SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #931 of 45,723
Pretty good, and just like any other cards. The best cards for music gotta come from Sony, but it is only 64 Gb for $185. Now, do u see why 1Z with 256gb cost so much

Actually the Sony microsd cards are are among the most poorly rated and overpriced.  The Samsung EVO microsd cards are the top rated currently but top out at 128 GB for about $60.00 CAN on amazon

Sandisk is right up their with Samsung EVO and the Sandisk Ultra which I use go for $52.99 for 128 GB CAN and $99.00 for 200 GB CAN on amazon.ca.  I have used a 128 GB Sandisk Ultra in my A17 for almost two years with new issues whatsover and both Samsung and Sandisks cards are top rated for read and write speeds.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #932 of 45,723
İ think they did big time, succes of zx2 was also fueled by streaming and AK players will get there soon because they have to and east asia might be big but on any worldwide product laumch you can not or should not discard europe/north america, they are the bigest markets as for per capita income, streaming is the future whatever you like it or not and you dont actually stream with zx2 just store it in your SD so it is not about wifi everywhere. Also as a smat company you can do both with 2 models one offering streaming other not, would you consider zx2 as a unsuccesfull product? Streaming is there to stay, so it is better to be get ready for it unless you are a old nokia user want its phone black and white only, i am sure there is a market that somewhere in the world but you dont see apple launching one!

Per capita income doesn't mean the population will buy your product. From the data points it seems that portable Hi-fi is mainly an East Asian thing, so targeting Europe/NA even when they have money doesn't make much business sense, that's like trying to sell eco electric 2 seater city dwellers to the SUV crazed NA market - you've got to pick your market wisely - no product can be completely global with universal appeal.  

Streaming may not be the future - because companies that do streaming are actually really struggling to make profits, they have users but aren't making money, that's not a good sign for the future of the market.  Just like everyone was betting on free ad supported video streaming is going to be the future income revenue about 10 years ago but that actually didn't happen. Sony had specifically said that the feedback of ZX1/2 users is that they don't like Android on it.  So while in the West the ZX2 may have gotten some sales due to Android, Sony's own data says otherwise and that was their choice.  Again since the East Asian market is where DAPs sells the most and Sony's gotten feedback in that way, just maybe consider that streaming may not be as big as you think it is.

FWIW Sony's business is in BOTH streaming and downloads - they run their own music DL site in Japan, and they supply their music to streamers as well. Sony actually has a stake in Spotify of Japan - they "win" either way no matter how the customer chooses yet they still decided not to put in streaming.  I think they actually have more than enough numbers and data points to support their choice here.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #933 of 45,723
İ think they did big time, succes of zx2 was also fueled by streaming and AK players will get there soon because they have to and east asia might be big but on any worldwide product laumch you can not or should not discard europe/north america, they are the bigest markets as for per capita income, streaming is the future whatever you like it or not and you dont actually stream with zx2 just store it in your SD so it is not about wifi everywhere. Also as a smat company you can do both with 2 models one offering streaming other not, would you consider zx2 as a unsuccesfull product? Streaming is there to stay, so it is better to be get ready for it unless you are a old nokia user want its phone black and white only, i am sure there is a market that somewhere in the world but you dont see apple launching one!

I agree with this completely and I have tried out the Fiio X7 which has a dual android implementation so you can choose to use it with or without wifi activated. Turning wifi off saves battery life and the interchangeable amp modules are pretty cool.  It is readily available in Toronto for under $800.00 unlike the Sony DAP's which are completely absent right now.  It also happens to sound really good and if I really want a DAP with the option to use wifi the Fiio and the Onkyo/Pioneer DAP's would be the way to go for alot less than Sony's ZX2 and both the new DAP's without android and wifi.  

Onkyo and Pioneer are also the only DAP's currently available that support MQA for HiRes streaming audio.

If Sony thinks that their target customer does not want wifi then they would lose me and pretty much everyone I know including people in the audio sales industry. 

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #934 of 45,723
I actually really like the fact that this TOTL DAP will not have wifi. I only wish that they could remove bluetooth as well... But its fine....

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #935 of 45,723

Per capita income doesn't mean the population will buy your product. From the data points it seems that portable Hi-fi is mainly an East Asian thing, so targeting Europe/NA even when they have money doesn't make much business sense, that's like trying to sell eco electric 2 seater city dwellers to the SUV crazed NA market - you've got to pick your market wisely - no product can be completely global with universal appeal.  

