SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 6, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #3,826 of 15,721
Hi All,

This is probably a dumb question but is the wm1zm2 strong enough to drive the trailli? I keep reading complaints about this not being powerful enough overall but from what i've been reading about impedance and sensitivity it should be fine with most if not all IEMs.

I was doing an AB comparison with the new sony and the a&k sp2000 and it seems like i'm getting a much wider soundstage from the 1&k. I also tried this with the empire odin and found it similar. my testing has been limited to a few songs on tidal (the A&K is being returned for dsd issues).

do you think this might be from lack of break in or has anyone else had a similar experience. fwiw i'm enjoying the female vocalists better on the sony.
It absolutely has enough power for Traillii. It has more than enough power to drive IEM’s.

I own an SP2000 and find the stages to be comparable in size. I’d be surprised if SP1K has a bigger stage than SP2K, but I haven’t heard it so I can’t say for sure. Does seem a bit strange that the SP1K stage sounds so much bigger than 1ZM2.

May 6, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #3,827 of 15,721
It absolutely has enough power for Traillii. It has more than enough power to drive IEM’s.

I own an SP2000 and find the stages to be comparable in size. I’d be surprised if SP1K has a bigger stage than SP2K, but I haven’t heard it so I can’t say for sure. Does seem a bit strange that the SP1K stage sounds so much bigger than 1ZM2.
I was testing on the sp2k. maybe my terminology is wrong. i was listening to alan walker - faded and after the drop around 30 seconds they introduce a type of clicking sound to the music. on the sp2k it just felt like i was in a cocoon surrounded by the music while the sony was still very good i just didn't feel as surrounded by those clicks and the music. I assumed this was what was meant by soundstage so if i'm using the term wrong i apologize

May 6, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #3,828 of 15,721

I was testing on the sp2k. maybe my terminology is wrong. i was listening to alan walker - faded and after the drop around 30 seconds they introduce a type of clicking sound to the music. on the sp2k it just felt like i was in a cocoon surrounded by the music while the sony was still very good i just didn't feel as surrounded by those clicks and the music. I assumed this was what was meant by soundstage so if i'm using the term wrong i apologize

May 6, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #3,829 of 15,721
Unfortunately I haven’t got a Traillii anymore so I can’t test it for you, but I do remember Traillii paired very well with SP2K, so it could just be a synergy thing. Trust your ears. If it sounds better on SP2K, I would go with that :)

May 6, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #3,830 of 15,721
Unfortunately I haven’t got a Traillii anymore so I can’t test it for you, but I do remember Traillii paired very well with SP2K, so it could just be a synergy thing. Trust your ears. If it sounds better on SP2K, I would go with that :)
Thank you for the advice but unfortunately too many issues with the sp2k so i'm getting a new unit and will likely sell it. at this point i'm trying to find a good pair of headphones to pair with the sony as this will be the primary player. any suggestions?

May 6, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #3,831 of 15,721
Thank you for the advice but unfortunately too many issues with the sp2k so i'm getting a new unit and will likely sell it. at this point i'm trying to find a good pair of headphones to pair with the sony as this will be the primary player. any suggestions?
I don’t own any headphones but my friends @hshock76 & @Kiats speak highly of the MDR-Z1R paired with 1ZM2

May 6, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #3,832 of 15,721
I know that. But for driving an Oppo PM-3, I think it will have enough power. My ZX-100 didn't so I have bought an Oppo HA-2.
I can used it with my AM2

The UK Z I just tried could drive my SE846, K10U and FD7 but I'm not paying £3K+ for a crippled device when I can import the full designed version outside of EU/UK area and to add to insult, cheaper too (Amazon Japan).

I might want to power a headphone in the future. With a ZX507 a volume on low gain of 45/120 EU vs 90/120 Japanese and no high gain option either is taking the piss.

If your happy with these limitations and extra costs then of course, go for it.

PM-3 102 dB Sensitivity 26 Ohm
SE846 114 dB Sensitivity 8 Ohm (<< 85-90/120 even on balanced!) Compared to: Integrated ESS AMP in DAC on a £310 Hiby R5G2 of 28/100 low gain balanced. Out of 3.5mm headphone socket on my S10+ about 55-60% volume.

Does Sony even state the output without high gain even for no EU spec?

Headphone Out (Stereo mini-jack)​

FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)60mW+60mW (High Gain)

Headphone Out (Balanced standard-jack)​

FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)250mW+250mW (High Gain)

https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #3,833 of 15,721
Thanks for the rec. On another note i was using the usb audio player pro to listen to the same song just now and it seems that letting it play through that vs the tidal app increases the volume as well as sound stage so i'll test later vs the sp2k. it might just be a placebo effect of higher vol = perceived better sound but i'll test anyway.

May 6, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #3,834 of 15,721
The UK Z I just tried could drive my SE846, K10U and FD7 but I'm not paying £3K+ for a crippled device when I can import the full designed version outside of EU/UK area and to add to insult, cheaper too (Amazon Japan).

I might want to power a headphone in the future. With a ZX507 a volume on low gain of 45/120 EU vs 90/120 Japanese and no high gain option either is taking the piss.

If your happy with these limitations and extra costs then of course, go for it.
Obviously the one thing you do get by buying the local version is warranty which you don’t get if you import (or if you do get it you have to send the player back to Japan or where ever you imported from for service)

May 6, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #3,835 of 15,721
Obviously the one thing you do get by buying the local version is warranty which you don’t get if you import (or if you do get it you have to send the player back to Japan or where ever you imported from for service)

Yes, warranty is more troublesome to pursue, less so with it still being Amazon themselves.

May 6, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #3,836 of 15,721
Thanks for the rec. On another note i was using the usb audio player pro to listen to the same song just now and it seems that letting it play through that vs the tidal app increases the volume as well as sound stage so i'll test later vs the sp2k. it might just be a placebo effect of higher vol = perceived better sound but i'll test anyway.
It's not a placebo. I have the same experience with the ZX-507, UAPP sounds fuller, detailed and with better dynamics. It's comparable to using the Walkman app. The only downside is it could became a little bit fatiguing.

May 6, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #3,837 of 15,721
I don’t own any headphones but my friends @hshock76 & @Kiats speak highly of the MDR-Z1R paired with 1ZM2
Yup! The MDR is great with both the 1AM2 and 1ZM2. Excellent soundstage, serious sub bass, great sparkle. I normally do not enjoy closed cans but the MDR is a notable exception. :)

May 6, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #3,838 of 15,721
@ToMa TomA It’s a great pairing. Give it a try if you get a chance to do so. :)

43D16831-8D86-4577-A674-455BF143645A.jpeg

May 6, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #3,839 of 15,721
Yup! The MDR is great with both the 1AM2 and 1ZM2. Excellent soundstage, serious sub bass, great sparkle. I normally do not enjoy closed cans but the MDR is a notable exception. :)
Sony + Sony = 😍

If you want to buy into an "ecosystem of sound" there's only one company right now doing that at the very highest level with IEMs, headphones, desktops and portable sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back