SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #35,104 of 45,723
Trying to come up to speed on the 1A. it looks like a nice unit, and i'm looking for a DAP to last me years. I don't tend to buy much gear (who am I kidding, beautiful guitars on the wall, wonderful golf clubs in the garage).

I"m concerned that it's already several years old, and I would think a new model is coming out at some point.

Any thoughts? Is the 1A/Z getting long of tooth, and will Sony release an upgrade in the next year?

TIA,
Francis

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #35,105 of 45,723
Trying to come up to speed on the 1A. it looks like a nice unit, and i'm looking for a DAP to last me years. I don't tend to buy much gear (who am I kidding, beautiful guitars on the wall, wonderful golf clubs in the garage).

I"m concerned that it's already several years old, and I would think a new model is coming out at some point.

Any thoughts? Is the 1A/Z getting long of tooth, and will Sony release an upgrade in the next year?

TIA,
Francis

Nobody knows if/when Sony will come out with a new model. If the specs of the Sony fit your needs it is still very much worth buying

Mar 25, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #35,106 of 45,723

TIA,
Francis
To me, WM1A is the best valued DAPs around, even now. Battery life, stable OS, nice synergy with most IEMs.

Add these new custom FW with different sound signature (pick and choose which have the most synergy with your setup and musical taste) enhance the value of both WM1A/1Z. To me, it also extend the time I will be looking for a new DAP. I might get my 1A modded and a better cable then I might close my headfi account and be happy that I've reached my end game.

Edit: Unless Sony hire or collaborate with @Whitigir for WM2A/Z. :beerchug:

Mar 25, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #35,107 of 45,723
Ok. Here’s some trivia. Walkman 1A. Which region and mod firmware on 3.02 gives the lowest and deepest bass with clear mids and non piercing highs yet with details? It’s a tough one eh?

Mar 25, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #35,108 of 45,723
Ok. Here’s some trivia. Walkman 1A. Which region and mod firmware on 3.02 gives the lowest and deepest bass with clear mids and non piercing highs yet with details? It’s a tough one eh?

All depends on your setup.. If an easy answer was possible we would only have need for a single FW/Region to rule them all:)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #35,109 of 45,723
All depends on your setup.. If an easy answer was possible we would only have need for a single FW/Region to rule them all:)
Well my question was easy enough. Stock 1A on 3.02. Which region and firmware combination gives what I mentioned above. Not that hard as it’s general.

Mar 25, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #35,111 of 45,723
Well my question was easy enough. Stock 1A on 3.02. Which region and firmware combination gives what I mentioned above. Not that hard as it’s general.

Should depend on which headphone and cable you use. And then it depends on your ears, music and preferences.

Mar 25, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #35,112 of 45,723
For me, it's Solis 301. Stock WM1A-Single Crystal 5N Copper Cable-Noble Khan
I was asking for 3.02. As for 3.01, for me it’s Jupiter 3.01 with J region.

Mar 25, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #35,113 of 45,723

Easy question sure, but tough to answer still as there is no general answer.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #35,114 of 45,723
I was asking for 3.02. As for 3.01, for me it’s Jupiter 3.01 with J region.

i am also on this setup with my stock WM1A , as for 3.02 FWs nothing has really wowed me

Mar 25, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #35,115 of 45,723
Do you Buy a stock Civic SI and go to a tuner then ask him to “Tune” your stock SI into a Civic Type R ? With just a “Tune”?

It is just a simple demand ?

My WM1A is exactly what you asked, but it has

Nichicon caps, TK caps, Elna Caps, Pure Gold internal, 19Awg Cardas Ground wire, Battery Litz wires, and Solis (whatever versions), and I use it with IER-Z1R. There are also Noises absorbents and Silver soldering

in order to completely transformed it, internal frames (front and back) were also modified, plugs detectors were also modified

my WM1A is exactly what I used to tune firmwares with. So, the answer is that All firmwares are excellent in it own rights, if you had a Tier 4 WM1A

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back