Streaming may not be the future - because companies that do streaming are actually really struggling to make profits, they have users but aren't making money, that's not a good sign for the future of the market.  Just like everyone was betting on free ad supported video streaming is going to be the future income revenue about 10 years ago but that actually didn't happen. Sony had specifically said that the feedback of ZX1/2 users is that they don't like Android on it.  So while in the West the ZX2 may have gotten some sales due to Android, Sony's own data says otherwise and that was their choice.  Again since the East Asian market is where DAPs sells the most and Sony's gotten feedback in that way, just maybe consider that streaming may not be as big as you think it is.

FWIW Sony's business is in BOTH streaming and downloads - they run their own music DL site in Japan, and they supply their music to streamers as well. Sony actually has a stake in Spotify of Japan - they "win" either way no matter how the customer chooses yet they still decided not to put in streaming.  I think they actually have more than enough numbers and data points to support their choice here.

I have to disagree with that statement at least in Canada as the Sony A17 and ZX2 have sold very well in Canada and in Toronto particularly To the point where stock is often back ordered.  I have alot of friends in Toronto that sell high end audio and they get people in their stores all the time with A17's and ZX2's as well as the A&K and Fiio DAP's. 

Sony looks at Canada with our small population and assume it is not an important market.  But I know for a fact that Canadians buy more high end DAP's per capita than the US does.  But when Sony looks at North America they only see the US and Canada gets the short end of the stick.  

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #936 of 45,723

Per capita income will tell you a lot if you are selling 3200$ dap! İt is like selling Ferrari in Asia only, you may sell a lot, they would be popular but it is also stupid to discard the needs of the europe/north america!
Streaming is the future there is no escaping from it, i am not saying the current bussines model is perfect but streaming is here to stay! Check netfix etc!
Saying it wont survive it is just funny thats all.
And where do you get your DAP sales data according to continents? Where can i find it? İs ipod included? Pono? İt is a dap after all, think about if apple comes out with a new ipod where do you think DAP market will be? Asia? So AK might sell more in EAsia does not mean where the market is!!!

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #937 of 45,723
I actually really like the fact that this TOTL DAP will not have wifi. I only wish that they could remove bluetooth as well... But its fine....

Bluetooth doesn't require android and only affects battery life if you turn it on.  You can also transfer tracks to your Sony DAP via bluetooth so why would you not want to have it. Especially if the DAP will cost the same whether it has bluetooth or not?

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #938 of 45,723
Per capita income will tell you a lot if you are selling 3200$ dap! İt is like selling Ferrari in Asia only, you may sell a lot, they would be popular but it is also stupid to discard the needs of the europe/north america!
Streaming is the future there is no escaping from it, i am not saying the current bussines model is perfect but streaming is here to stay! Check netfix etc!
Saying it wont survive it is just funny thats all.
And where do you get your DAP sales data according to continents? Where can i find it? İs ipod included? Pono? İt is a dap after all, think about if apple comes out with a new ipod where do you think DAP market will be? Asia? So AK might sell more in EAsia does not mean where the market is!!!

Per capita income is alot more relevant for a $3200.00 DAP as countries with low per capita income can't afford to buy a $3200.00 DAP.  

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #939 of 45,723
The lack of streaming is simply because those people don't fall within their target audience. If you depend on streaming, you shouldn't be using this player

Personally don't use streaming, however if you have a central server with all your music on it, it can be handy for transferring data as well.
It's not good look to stereotype people, there no right or wrong way.
But if it makes you feel better. Than so be it.

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #940 of 45,723
Few pages back people were concerned with the battery replacement and saying they've had to replace a battery after only 2 years. This is really concerning and I'm wondering how many people are experiencing battery problems.

My oldest DAP is a 12 year old iPod that gets left in my car charging all the time while connected to my HU, the battery still works fine, probably 90% as good as it was when new. My old iPhone 4 never had any problems with the battery. My ZX1 after about 3 years is still running strong.

So are these a few isolated incidents with just some batteries? If I buy the WM1A and the battery dies how much will Sony charge to replace it?

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #941 of 45,723
The Sony batteries are top quality, although they will only be as good as you treat them, discharging them constantly to 0% and charging to 100% every charge would most probably see the battery have a quick life. Again this is only speculation.
And if you where to look after the battery, charge it when it's 20% and only charge to 90%, never store battery full, never let battery run to flat and then store it.
You could have your battery last for many years in a healthy state. Maybe

My concern is can the zx2 or wm1a/1z battery's be replaced out of warranty?
And if so, what's the damage?

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #942 of 45,723
My concern is can the zx2 or wm1a/1z battery's be replaced out of warranty?

