SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 4, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #14,416 of 15,814
I have ordered a Micron SD
I will be able to compare Swissbit and Micron soon

@andrewski in exchange😋you could tell us a brief comparison between 1zm2 and 1am2 on fw1.08

maybe😬
👀

☺️😜
I am still delaying my update to FW 1.08 on my 1ZM2.

Happy with 1.07 now. Don't wanna potentially spoil that considering how big a change it seems to be, for some here at least?:)

Mar 4, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #14,417 of 15,814
I feel that fw 1.08 massively improves Yoasobi or any music that falls in the same kind of genre. The improved sub-bass of firmware has quite a big impact to the music's rhythm and tempo. I also think the Sony walkman sound engineers has done an incredible balancing act of increasing the impact feel and depth of the bass while not allowing the bass to sound bloaty and overwhelm the rest of the frequency spectrum, in my opinion, this is not an easy thing to accomplish.

This song sounds even better now on fw1.08

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 4:20 AM Post #14,418 of 15,814
@Sonywalkmanuser I wrote them to @andrewski..or I think so.
I was short because everything had already been said 👍

I can add that the Swissbit works wonderfully on Qobuz 😎 ( settings / select storage >> for local *and offline* music play 😎 ); result is an easier separation feeling for instruments, a cleaner background and foreground for parts of the mix, more of a sense of 'vacuum space' or black space among them (although depending on record ofc ) , and as you said : things materializing a better holographic appeal .
Holography is a chimera in the IEM world, depends on a moltitude of factors : recording , iem , source , iem technicals and frqs graph etc etc ; it results to me as an 'audio trick' that involves a shift that the hearing and brain' audio decoding ability operates adding a further plan of consume (?), where parts have a more 3dish place , a sort of ' added separation ' between the music flow and sound flow from their physical rendering attributes, so that the latter -even when artificially made up in the mix - becomes more evident ; and it is something I like when stage is big enough, but smthing I don't dig too much when stage is closer or narrower ( give me more of a claustrophobic feeling in this case ) ..even though its great for little acoustic ensambles of instruments ..and at times I just like 'music' ..sorry for lack of better words

While i made up my mind more lately on what analogue means in real life and in music reproduction -and how the two things should be related, I am still very much lagging when grabbing the whole of what holography is in sound , so hopefully iem and hardware builders are little more proficient then me and evolving its significance through r&d.

Now I am also curious if I can tell a difference /downgrade ( or not ) going from Swissbit to Micron .

I am still delaying my update to FW 1.08 on my 1ZM2.

Happy with 1.07 now. Don't wanna potentially spoil that considering how big a change it seems to be, for some here at least?:)
makes sense

I was searching in web for how to revert back firmware on 1am2, found smthing about it

Then magic happened, i changed smthing in dsp , and now I am happy with 1.08

>>for 1am2<< it seems that fw1.08 adds some things while takes away smthing else , results feels like a quite major change for sound and overall positive.. there's a change of color to accept - or 'a price' audio eng had to pay for adding the goods: the color goes from a sparkling, light fresh blue to a slightly warmer stronger and bit more satured tone , ..and color is not fresh blue anymore , anyhow. Not as warm as a Shanling but -sure thing- closer now then before

Curious as well on comparison between 1.07 and 1.08 in the zm2, but I dubt we will see soon a proper A/B

As @Sonywalkmanuser wrote , the thirst for dynamics ( for lacks of dynamics) lessened significantly , or dramatically , with last update ; that was a major plus in my book for 1am2..but this would possibly be a good reason also for 1zm2 , I've had extensive use of it in the past and I found dynamics a major fault in it
..with previous firmwares.

or @andrewski can tell it better then me 🙊

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #14,419 of 15,814
lordy lord, are people still talking about micro sd cards improving the sound?

What if I don't use any micro sd card but only local storage of the DAP- is that the best sound quality?

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #14,420 of 15,814
lordy lord, are people still talking about micro sd cards improving the sound?
It seems so someone dares doing it even if higly disturbing for someone else😱
What if I don't use any micro sd card but only local storage of the DAP- is that the best sound quality?
I thought that you were already convinced of something 🤔 if not , then why dont try it yourself ? 😜it would be better instead of waiting the answer to an hundred times already done question , so that you can definitely say what is what for your ears ..
Also , ymmv in this regard, so..

also we could be a bunch of multibrand memory advertisers and paid to do it
other then crazy audio chatters
Much better to try it yourself!!

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #14,421 of 15,814
@Sonywalkmanuser I wrote them to @andrewski..or I think so.
I was short because everything had already been said 👍

I can add that the Swissbit works wonderfully on Qobuz 😎 ( settings / select storage >> for local *and offline* music play 😎 ); result is an easier separation feeling for instruments, a cleaner background and foreground for parts of the mix, more of a sense of 'vacuum space' or black space among them (although depending on record ofc ) , and as you said : things materializing a better holographic appeal .
Holography is a chimera in the IEM world, depends on a moltitude of factors : recording , iem , source , iem technicals and frqs graph etc etc ; it results to me as an 'audio trick' that involves a shift that the hearing and brain' audio decoding ability operates adding a further plan of consume (?), where parts have a more 3dish place , a sort of ' added separation ' between the music flow and sound flow from their physical rendering attributes, so that the latter -even when artificially made up in the mix - becomes more evident ; and it is something I like when stage is big enough, but smthing I don't dig too much when stage is closer or narrower ( give me more of a claustrophobic feeling in this case ) ..even though its great for little acoustic ensambles of instruments ..and at times I just like 'music' ..sorry for lack of better words

While i made up my mind more lately on what analogue means in real life and in music reproduction -and how the two things should be related, I am still very much lagging when grabbing the whole of what holography is in sound , so hopefully iem and hardware builders are little more proficient then me and evolving its significance through r&d.

