Sony MZ-R909 vs. MZ-N1
Sep 19, 2003 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

epithetless

Headphoneus Supremus
In the past, I used an MZ-R700 for making live recordings and (painstakingly) transferring CDs to MD for portable listening. Then my player started skipping...and I caught the upgrade bug.

So, my question to you folks...

Are there any significant differences between the two players above that make one a better buy? I realize the N1 has netMD, which might make transfers a little easier (assuming I rip my CDs to my computer first)...but for those who've used it, is netMD worth it? And as far as listening and making live recordings goes, are they pretty much identical?

Sep 19, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 7
I don´t have a NetMD-Unit, so I can´t really comment on NetMD;
you will probably know that there is the T-Station Board with tons of information on NetMD;
that´s being said, you will find on that board that the N1 had a lot of problems, so if you want NetMD, which I don´t have, to say that again, the N10 or the 910 would be a much better choice than the N1 and usually there are even cheaper (unless you can make a special deal on the N1)

one main problem of NetMD is, that you can´t record in true SP, you can only make LP2 copies (if you choose SP in sonic stage) it isn´t true SP, it´s just some kind of LP2 which can be played on older SP-only modells

the software problems however with sonic stage or magic gate can be solved in most cases as there are several substitutes as simple burner or real player - so this won´t be an issue after all

Sep 19, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 7
The N1 is, basically, the R909 with Net MD, plus a design-defective optical block. Unless Net MD is something you want/need, the R909 is very sturdy (aluminum shell) and mine has been very relaible for two years of ownership. The R910 is very similar except it has a magnesium shell and, persnallly, I think it sounds a bit better than the R909. (Yes, I have them both)

I imagine a new R909 should be relatively cheap, if you can find one.

Sep 20, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 7
I've had a the R909 and I can vouch for its durabilty and sturdiness. It may feel light in your hand, but it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. However, the sound from it is clear, but pretty much lacking in "oomph", especially in the bass.

If you don't need netMD, I'd actually say that the Sharp DR7 is pretty much a hands down first choice of MD recorder. Not only in terms of sound quality, but in terms of live-recording features (settings, on-the-fly adjustments, mic-in quality). And like the 909, the DR7 is very sturdy.

I'd say you'd get a FAR better unit if you buy one of those (new or used), instead of the Sony.

Sep 20, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 7
i agree with the DR7 comment. it's truly a nice, new unit. however, i've had my MZ-N1 for almost 2 years and i've never had a problem with it. lets hope i don't jinx myself by saying that. the software sucks, but no one is making you use it - it has every function the 909 has and then some.

Sep 20, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 7
a consensus appears to be growing regarding the dr7, and i must say i agree!!!

i've worked my way through a few md recorders and have settled on the dr7 as my recorder of choice. i feel that it offers the best modern md has to offer: high output (8mW/channel @ 32ohms compared with 5mW @ 16 ohms for sonys), the great sound that comes with higher output of course, high-output line-out for amps, great recording options, beauty, easily usable remote, and small size. i use the dr7 with a supermini and fit it all in my pants pocket
biggrin.gif

if you're reading head-fi, you might as well skip the netmd units!!! netmd won't, as already mentioned, give you true sp. this means that you won't get the best quality recordings for use with your high-quality md unit, amp, and high-quality headphones. you might fall into the trap of using the netmd function to make lots of lp2 recordings because of the covenience only to re-record in sp-mode later on
rolleyes.gif
get it right the first time with sp mode on a great mdr - the dr7!!!

later
nikolaus

Sep 20, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 7
as said n1 is a r909 with netMD. I don't care about MD and have been happy with r909 for little over a year now. Good sound and built and a reliable machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back