Yeah I'd like to know this too. Can anyone chime in here? From what people were saying earlier Sony didn't replace the battery under warranty, they just replaced the whole unit.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #943 of 45,723
  What will be the mW output rating for Normal gain in SE and balanced? I know High gain will be 60mW and 240mW respectively

so there will be 2 gains in WM1A ?

also , please no more social analysis on why there should/shouldn't be wifi in wm1a/z , this is SO BORING and gets the thread derailed

these daps shall come wifi-less , so get used to it and if you don't like it, go buy something else

let's discuss about things more crucial than analyzing social groups all over the world who use/do not use tidal/spotify

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #944 of 45,723
Few pages back people were concerned with the battery replacement and saying they've had to replace a battery after only 2 years. This is really concerning and I'm wondering how many people are experiencing battery problems.

My oldest DAP is a 12 year old iPod that gets left in my car charging all the time while connected to my HU, the battery still works fine, probably 90% as good as it was when new. My old iPhone 4 never had any problems with the battery. My ZX1 after about 3 years is still running strong.

So are these a few isolated incidents with just some batteries? If I buy the WM1A and the battery dies how much will Sony charge to replace it?

The Sony batteries are top quality, although they will only be as good as you treat them, discharging them constantly to 0% and charging to 100% every charge would most probably see the battery have a quick life. Again this is only speculation.
And if you where to look after the battery, charge it when it's 20% and only charge to 90%, never store battery full, never let battery run to flat and then store it.
You could have your battery last for many years in a healthy state. Maybe

My concern is can the zx2 battery be replaced out of warranty?

I am one of the people and I replaced my battery for two reasons. 1.  Because I had a 2 year warranty (1 year extended) warranty that was going to expire in a couple of months.  2.  Sony now recommends on their support site and manuals that batteries be replaced when battery life drops below 50% battery life per charge.  Mine was down to roughly 23 hours at 21 months of use, given the estimated battery life of between 30 to 50 hours for my A17 I went ahead and sent my A17 in for battery replacement with all tracks removed.  Sony actually sent me a new unit instead of replacing the battery.

Given the wide battery life estimate of 30 to 50 hours is 50% battery life 25 hours, 15 hours, or somewhere in between like 20 hours?  The estimate is subjective depending on the files you listen to 16/24 bit FLAC and mp3. You could just use your DAP until it no longer charges.  The question becomes how short does the battery life have to get before the DAP becomes annoying to use because it has to be recharged frequently?

There are two issues with lithium-ion batteries 1. Number of times the battery can be recharged? and 2. How long the battery lasts before needing recharging?  If you let the battery drain to 0% every time you will get between 300 to 500 recharges before the battery dies.  Of course letting the battery drain to 0% every time will shorten the battery life per charge more quickly.  The sweet spot seems to be around 70% of battery life per charge before recharging to maximize the number of recharges and prolonging the battery life per charge.  

Now that my warranty is almost done I have started recharging my A17 when the meter gets to 1 bar.  It is recommended you let your battery discharge to 0% once a month or so to keep the battery meter calibrated.

To make a long story short the whole battery life question is hard to answer and will depend on the individual user.  I listen to my A17 two to three hours per day and I probably could have gotten to just over 2 years of use on my a17 before getting to the 50% threshold.

The good news is if you spring for an extra 1 year warranty (2 years total) you could send your DAP in for a new battery replacement just before the warranty expires.  Sony can't really question your battery life estimate because the battery life estimate on their DAP's is so wide.  If I keep my A17 I should get at least 4 years out of my DAP before the battery life starts to become an issue.

My logic regarding out of warranty service is it will cost you more to send your DAP for battery replacement then to get an extra 1 year warranty.   Manufacturers don't like repairing and replacing batteries anymore because it costs to much to maintain repair departments in every country.  Because they can charge you for everything on out warranty service they will ship your unit out of country for the replacement.  You will pay for shipping both ways + insurance + the cost of the new battery (about $25.00) + labor.  A lot more than the cost of a 1 year extended warranty.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #945 of 45,723

so there will be 2 gains in WM1A ?

also , please no more social analysis on why there should/shouldn't be wifi in wm1a/z , this is SO BORING and gets the thread derailed

these daps shall come wifi-less , so get used to it and if you don't like it, go buy something else

let's discuss about things more crucial than analyzing social groups all over the world who use/do not use tidal/spotif

If people want to talk about an issue they should be able to even if it is negative.  Otherwise it becomes a love fest and the forum becomes boring and pointless.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back