SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 28, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #14,356 of 15,794
It would be so good if YouTube would not butcher the quality. Even with 1080p Premium there is no improvement. It is so sad that YouTube has absolutely 0 focus on audio quality
Somewhat agree. Yet through my phone speakers, I knew I liked it. I don't think the quality is that bad. I appreciate YouTube to share something. My biggest reason for wanting Spotify is to share playlists. I trialed Apple Music, but it just made me buy more CD's 😂 My brother has a very large movie collection with Apple, and after telling him for years he's finally realized that a digital equivalent has less than 400MB of audio compared to more than 2G on a Blu-ray. He's mad. But the public has spoken. Anyways, YouTube ain't so bad :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #14,357 of 15,794
Somewhat agree. Yet through my phone speakers, I knew I liked it. I don't think the quality is that bad. I appreciate YouTube to share something. My biggest reason for wanting Spotify is to share playlists. I trialed Apple Music, but it just made me buy more CD's 😂 My brother has a very large movie collection with Apple, and after telling him for years he's finally realized that a digital equivalent has less than 400MB of audio compared to more than 2G on a Blu-ray. He's mad. But the public has spoken. Anyways, YouTube ain't so bad :)
YouTube is technically free content so can’t complain much here. But you can always rip the YouTube audio and playback via your swissbit card using Sony Music Player with DSEE Ultimate processing. It definitely makes YouTube music sound so much better once it is played with the Walkman’s AI sound processing, sounds almost like CD Quality. People might scoff at the idea of getting low bit rate audio from YouTube but there’s a lot of music content that exist exclusively on YouTube only.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #14,358 of 15,794
YouTube is technically free content so can’t complain much here. But you can always rip the YouTube audio and playback via your swissbit card using Sony Music Player with DSEE Ultimate processing. It definitely makes YouTube music sound so much better once it is played with the Walkman’s sound processing, sounds almost like CD Quality. People might scoff at the idea of this but there’s a lot of music content that exist exclusively on YouTube only.
Even apps go thru the DSEE Ultimate in Walkman, right? Only thing it goes post Android resampling, am I correct?

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #14,359 of 15,794
YouTube is technically free content so can’t complain much here. But you can always rip the YouTube audio and playback via your swissbit card using Sony Music Player with DSEE Ultimate processing. It definitely makes YouTube music sound so much better once it is played with the Walkman’s AI sound processing, sounds almost like CD Quality. People might scoff at the idea of getting low bit rate audio from YouTube but there’s a lot of music content that exist exclusively on YouTube only.
I certainly appreciate having that option ❤️

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #14,360 of 15,794
Even apps go thru the DSEE Ultimate in Walkman, right? Only thing it goes post Android resampling, am I correct?
Yes. There’s still a big difference between the sound of Sony Music player App + DSEE vs YouTube app + DSEE.

The Sony Music app is more power optimized and also doesn’t require wifi. It is also likely that the Sony Music app has less internal jitter. Google programmers don’t necessarily optimise their apps for sound quality. Also I have tested using Neutron app and UAPP but I still find Sony Music Player app to sound superior even in fw1.08

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #14,362 of 15,794
Decide for yourself if you still think Sony uses the "worst" display screen for their Walkman. Do note that I am not implying that Cayin N7 screen is the worst. But certainly Sony is not the worst amongst all the DAP brands.
182006wllln7v4uuqsu0hq.png

182007bjz3hg136lfqj9fx.png
source:
https://post76.hk/thread-345969-1-1.html
It's 60hz refresh rate. Sony DAP are sadly migraine disasters except run at 100% brightness.

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #14,363 of 15,794
My current must 4 keep daps are rs8, Am2, p6 pro and N8ii.

My all time favourite is rs8>>1am2>N8i=p6 pro.

AM2 WITH M9 is truly all one needs for everyday on the go usage, there is no need for anything else.
I recently had a change to home demo R8ii and while it is great, my AM2 outside of power delivery, outclassed it in all aspect.

R8ii made all recoeding sound identical, which at first listen can be impressive, but it got boring real quick.

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #14,364 of 15,794
Apart form the Sony music app, I do love how Apple Music performs with Walkman. It’s bassy, smooth with XE6. Initially I was little sceptical about Android resampling data but with Sony sound processing On I like the end result. Yes, I get slightly more detail out of native music app but nothing to fault in how Apple Music sounds as far as musical enjoyment goes.

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #14,365 of 15,794
Apart form the Sony music app, I do love how Apple Music performs with Walkman. It’s bassy, smooth with XE6. Initially I was little sceptical about Android resampling data but with Sony sound processing On I like the end result. Yes, I get slightly more detail out of native music app but nothing to fault in how Apple Music sounds as far as musical enjoyment goes.

Sony sound processing has evolved considerably since 2018’s DSEE AI. I feel that Sony has tweaked the dynamic range enhancement part of DSEE Ultimate extremely well on fw 1.08. I feel the dynamics has gain more granularity and more better automated gain control with more loudness variations in the soft and loud parts of the Music. Really helps with music enjoyment as you get to feel more of the stronger beats and soft parts of the sound while not hurting your ears

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #14,366 of 15,794
Sony sound processing has evolved considerably since 2018’s DSEE AI. I feel that Sony has tweaked the dynamic range enhancement part of DSEE Ultimate extremely well on fw 1.08. I feel the dynamics has gain more granularity and more better automated gain control with more loudness variations in the soft and loud parts of the Music. Really helps with music enjoyment as you get to feel more of the stronger beats and soft parts of the sound while not hurting your ears
I need to try my Z1R but I feel the 1.08 dsee AI is pushing the M9 too hard.

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #14,367 of 15,794
I need to try my Z1R but I feel the 1.08 dsee AI is pushing the M9 too hard.
Gain setting can be the issue for 1.08. I think dsee + high gain on the new 1.08 is certainly over pushing the M9 to distortion. Low gain is fine.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #14,368 of 15,794
Gain setting can be the issue for 1.08. I think dsee + high gain on the new 1.08 is certainly over pushing the M9 to distortion. Low gain is fine.
Low gain better indeed for my ZM2+M9. The Z1R however I like on high gain.

My ZX707 remains, for all my gear, on high gain.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #14,369 of 15,794
I’m on low gain with FIR XE6 As well. Better and smoother overall.
FatFreq is inefficient IEM and hence high gain on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back