SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 9, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #46 of 15,795
Feb 9, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #47 of 15,795
So Sound Quality aside, its an ZX507 with bigger battery/screen.
Shouldn't the amp section be better and thus improved sounding?

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #48 of 15,795
Output is the same, but the volume is capped nevertheless.
I don't know if that matters something, but in the spec page of zx507 in the Italian site the output is rated 1.1 mW both balanced and single ended, whereas in the us site it is rated 200 mW balanced. Moreover I think that the Eu version doesn't have the option for high gain.

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #49 of 15,795
So Sound Quality aside, its an ZX507 with bigger battery/screen.
it's very interesting.

I presume WM sound engineer Mr Sato is what is known as a 'golden ears'.

I work in radio and music. I'm very, very protective of my hearing. But all hearing deteriorates over time.

Inescapable but unfortunate biological fact.

In the new video Mr Sato talks about doing a/b listening comparisons - re the new capacitors, solder etc - to make 'incremental' improvements to the WM1Z.

The S-Master stays the same.

There's a definite Japanese / Swiss ' handmade' (Patek, Grand Seiko) thing going on here.

Because what you always see on forums is that Sony's players do not play well in terms of benchmark testing (vis A&K and DAPs using THX tech with black silent backgrounds). They do not score as well....

But there's a musical euphony that some of Sony's DAPs have which is not really graphable - which is what draws certain ears (mine) towards their playing of digital files.

And I'm not talking about the vinyl revival 'back to warm' which to be honest in physics terms is just adding a reassuring pink noise filter - the physical interaction of needle on plastic - to everything - making it sound 'warm'. That's all vinyl is (for heaven's sake you have to take out the base to physically make the record and add it back in like a thickener using the RIAA curve with a preamp).

Indeed @MrWalkman allowed me to hear (and we know with region sound changes) that software can actually 'warm up too much' a good thing in the case of the hardware of the WM1Z.

This Sony musicality is really this a/b testing by one person, maybe a few more.

The irony of course is that the people that can afford to buy a 400,000 yen DAP will already have hearing that will not be able to hear of 16k, most likely it will be 14k and falling....

Including the designer....even if he is an outlier in the aging process....

With NAP's modding of WM1s we know better components can be put in - but the ear's ability is the baseline that as Hendrix said - are 'castles made of sand...that slip into the sea...eventually....."

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #50 of 15,795
I don't know if that matters something, but in the spec page of zx507 in the Italian site the output is rated 1.1 mW both balanced and single ended, whereas in the us site it is rated 200 mW balanced. Moreover I think that the Eu version doesn't have the option for high gain.
Obvs, I don't know the specifics on the new models, but on the previous versions it was a software limitation rather than a hardware one. In any case, obviously if it can't be uncapped by the normal software routes, it's a major issue given the already highly limited output 250mw on high-gain (enough for efficient IEMS, but not for demanding IEMs much less headphones).

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #51 of 15,795
Obvs, I don't know the specifics on the new models, but on the previous versions it was a software limitation rather than a hardware one. In any case, obviously if it can't be uncapped by the normal software routes, it's a major issue given the already highly limited output 250mw on high-gain (enough for efficient IEMS, but not for demanding IEMs much less headphones).

I still expect the WM1A/Z MK2 have a true 4.4mm line out (2V or 4V), so it should be a nice option to get a rather portable DAP and when needed just plug the output to a quite compact Centrance Ampersand with 2x3W and be able on the way in hotels or on holidays to fully enjoy some rather portable headphones like DCA Stealth..
I really like the idea of 40h battery life with 96khz flac files.
So maybe I would imagine a bit more versatile combo than my actual Fiio M17 like :
-> a WM1A/Z MK2 as a real street portable system with some IEM IE900 (or even VE EXT ?)
-> a WM1A/Z MK2 + Centrance Ampersand as a rather transportable system for hotel rooms, overseas flights with DCA Stealth.

