SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #25,711 of 45,723
IMG_20181202_164021_058.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #25,712 of 45,723
@ttt123 I really don't mind the inconvenience verses sending the unit back to Sony for warranty repair and be without it for a while. I am just worried that eventually it'll worsen to point that nothing will make the channels balanced again.

I do appreciate your suggestions though.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #25,713 of 45,723
wondering if i can justify getting a wm1z over my current zx300 which i love to bits for its size. Will the improvement in SQ be worth it?

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #25,716 of 45,723
wondering if i can justify getting a wm1z over my current zx300 which i love to bits for its size. Will the improvement in SQ be worth it?

It may be hard to figure out how different the two are if listening side by side in a store. Though if someone gave you one to try at home, it may start to sink-in how different the sound is? I have only heard the ZX300 at a store demo so It’s hard to judge in comparison to the 1Z. Though the 1A and 1Z are very different, with the 1A being wonderful as an upgrade I think, and a much better value than the 1Z. But if you have the money and desire the 1Z has a more robust sound. Bigger sound all over, as well as a slight bass and treble boost. The imaging is closer and more forward and backward. It can wake a layed-back IEM with it’s energy. Though if I was trying to save money the 1A is a way better deal. Also I really like the 1A sound; it’s not cold, but flat, articulated and pure.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #25,719 of 45,723
So... Something unexpected happened. My WM1A, when it was in the process of upgrading to the 3.0 firmware, caused a blue screen of death on my PC. Thing is, when I check my Dap, it shows that it is indeed in 3.0, and the USB dac and Bluetooth options are shown. I don't know exactly what happened, but I'm concerned that the firmware update might not be 100% OK.

If I recall correctly the upgrade was in 67% or so when the BSOD happened. Windows 10 is my current OS. What should I do now?

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #25,720 of 45,723
So... Something unexpected happened. My WM1A, when it was in the process of upgrading to the 3.0 firmware, caused a blue screen of death on my PC. Thing is, when I check my Dap, it shows that it is indeed in 3.0, and the USB dac and Bluetooth options are shown. I don't know exactly what happened, but I'm concerned that the firmware update might not be 100% OK.

If I recall correctly the upgrade was in 67% or so when the BSOD happened. Windows 10 is my current OS. What should I do now?
Honestly, if it were me, I would disconnect the walkman, shut down your computer and restart it. If it restarts properly, then I would reconnect the walkman and reinstall 3.0 to assure that the full upgrade takes place.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #25,721 of 45,723

I would leave it as is, and just check if everything is normal. The reasoning is this...In general, any upgrade does these steps. 1. download the firmware to the device. There is usually intelligence built into the upgrade process to check that a download has been completed, before progressing to t he next stage. 2. a.save the old, and b.upgrade to the new. 3. If successful, switch to the new. If not successful, revert to the old.

If step 1 completed successfully, then step 2 is done entirely in the device. All the host does is transfer the file to the device, so that the device can use it to do the upgrade. If the host (PC) dies after step 1 has completed, this does not affect the Device upgrade. Of course, the recommendation is not to touch anything, to lessen the chances of something like a static discharge zapping the device in the middle of an update, which could be catastrophic. So while the steps I describe here are generic, it is likely that step 1 was completed properly and it was in step 2 when you got the BSOD, which means there is a very good chance that the firmware upgrade completed successfully, as you are seeing that the device is confirming that it is at 3.0.

So you are probably OK. Of course, if it bothers you that the process was interrupted, and there is even a small uncertainty, then redoing the upgrade would allay that doubt. Though next time, probably restart the PC first, so that the PC is running clean, resources/memory freed up, OS freshly initialized, etc. And shut down all unnecessary applications before starting the upgrade. And don't do anything on the PC while it is upgrading. This is a precaution that most people will observe, especially after experiencing a scary upgrade, where you fear that you may have bricked the device!

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #25,723 of 45,723
Sony really needs to put out a v3.1 with fixes. This isn't acceptable for a $1.2k dap. It's a simple OS compared to what many other Daps have, and I also can't imagine how they thought everyone would like the way 3.0 sounds.

Guess I’ll consider myself one of the lucky ones. I had no issues with the 3.0 update, no issues with it since, database build takes no longer than before, and I love how 3.0 sounds vs. the previous FW which sounded a little thick/veiled to me.

Excuse me while I knock on this wood here.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #25,724 of 45,723
Guess I’ll consider myself one of the lucky ones. I had no issues with the 3.0 update, no issues with it since, database build takes no longer than before, and I love how 3.0 sounds vs. the previous FW which sounded a little thick/veiled to me.

Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back