SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 8, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #3,901 of 15,820
Interesting. That 1Z is more airy than 1ZM2. Not at all my experience even as the 1ZM2 is burning in. And my 1Z was bought when it was first released. So, I would not take that as a universal truth. Always best to have a listen yourself. In any event, it would of course depend on what you listen with. :)
Yep, same impression, my 1ZM2 after 30 hours is more airy than my second hand, already burned in,1Z

May 8, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #3,902 of 15,820
Yep, same impression, my 1ZM2 after 30 hours is more airy than my second hand, already burned in,1Z
My 1zm1 was going back until @MrWalkman wizard of oz tunings. Just 'as a 1a m1' was good enough for me.

May 8, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #3,903 of 15,820
DSEE is also a battery drainer.
I test the battery life using walkman player with DSEE on/off.
When it is ON, the battery consumption doubles (2~3%/h->5~6%/h).
If you are listening outdoors, you won’t necessarily be able to notice the dsee enhancements that much.

I feel that the WM1AM2 has such tremendous high quality dynamic sound that I can enjoy music without using DSEE ultimate. This is not the case for ZX507 where you really need to enable DSEE Ultimate or else the Walkman sound duller.

May 8, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #3,904 of 15,820
If you are listening outdoors, you won’t necessarily be able to notice the dsee enhancements that much.

I feel that the WM1AM2 has such tremendous high quality dynamic sound that I can enjoy music without using DSEE ultimate. This is not the case for ZX507 where you really need to enable DSEE Ultimate or else the Walkman sound duller.
Yep! I can hardly tell the difference between DSEE ON and OFF.

May 8, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #3,906 of 15,820
Managed to reduce memory usage down from ~1.8GB to 1.5GB by using ADB to uninstall apps:
Screenshot_20220508-220558.png

Walkman feels slightly more responsive, scrolling through song list in music app feels more fluid and skipping between tracks feels abit faster too(smaller time delay before next song plays).

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #3,907 of 15,820
Managed to reduce memory usage down from ~1.8GB to 1.5GB by using ADB to uninstall apps:
Screenshot_20220508-220558.png

Walkman feels slightly more responsive, scrolling through song list in music app feels more fluid and skipping between tracks feels abit faster too(smaller time delay before next song plays).
Nice! At least that trims down a bit of background processing. The more you disable, the better the battery and it performances

May 8, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #3,908 of 15,820
Nice! At least that trims down a bit of background processing. The more you disable, the better the battery and it performances
Not just system performance, I am hearing a very slight improvement to the sound quality as well. It's as if a very slight veil has been removed, just a touch more transparent/cleaner sound. Somehow music just feels even more pleasant to listen to.

May 8, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #3,909 of 15,820
Not just system performance, I am hearing a very slight improvement to the sound quality as well. It's as if a very slight veil has been removed, just a touch more transparent/cleaner sound. Somehow music just feels even more pleasant to listen to.
Yes, I agree, even the nuances details are more crisp and more airy. I have no doubt! It gets even better when you can root and assign CPU cores that dedicated to music apps, and other cores for other stuffs (Android DAPs in general)

May 8, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #3,910 of 15,820
Yes, I agree, even the nuances details are more crisp and more airy. I have no doubt! It gets even better when you can root and assign CPU cores that dedicated to music apps, and other cores for other stuffs (Android DAPs in general)
Ok, so now it's free memory as a factor of SQ? Whatever you're smoking, I want some! PS. I love you guys! 🤣🤣🤣

May 8, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #3,911 of 15,820
Ok, so now it's free memory as a factor of SQ? Whatever you're smoking, I want some! PS. I love you guys! 🤣🤣🤣
I don’t smoke but I enjoy my coffee and got just as high and as much feelings as anyone who smokes I guess 😂

On a serious note, I am addicted in disabling Google and it stupid background apps

May 8, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #3,912 of 15,820
It's the reason why people are so against Sony abandoning Linux OS for Android which comes with alot of Google related bloatware.

Background running processes consumes not just additional memory but also additional CPU resources. All these processes will take up abit of system resources in turn will affect sound quality by means of using the cpu in the background which will result in more high power consumption and these background cpu usage will introduce more EMI noise into the audio system, which Sony Engineer claims(in their M2 interview video/article) that they have mitigated the Android sound quality issue with their copper shielding plate.

The biggest issue is all these extra google apps are not necessary for music playback and god knows what kind of processing and data collection happens in the background with these apps. At least we have a way to remove them, wished Sony could have done all this removal with their stock firmware but maybe that will not sit fine with Google Android Certification.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #3,913 of 15,820
It's the reason why people are so against Sony abandoning Linux OS for Android which comes with alot of Google related bloatware.

Background running processes consumes not just additional memory but also additional CPU resources. All these processes will take up abit of system resources in turn will affect sound quality by means of using the cpu in the background which will result in more high power consumption and these background cpu usage will introduce more EMI noise into the audio system, which Sony Engineer claims(in their M2 interview video/article) that they have mitigated the Android issue with their copper shielding plate.

The biggest issue is all these extra google apps are not necessary for music playback and does god knows what kind of processing and data collection in the background. At least we have a way to remove them, wished Sony could have done all this removal with their stock firmware but maybe that will not sit fine with Google Android Certification.
Voltage skews and jitters are the 2 main vigilantes that is heavily affecting the overall systems. Just as long as there are power running and drawing, the noises floors will be polluted with noises, even if it is below the floor noises to our ears, but to the systems where digital reading is accounted with mV-uV and so on....it matters....quiet more than one would think. But then it would come down to the correction algorithms to take care of the rest. Because if it doesn’t, then the whole things become corrupted though. However, time domains data will show it, and I don’t mean that you can measure it with simple 1 flat frequency sweep either.

But if it doesn’t bother you, why worry ? Just be happy

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #3,914 of 15,820
What are the benefits/advantages of listening to a local file in the Sony Music app versus a downloaded file from Apple Music?

Will the same song sound better in one versus the other?

Are you able to utilize more DSP options in the Sony app?

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #3,915 of 15,820
🤯

What next! Its like a parody sketch 🙂

If you reduce memory usage to zero by turning it off does it create a pristine black background 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back