Now I am also curious if I can tell a difference /downgrade ( or not ) going from Swissbit to Micron .

I feel that the Swissbit card on the wm1am2 has an extremely clean and clear transient response, cymbal strikes not only sounds more immediate but also has a more nuanced spacial decay into the space, especially more improved on 1.08 with DSEE. Sibilant sounds don't feel saw-like and have a kind of more smoother, yet sharp edge. Violins also feels even more acoustically airy. For certain genres of music, there is a very mentally calming sound with the swissbit + wm1am2. It easily allows for one to emotionally connect to the music at a much deeper level. The ability to sense the atmosphere of the recording environment is a very impressive sensation and that is something that the Swissbit card helps with.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #14,423 of 15,814
@emilsoft Sonywalkmanuser already lured 2 users ( that we know ) in a year (!) Into buying a Swissbit SD

Sure it is concerning

Wait for me after , my overkill comparison of Micron and Swissbit things could get a wild spin

Ordered a 512 Swissbit.
SFSD512GN1AM1TB-I-XH-211-S
Should be the good industrial one.
Oooops

That's three now ☺️

Ps That was fast!

@ShoeGame21 technically not an s-55u , an s-50 instead but.. dubt it's worse, or any different sound results , anyhow :) https://www.swissbit.com/en/company...card-portfolio-with-the-s-55-and-s-58-series/

https://online.stereosound.co.jp/_ct/17611977

(Hiroshi Sato) It's a small detail, but we chose components with good sound for the SD card slot so that the sound will remain the same whether you play from the internal memory or the SD card.

Sato (Morning) Power is supplied to the SD card from the Walkman, but the sound changes depending on the stability of the power supply, so we thought we could manage it properly.

Asakura high-resolution sound sources have a large capacity, so the number of people who listen to sound sources saved on SD cards will increase. It's good that that area is being taken care of properly.

Screenshot_20240304-131455.png

I couldn't find all certifications and grades/characteristics on Micron or Kioxia Endurance similar cards sheets

maybe they are not listed (?),maybe Swissbit has proprietary technologies and is a bit different
Idk

A better error correction and handling in hi-rate read speed helps ,..a factor among others..

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #14,424 of 15,814
@ShoeGame21 technically not an s-55u , an s-50 instead but.. dubt it's worse, or any different sound results , anyhow :) https://www.swissbit.com/en/company...card-portfolio-with-the-s-55-and-s-58-series/
Just different series. I observe that the different series of Swissbit that uses different brand of nand dies still has the same type of error correction and features. There could be some amount of differences in the transfer performance and power consumption between these series due to the different nand die used but I won’t think it would be a drastic enough of difference, afterall Swissbit has mentioned that they source the top quality nand wafers from Kioxia or Micron.

All these industrial cards are designed for operation in much harsher environments and would be robustly engineered with better data integrity management, better emi shielding, better thermal and better power management thus I think these are the most important consideration here over what series to buy.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #14,425 of 15,814
Dear @Sonywalkmanuser @Vamp898 @Whitigir

You seem the most knowledgeable re: Sony DAPs

Having sold my uncapped WM1AM2 to fund an uncapped WM1ZM2, I am now having doubts and wonder if I should get the uncapped ZX707.

Budget not being an issue, according to you, is the WM1ZM2 the obvious choice or are there caveats to consider?

Edit 2: The other question I have is which one is the warmest sounding?

Edit 1: this will be for home listening as I use my uncapped ZX507 when traveling.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #14,426 of 15,814
Sorry that I am not in the list but I answer on my own experience ( since I owned both )😬
The main disasvantage ( caveat?) of the z1m2 is weight and portability , or something I would consider if budget was not an issue

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #14,427 of 15,814
@andrewski in exchange😋you could tell us a brief comparison between 1zm2 and 1am2 on fw1.08
I wish I had already. But I am moving in six days, and my AM2 is packed away. Hopefully within the month I'll have some time to update my perceptions between the two.

Yay Swissbit ❤️

I do think something was lost with the update. Perhaps the inaudible frequencies are a little more audible? I don't know, but there seems to be less of that "sound that seemingly rises from nothing" feeling. Still very happy with the update, but there seemed to be a trade in characteristics.

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #14,428 of 15,814
Picked up a WM1-AM2 last week to pair with IE900. I tried to like it, but it was still quite a bit off Chord Mojo SQ wise.
And did not feel like a huge upgrade from A17 + IE800, while also being bulkier for morning walks.
I did the logical thing and ended up trading for a Mojo 2 + Poly, for the same weight and footprint. I might still pickup a A306 to replace the aging A17 battery.

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #14,429 of 15,814
Having sold my uncapped WM1AM2 to fund uncapped WM1ZM2 but am having doubts and wonder if I should get the uncapped ZX707.
I have the uncapped ZX707 and just saw the ZM2 and AM2 in stores (didn't listen to them).

I would say get the ZX707 if you want to carry it around as I feel the other two are much bigger and heavier. May not be a problem if you mainly use your DAP at home.

I can't comment on the SQ though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back