Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Aug 15, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #61 of 2,453
Unboxing of the Sony MDR-Z7M2 and comparison with the Z7... in vietnamese

huh, the new one may have a very slightly bigger housing there looking at the baffle side by side, tho that may just from the video perspective. so, 6 ports eh, 3 above, 3 below, all around the housing, I wonder how that'd effect isolation, if it at least is better than the Z7 it'd already be an improvement tho haha.

packaging is still the same tho, I guess that won't change much for a below 1K product. I don't see the serial number plate tho.

Aug 16, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #63 of 2,453
The initial impression doesn't make it sound like a z5 sounding headphone which I was hoping for. And before anyone says to get the z1r headphone, I already have it and sorta like it, but it's still not similar to the z5 to me.
I recently tried the Z7 hoping it might be in the vicinity of the Z5, but I'm still on the lookout. It doesn't sound like the Z7M2 will be any closer but I'll give it a go.

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #64 of 2,453
This Mk2 is the headphone I've been waiting for ever since I sold my original Z7 a couple of years ago. As some prominent reviewers pointed out back in the day, it had its fair share of issues, but hopefully these design optimizations help in that regard. I already have a Z1R and Tazzy (TA-ZH1ES), so it's hard to justify getting these right away at anywhere near MSRP, but hopefully someday I'll hunt down a used or discount pair.

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #65 of 2,453
3. General Impressions

I'm glad to say I've managed to try on all of these newly releases for the past two days and listened to hotel california the way i listen to all stars: 50 times back to back. I dont know if the showrooms prevented the DAP's from reading sd cards cause it refused to read mine, hence i was stuck with hotel california cause i didnt know the other songs in the provided DAP :p ANYWAYS, here are my impressions of the Z7Mk2 but do read it with a grain of salt because these are all in showroom conditions where there is quite a bit of external noise.

Z7Mk2:
The most immediate thing that hit me was the treble energy. There is a bit of an unevenness in the treble with a peak that can produce slight sibilance. However, there is decent perceived clarity and air to the sound that it provides and it is something that i like. The mids are a little thin and the bass is well controlled. I would not consider this headphone bassy and i can see a lot of the technologies of the MDR-Z1R aiding in the control and tightness of the bass. Bass is well balanced though like i said, not pronounced, with good impact. The soundstage is, in my opinion, small, but there is decent separation. The amount of engineering that must be put in to solve the problems cause by a closed back headphone is no small feat and after hearing it, I do like this headphone. I wish to test this headphone out of a warmer source to see if the treble could be soften.
Were you able to get an impression of the sub bass? When you say that it is not bassy, would there perhaps be less mid bass, that for me seems to give the original Z7 it's bassy feel?

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #66 of 2,453
Were you able to get an impression of the sub bass? When you say that it is not bassy, would there perhaps be less mid bass, that for me seems to give the original Z7 it's bassy feel?

Hey! When i said it was less bass i did indeed mean the mid bass was less. As for subbass, i am unfortunately unable to give a fair opinion of it because the environment was noisy but still i didnt hear an emphasis on the subbass though there is a good rumble to it, quite a balanced amount. I hope this answers your query?

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #67 of 2,453
Price??????????????????????????

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #69 of 2,453
Hey! When i said it was less bass i did indeed mean the mid bass was less. As for subbass, i am unfortunately unable to give a fair opinion of it because the environment was noisy but still i didnt hear an emphasis on the subbass though there is a good rumble to it, quite a balanced amount. I hope this answers your query?
Yes, thanks. I just got the Z7 to try and as much as I can appreciate some of their qualities, I can also notice the 'imperfections' I've read about. I'm just deciding whether to keep them or not - either way I'm hoping that the M2 may be more to my liking.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #70 of 2,453
As far as Singapore pricing go, its $949sgd whereas the original Z7 was $899sgd. I think you can expect marginal increase in price from the original Z7!
Thank you.

Aug 17, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #71 of 2,453
Yes, thanks. I just got the Z7 to try and as much as I can appreciate some of their qualities, I can also notice the 'imperfections' I've read about. I'm just deciding whether to keep them or not - either way I'm hoping that the M2 may be more to my liking.

Based on my experience in buying consumer goods, sometimes the "new, improved version" is better than
the version it replaces.
And then, of course, many times they aren't better than the originals - in fact, they're not as good.

But the new versions do tend to be more expensive than the originals.

One instance > I remember buying the Grado RS1e upon its release. Two or three years ago.
I had the RS1i, and loved it.

But I didn't much like the RS1e.
And very soon afterwards, I found that many others felt the same way.
[You can see many threads about this issue here on head-fi.]

Fortunately, I was able to return them for a full refund.
And I did so.

Though I do intend to buy the Mk2's as soon as they're out (without premium pricing),
it's without any strong expectations one way or the other.
All I know at this point is that there's a new product out from a respected company,
and the PR machine is in full swing.

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #72 of 2,453
As usual, Sony prices will trickle down quite strongly with time, so people who is still just mildly curious and has a setup they're satisfied with can wait for the right moment to go in. :)

Aug 18, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #73 of 2,453
Man I just got the Z7 a couple of months ago...

I will still need to check this one out though, the Z7 design is the best looking I have ever seen and the most comfortable I have ever worn.

Aug 19, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #74 of 2,453
@pietcux
Interesting, perhaps I stand corrected.

What I'm referencing is the geometry seen on the box. When I was at the Z7 press conference, it was never advertised as such. Perhaps after much use, the two earpads arrive at the same final product :p

Could you confirm fir overall best sound quality are the MDR-Z1R still positioned by Sony as their flagship headphones. If not surely they will receive and sharp priice decrease on par with the Z7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back