Sony MDR Z1000 Vs Denon AH D5000's? Please help!
Dec 22, 2011 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

FortisFlyer75

1000+ Head-Fier
Has any one heard both the Sony Z1000's and the Denon D5000's to be able to to do a direct comparison or especially with the Z10000s just elaborate on what few reviews there seem to be currently on here for the Sony's.

I am without full cans in my inventory due to selling my K702s to fund my JH16pros which are my primary home/ mobile solution now but am missing that full can listening experience sometimes and want a full size can that not is not necessarily have to be on same level as 16's but would be nice as I did thoroughly enjoy my time (all 12 months) with my K702's and their detailed, dry like airy sound that to me had a nice even balance across the range.

For reference I listen or span across various genres so Rock/ pop/ dance/ female vocal/ blues/ jazz/ country/ folk
so guess it always makes it harder to find a can to handle/ cover all these comfortably I know and will always be an ask bur one can hope.  I always found even though my K702's did excel with certain genres more than others which is partially true and opposite of the JH16's I still enjoyed them both with all genres mentioned above so hopefully could find that same relationship with either the D5000s or Z1000's?

Look forward to comparisons on those two or just enlightenments on either model with what genres I listen to in conjunction to once owning the K702's and currently JH16pros. 

If it also helps into the mix weighing it all up currently the D5000's are £350 and the Z1000's £300  on a certain site which makes it seem a good time to buy either of these specimens.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 15
If you are using AMPs in chain and want open headphones then i will recommend the Sony SA5000, Beyerdynamic DT880(600 Ohm), AD1000 and they all are very detailed, airy without heavy bass response. But from above list D5000 with AMPs are better sounding than Z1000.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 15
^^ Did you even read his post? Was anything he is asking questions about an open headphone?  
rolleyes.gif
  Considering he sold an open can to fund the purchase of a high-end custom in-ear, and is now looking at closed headphones, one would hopefully deduce that he needs some amount of isolation, not to mention that he didn't make any reference to the phones you are recommending. Also, do you own those headphones, have you even heard them, or are you pawning others' observations as usual? 

FortisFlyer--
I haven't heard the D5000's (would love to), but the Z1000's were a little choked in sounding in terms of soundstage I thought, when I had them. They were highly detailed, and nicely balanced, but I thought the bass was a little on the light side. That, and the narrow soundstage, caused me to not keep them too long. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 15
Can't offer a direct comparison but i've owned both, differnt times. I much prefer the Z1000 to the stock D5000. It's more balanced, quite posibly more detailed (can't tell from memory) and the bass is much more controlled of course. though the Denons have better low extention IIRC. And a wider sounstage but i didn't think the Z1000's particularly lacking, It has a nice solid depth, good sepration (better than D5k's from memory) and a precise imaging.
Now if you're taking the markl mod into account then it's much more even ground, but still i'd prefer the Sony for a very versitle and semi-portable soultion, not to mention much less bulky on the head. I only sold mine cause i want to upgrade my IEM's soon haha...

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
If you are using AMPs in chain and want open headphones then i will recommend the Sony SA5000, Beyerdynamic DT880(600 Ohm), AD1000 and they all are very detailed, airy without heavy bass response. But from above list D5000 with AMPs are better sounding than Z1000.

Open cans is not a must for me, just was relating more to the experience of the sig I had with my K702's that i enjoyed but also enjoying the opposite sig now but with heaps more resolution/ micro detail in my 16Pros. which have plenty of bass. It would be nice to have closed full size cans this time round if possible for isolation and no sound pollution to others. 

Found the Z1000's appealing due to their current reduced price and not needing a home amp straight away even though I have the ibasso DB1 & PB1 it can pair with for the time being as I sold my home rig amp earlier this year so do need to contemplate another home amp early next year especially  for sure if I choose anything other than the efficient Z1000's. 

Quote:
^^ Did you even read his post? Was anything he is asking questions about an open headphone?  
rolleyes.gif
  Considering he sold an open can to fund the purchase of a high-end custom in-ear, and is now looking at closed headphones, one would hopefully deduce that he needs some amount of isolation, not to mention that he didn't make any reference to the phones you are recommending. Also, do you own those headphones, have you even heard them, or are you pawning others' observations as usual? 

FortisFlyer--
I haven't heard the D5000's (would love to), but the Z1000's were a little choked in sounding in terms of soundstage I thought, when I had them. They were highly detailed, and nicely balanced, but I thought the bass was a little on the light side. That, and the narrow soundstage, caused me to not keep them too long. 

