SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #10,171 of 45,723
  i am really undecided on whether i should get wm1a, dx200 or idsd micro BL (for use with my 2-sd card slots DX80).....
rolleyes.gif

apparently(at least this is what people who owned them and have the experience think)  dx200 sounds 'better' than 1a and idsd bl sounds as good as dx200

wm1a has the better battery , but idsd bl costs hald as much as 1a/dx200

choices....

Buy all.
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #10,172 of 45,723
How is it any different to people who do aftermarket tuning on their cars?

Not saying one is right and one isn't, but - it is what happens when you get to a certain level...

I've probably missed the post / point somewhere, but I'm guessing that this is a question as to whether it is better to buy the WM1Z and XYZ head[phone, vs getting ABC headphone, and bolting parts on up to the equivalent monetary value of the WM1Z - in which case, I would personally (knowing Sony's pedigree of getting things nearly right, but - missing the ball) - go the Frankenstein route.

Hey Duncan,

The posts they are referring to were stating the need to replace both headphone and USB cables over time, as apparently they deteriorate!

In my humble opinion, yes this is yet more audiophile BS. Sadly these crazy ideas are becoming more and more widespread on these forums, yet it seems perfectly ok to make these statements without any evidence or qualification. Those of us that do question these magical ideas seem to be either ridiculed and told our hearing isn't good enough to hear the differences, or have our posts removed as apparently questioning this nonsense is argumentative and off topic.

The sound science sub forum seems to be the only place where common sense still prevails :frowning2:

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #10,173 of 45,723
Are you referring to Silver Poison OCC Cryo Silver Earphone cable?

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #10,174 of 45,723
All over the places :), try Toxic cables diy supplies for example

Are you referring to Silver Poison OCC Cryo Silver Earphone cable?

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #10,175 of 45,723
Hey Duncan,

The posts they are referring to were stating the need to replace both headphone and USB cables over time, as apparently they deteriorate!

In my humble opinion, yes this is yet more audiophile BS. Sadly these crazy ideas are becoming more and more widespread on these forums, yet it seems perfectly ok to make these statements without any evidence or qualification. Those of us that do question these magical ideas seem to be either ridiculed and told our hearing isn't good enough to hear the differences, or have our posts removed as apparently questioning this nonsense is argumentative and off topic.

The sound science sub forum seems to be the only place where common sense still prevails :frowning2:
Hey CraftyClown - Thanks for setting me straight - yes, agreed - I have cables that are older than the median age of the group here that are still performing perfectly fine...

I do believe that there is a whole lot of hocus pocus creeping in from time to time, but - placebo is as powerful as any addiction out there, and - no matter how many times you tell someone the sky is blue, if they see it as red, they'll tell you it is.

However - before I breach the rules that I am supposed to be enforcing - back to the Sony players... :)

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #10,176 of 45,723
Cables can break if bent too tight repeatdly, copper can oxidize over-time and Green rust appears, the plastic cover deteriorates over time, it cracks and you get shocked
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #10,177 of 45,723
proedros,

just get a wm1a and listen via balanced. i haven't heard the dx200, but i did read in twister's review that its like the Idsd black label. I actually do not hold the idsd bl in high regard, as I think it performs worse than a Geekout v2+ infinity. I enjoy my sony more than my GOV2+. It also depends on your genre, but I like the sony over the idsd bl esp in the treble region.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #10,178 of 45,723
How is it any different to people who do aftermarket tuning on their cars?

It is different in the fact that people tuning their cars use objective data, whether it be dynamometer measurements, race track results, etc. to back up any claims made and to justify the purchase or labor. If someone were to claim that an aftermarket cable made an improvement in a certain area, then backed up that claim with measured data, I would be all ears and interested. That never happens though. It's always just a bunch of superlatives that do nothing but confuse. I have read someone claim that a cable provided a more pronounced "airy halo". What in the world is an "airy halo"?

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #10,179 of 45,723
It is different in the fact that people tuning their cars use objective data, whether it be dynamometer measurements, race track results, etc. to back up any claims made and to justify the purchase or labor. If someone were to claim that an aftermarket cable made an improvement in a certain area, then backed up that claim with measured data, I would be all ears and interested. That never happens though. It's always just a bunch of superlatives that do nothing but confuse. I have read someone claim that a cable provided a more pronounced "airy halo". What in the world is an "airy halo"?
Hi...

