Sony NW-HD3
Dec 1, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #31 of 122
is it me just me or does foobar2000 not have a volume control bar within the program.
blink.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #32 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
is it me just me or does foobar2000 not have a volume control bar within the program.
blink.gif

The + and - key work after you enable the volume control under the DSP.

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #33 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
The + and - key work after you enable the volume control under the DSP.

thx bro'. i'm just so used to using winamp and having the volume slider right there.
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #34 of 122
yodobashi got em for 44,000 yen. Even the gaijin tax free don't make the price happy. (if it didn't have sonicstage, maybe ok).

At least it looks nice in the hot pink.

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #35 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
yodobashi got em for 44,000 yen. Even the gaijin tax free don't make the price happy. (if it didn't have sonicstage, maybe ok).

At least it looks nice in the hot pink.

What do you mean, Yodobashi got them? It's already available??

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #36 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis

- encrypted is fine (a slight pain in the *** but not a deal-breaker, IMO) as long as the quality of my MP3's is not reduced in any way. I spent far too long ripping my CD collection at high bitrates for Sony to come in and re-encode everything ...

What exactly does the encryption process involve? The Sony software could be converting the mp3 files to atrac for all we know and just cover that as "encrypting" the files.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
looks like a lot of people are still in love with sony (me included).
biggrin.gif

I always liked Sony's electronic gadget/device designs. I really don't understand the visual appeal of the ipod. I mean a white slab with a metal backing? The ipod minis I are appealing visually but the regular ipod to me is really nothing special looking. If the HD1 or HD2 can playback mp3 I would of bought it in a heart beat. But I felt the HD3 missed the mark a bit on design/visual appeal and not quite sure what this encryption business might involve.

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #37 of 122
Quote:

On the site, I think you can pre-order but they won't ship until 10th.

It's just nice (I guess) to see a price.

Also www.sawadadenki.co.jp sell HD2s for ~37000 yen. Maybe the HD3 will be similarly priced. Unfortunately that shop is in OSAKA. I guess there's nothing wrong with ordering online though.

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #38 of 122
Quote:

For some reason I always call it yobodashi...dunno why...anyway, here's a link for your viewing pleasure: http://www.yodobashi.com/

Anyway, I think the HD3 looks a lot better than the HD1/2, it's a smoother face and reminds me of an MD unit, which is better. The Red/Black one looks absolutely sick.

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #39 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
What exactly does the encryption process involve? The Sony software could be converting the mp3 files to atrac for all we know and just cover that as "encrypting" the files.

I always liked Sony's electronic gadget/device designs. I really don't understand the visual appeal of the ipod. I mean a white slab with a metal backing? The ipod minis I are appealing visually but the regular ipod to me is really nothing special looking. If the HD1 or HD2 can playback mp3 I would of bought it in a heart beat. But I felt the HD3 missed the mark a bit on design/visual appeal and not quite sure what this encryption business might involve.

If Sony was just calling the conversion to ATRAC "encryption," they wouldn't be telling people the HD3 (and HD1/2 with updated firmware) can now play MP3s - the HDx units have ALWAYS required conversion to ATRAC, it wouldn't make sense for Sony to re-label that as "encryption" and then release a new unit and new firmware.

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #41 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I can say that the bigger your library gets, the more Sonicstage starts to suck very, very badly.

You don't have to have a large library for UselessStage to suck very, very badly. All you have to do is be unlucky enough for the program to crash every single freaking time you ever use it... such as me. (Yes, SS 2.2.)

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #42 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Anyway, I think the HD3 looks a lot better than the HD1/2, it's a smoother face and reminds me of an MD unit, which is better. The Red/Black one looks absolutely sick.

I don't like the horizontal design, but the electric-blue colored one is rather sexy. If it is anything like all the other Sony products I've used before, it probably is a pain in the rear to use, and has a nightmare network of menus, a la MZ-N10.

I love the ability to access every function (except for the Hold switch) with one hand on my iPod Mini.

5mW output. Sony really must learn... that 5mW just sucks big mossy rocks.

SonicStage. Just the mere mention of that abberation masquerading as an application sends shivers of horror into my brain. To think that I almost bought an HD2 over my iPod Mini, because it was also available in pink (and had a sexy blue backlight)... oi. I don't care if it's the very best DAP in existence, if it depends on UselessStage, then it's nothing better than a paperweight. iTunes has spoiled me. =P

Bangra, what's the playlisting like on the HD walkmen? Is it just more of the same "Group" function copout that seems to run rampant on sony daps?

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #43 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
Isn't it doing the same sort of thing that the Toshiba gigabeat does?

I think so.

That reminds me, I think the AV Watch review said if you wanted to attach a picture/CD cover to songs on a Gigabeat F (colour screen), you have to do it one song at a time. The software won't let you do it in bulk
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #44 of 122
I've got the NW-HD1 for a few months now. Sonic Stage (2.1) is a complete and utter disaster, the most erratic and counterintuitive program I saw this century.

But so what? Once I got my stuff (nearly 200 Cd's at 256 kbs, A3+) on the player, I hardly needed it.

The player itself is great; cute, durable, long batterylife, and I love the sound.

Dec 1, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #45 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
I've got the NW-HD1 for a few months now. Sonic Stage (2.1) is a complete and utter disaster, the most erratic and counterintuitive program I saw this century.

The player itself is great; cute, durable, long batterylife, and I love the sound.

Agreed and agreed. I always say SonicStage is worse than anything Microsoft could possibly release. The 1.5 and versions before kept crashing for me, but 2.0+ I could live with.

Maybe Sony could bundle iTunes with a future Qualia DAP... that program generates qualia, so to speak
biggrin.gif
If you don't get the joke, nevermind
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back