I am not sure to have a mind to spend, another €3700 for the Z version, but the €1400 for the A version should be already a kind of step-up for me.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #52 of 15,795
Rhey went back to the Himp design. I dont rhink they will aurpass the SMP in sound

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #53 of 15,795
I still expect the WM1A/Z MK2 have a true 4.4mm line out (2V or 4V), so it should be a nice option to get a rather portable DAP and when needed just plug the output to a quite compact Centrance Ampersand with 2x3W and be able on the way in hotels or on holidays to fully enjoy some rather portable headphones like DCA Stealth..
So maybe I would imagine a bit more versatile combo than my actual Fiio M17 like :
-> a WM1A/Z MK2 as a real street portable system with some IEM IE900 (or even VE EXT ?)
-> a WM1A/Z MK2 + Centrance Ampersand as a rather transportable system for hotel rooms, overseas flights with DCA Stealth.

I am not sure to have a mind to spend, another €3700 for the Z version, but the €1400 for the A version should be already a kind of step-up for me.
The only Sony device that I've had that has a true line out is my beloved WM-D6C. I'm not aware of any of their DAPs using a line out, and doubt that the new models will given they're using what seems like the same architecture as WM1A/Z. I hope I'm wrong. If nothing else, I'm sure the pairing with the IE900 will work well.

But yes, the A version is a veritable bargain compared to the price increase on the Z model.

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #54 of 15,795
Oh for sure: slower more energy efficient SoC + energy efficient DAC + low amplification power output.

People wrongly accuse Android of being a bettery hog but Android in DAPs is generally highly optimised and stripped down to basics.

It's all the power hungry hardware around it, plus high-res, high-refresh screens (also missing from the new Walkmans, btw), that consume all the power.

I suspect coming from a more modern, powerful Android DAP (not to mention smartphones), many will be disappointed with the UI speed and responsiveness of the new Walkmans. Tidal, for example, is very resource intensive, and even if you don't stream, try managing a 10,000+ track library on an underpowered Android device...
Yeah. Look DMP is walkman OS and has only 10 hours battery life with flac 16 /44 ot has dual AKM 4497 DAC and dual TI TPA amp chips (1.5W of power)

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #55 of 15,795
Wonder if Sony will still be supporting Android upgrades to these 4-5 years down the road or just abandonning them after 1-2 years eventually leaving them only being able to be used for local play back because the latest streaming apps can no longer be installed
Thats the reason why i can't justify to spend 3.7k€ on an Android DAP :sweat_smile:

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #56 of 15,795
The only Sony device that I've had that has a true line out is my beloved WM-D6C. I'm not aware of any of their DAPs using a line out, and doubt that the new models will given they're using what seems like the same architecture as WM1A/Z. I hope I'm wrong. If nothing else, I'm sure the pairing with the IE900 will work well.

But yes, the A version is a veritable bargain compared to the price increase on the Z model.
My NW-ZX1 has a lineout via the walkman port. Used to use this in my previous car (no Bluetooth)

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #57 of 15,795
My NW-ZX1 has a lineout via the walkman port. Used to use this in my previous car (no Bluetooth)
But this is a line out where you bypass the DAC rather than amp, right? (Because that's how I remember from my previous Sony DAPs). Meaning - if you connect an amp via analog, you're double amping.

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #58 of 15,795

I very much doubt that they will have line out. You used to be able to get a WM port to line out adapter but I don’t think any dap the last 5-6 years has supported this

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #59 of 15,795
I very much doubt that they will have line out. You used to be able to get a WM port to line out adapter but I don’t think any dap the last 5-6 years has supported this
Maybe time for Sony to do it again :L3000:.. just bypassing the amp section, like almost all other brands do it these last years.
I know Sony don't have any portable pure amp (with no DAC) in their catalog ... so the chance of such feature like a real line out is very tiny.

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #60 of 15,795
But this is a line out where you bypass the DAC rather than amp, right? (Because that's how I remember from my previous Sony DAPs). Meaning - if you connect an amp via analog, you're double amping.
Not sure... surely the Lineout is post DAC otherwise you'd be hearing 1's and 0's :) .. my MZ-R3 had a dedicated lineout. MZ-RH1 has a lineout as part of the headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back