You will of seen from the rest of the post you quoted, that I was going down a different tangent (not cable related) - This was corrected in the following posts :)

Must grab an audition of the WM1Z - Wonder if there are any out in the wild in the UK that I can grab a demn of...

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #10,180 of 45,723
So, CanJam Singapore was a blast...

Had the privilege of speaking to Sato-san and Yoshioka-san, two of the lead engineers for the WM1 project. I've passed some of your requests on to them for a search feature and they did mention that a new firmware update is coming in a few weeks to address the Artist page bug the latest update introduced. Also, for those requesting for configurable Sound Setting presets, they highlighted to me that it's already in the firmware - when you guys are in the sound settings page, just hit the bottom right Settings button and there you go.

On a more interesting note, a friend and I convinced them to open our players to install the Telos Quantum Sticker mod as they were curious about its effects as well, and their faces were priceless when our players were reassembled and they had a chance to A/B the modded players against the show demos they had brought - the engineers expressed surprise at how the bass had gained texture and the soundstage had increased. To say I'm pleased with the result of this honestly incredibly snake oil-ish tweak would be an understatement.

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #10,181 of 45,723
  There is no R&D needed for the remote, the work has been done. So what investment is there? It does not cost much to do a run of 10 or 20 thousand units. Many companies have a huge mark-up on accessories because, they can. That doesn't mean it is justified for any reason except they figure there is exclusivity and people will buy it but they do not pay respect to their customers with this philosophy. 

For injection mold plastic, each piece requires making it's own mold/cast - those molds are QUITE expensive, at least 20 thousand Ks per part of the device, especially if you don't make a lot of them then each piece's sales price has to go up to recover the cost of the mold.  For example the remote has something like 10 unique pieces - that's 200k just for the molds roughly, not including materials. If you only make 5000 units, then 60 dollars would not even cover the cost of the manufacturing of the entire remote! Also the cast has life expectancy etc and will not be usable after a certain amount. On the other hand if you make too much such that it becomes dead stock you also LOSE money - that's the reality of a small batch of manufacturing.  

The work has NOT been done. Manufacturing is not that simple. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #10,182 of 45,723

Had the privilege of speaking to Sato-san and Yoshioka-san, two of the lead engineers for the WM1 project. I've passed some of your requests on to them for a search feature and they did mention that a new firmware update is coming in a few weeks to address the Artist page bug the latest update introduced. Also, for those requesting for configurable Sound Setting presets, they highlighted to me that it's already in the firmware - when you guys are in the sound settings page, just hit the bottom right Settings button and there you go.

On a more interesting note, a friend and I convinced them to open our players to install the Telos Quantum Sticker mod as they were curious about its effects as well, and their faces were priceless when our players were reassembled and they had a chance to A/B the modded players against the show demos they had brought - the engineers expressed surprise at how the bass had gained texture and the soundstage had increased. To say I'm pleased with the result of this honestly incredibly snake oil-ish tweak would be an underst

So i can put a Hi-res audio sticker on it and it will be better
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #10,183 of 45,723

On a more interesting note, a friend and I convinced them to open our players to install the Telos Quantum Sticker mod as they were curious about its effects as well, and their faces were priceless when our players were reassembled and they had a chance to A/B the modded players against the show demos they had brought - the engineers expressed surprise at how the bass had gained texture and the soundstage had increased. To say I'm pleased with the result of this honestly incredibly snake oil-ish tweak would be an understatement.

en

Nice. Next off, modify internal wirings.  

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #10,184 of 45,723
  Also, for those requesting for configurable Sound Setting presets, they highlighted to me that it's already in the firmware - when you guys are in the sound settings page, just hit the bottom right Settings button and there you go.

Yes, sound setting presets are there, but there are only 3 of them and you can't add more. Also, you cannot change the name of the saved sound setting. It would be nice to change it from "Saved Sound Setting 1" to "HD800S", for example. I have saved settings for 3 of my phones and would like to add more. It's hard to remember which saved settings are for which phones. The AK players implement this feature very well.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #10,185 of 45,723
  So i can put a Hi-res audio sticker on it and it will be better
biggrin.gif

Better yet, put the sticker on your forehead. That way ALL of your equipment will sound better and everyone will know you are a true Audiophile.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back