass - which i did not like with my previous cable - but with the new 1960s cable that beefs up the lows quite a bit it may sound great so let's hear and decide

and here is another great psybient album discovery this month , those of you who like to 'light one up' this should be perfect

You're killing me.

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #35,557 of 45,723
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #35,558 of 45,723
That's a beautiful thing about DIY. You can fine tune it just the way you like.
I had a 16 gauge copper foil inductor laying around, so took it apart and made XLR cables out of it. It is heads and shoulders above all my Solid copper cables. Resolution is on another level, and sound is effortless, 3 Dimensional.
If you get a chance, try it out. I stuck duct tape on both sides to insulate the foil and rolled it up at the ends to tin it into the connectors.

Give it shot, you will not regret it :)

I wonder if I can stick copper foil cables into the 1A...... Time to do so research. something like 20 gauge would be perfect.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #35,559 of 45,723
stock WM1A uder here, i am back to 3.02 as i remembered it had a very lean bass - which i did not like with my previous cable - but with the new 1960s cable that beefs up the lows quite a bit it may sound great so let's hear and decide

and here is another great psybient album discovery this month , those of you who like to 'light one up' this should be perfect

Yup I am still using 3.02 as it has best synergy with my setup.

My favourite region is E2. Provide me with power and concert venue effect with my setup.

Apr 3, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #35,560 of 45,723
I had a 16 gauge copper foil inductor laying around, so took it apart and made XLR cables out of it. It is heads and shoulders above all my Solid copper cables. Resolution is on another level, and sound is effortless, 3 Dimensional.
If you get a chance, try it out. I stuck duct tape on both sides to insulate the foil and rolled it up at the ends to tin it into the connectors.

Give it shot, you will not regret it :)

I wonder if I can stick copper foil cables into the 1A...... Time to do so research. something like 20 gauge would be perfect.
Not sure what you did. Any picture?

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #35,562 of 45,723
Ah I see, go big or go home hehe. Flat cable design is known to help eliminate bloated bass.

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #35,564 of 45,723
Apr 3, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #35,565 of 45,723
I recall @Whitigir describing the WM1Z as being 'like a modded WM1A'.

With this in mind, I was wondering which FW you all think might be most suitable for a stock WM1Z, until I have time and money to have the hardware mods done?
It would be a stock WM1Z, and I'd be using a MacBook (Mojave 10.14.5) to install the FW.

From what I've read on here, I remember there was a version of Jupiter that had increased bass.
That's the one I'd ideally like, but which one was it, and would it work with the setup I've described above?

Many thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back