Hi CN11, good to see you have the X1060 still running, anticipating and eagerly awaiting for the new Sony 64gb android Z player early next year if it turns out as good as the X SQ. 

I take note on the sound stage which is the third mention of this on these cans i have heard and my best experience of a nice open sound stage was with my K702's due to them been open back I suppose but have not missed that with my 16's which are not so open expansive (do have their moments though!) due to the high level of detail the 16's are capable of so if they are not any worse than my 16's my ears are currently tuned into it might possibly not be to much of an issue for me.

The bass would be interesting coming from the earth shattering lows the 16's can go to for a pair of monitors so well could find going to the Z1000's lightweight and wanting but I originally went from heavier bass earphones and headphones before I went to the K702's and again I think at the time the step up for me to greater detail and resolution from them sounded just right having an over all balance with the K702' not over doing the bass. 

With them both been at a good price at the moment on site here in the UK especially the Z1000's not having to have a high end amp straight of the bat with it been £300 or even better they do have one for £249 as a b grade as the box has been opened only does it is making it hard to turn down the gamble CN11 ; )

I may well find like you in time I would regret the purchase due to the sound stage issue or perhaps lack of bass which the latter is less likely for me even with now been accustomed to the seismic 16pros.
With enjoying both different sigs off the 16's and my old 702's I would say my primary attributes I am looking for is for them to have good PRAT, resolution, good even balance and maybe a set of cans that can still sound enjoyable at lower volumes as I am surprised at how much I have to push the volume on my 16's for them to come to life regardless of source and amping.

Only concern i have come across is the reports of the headband rods that attach to the cups sheer of as they are a tad fragile for the job even when not miss treated apparently. 

Would love to get both! even though getting the D5000's i would need to gear up for an amp sooner rather than later but it will be hard tomorrow when the shop opens up especially if they have the B grade Sony is still available to order it at £249!

Knowing what you personally know now about the Z1000's would you you bite on them @ £249 or even £300?

One other thing that does appeal to me, not a deal breaker as such against the Denon (after all the sound comes first!), but the Sony does have the detachable cable on one side only just like my K702 and as I found to my amazement how much better a better cable can be to the stock's plus any accidental cable damage that could occur can be swapped out easy as abc. 

Thanks though for the insight on your findings in your time with them ; )

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Can't offer a direct comparison but i've owned both, differnt times. I much prefer the Z1000 to the stock D5000. It's more balanced, quite posibly more detailed (can't tell from memory) and the bass is much more controlled of course. though the Denons have better low extention IIRC. And a wider sounstage but i didn't think the Z1000's particularly lacking, It has a nice solid depth, good sepration (better than D5k's from memory) and a precise imaging.
Now if you're taking the markl mod into account then it's much more even ground, but still i'd prefer the Sony for a very versitle and semi-portable soultion, not to mention much less bulky on the head. I only sold mine cause i want to upgrade my IEM's soon haha...

Hi Amarphael, your description is sounding reminiscent of what I am currently engaged in with my 16's and would be looking for in the full size can with the separation and precise imaging, lower bass not such an issue (i don't think?) as long as it can be there to when the recording requires them to a bit like my old K702's used to, they where not bas heavy and had a good mid bass range on them but once in a while when called upon would have the ability to go a few khz lower and take you by surprise! 

I think with the semi portable or more essentially the ability to not be co-efficient on a top end amp for them to spark into life really at the current price is going to give the edge over the D5k's in my mind from what you and CN11 have kindly mentioned. If I already had the dedicated home amp in place (not sold my old one! doh) it may of been a closer thing to weigh up just on the SQ alone, and the Z1000's as a bit of icing on the cake does have the detachable cable running on one side only. 

Yep,know that feeling of selling to upgrade that iem, that is why i am currently without a good home amp having to sell my Naim head amp  and my K702's as they funded my JH16pros a while back but now would ideally like a pair of capable full size cans just for chill out home listen and monitor quickly on the laptop at home but still have the detail or not too much of a gap in terms of SQ to my 16's and at the price both the Z1000's and D5K's are it looks a good time to bag a bargain for the SQ on offer. 

Cheer's again ; )

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
my home rig amp earlier this year so do need to contemplate another home amp early next year especially  for sure if I choose anything other than the efficient Z1000's. 

Hi CN11, good to see you have the X1060 still running, anticipating and eagerly awaiting for the new Sony 64gb android Z player early next year if it turns out as good as the X SQ. 

I take note on the sound stage which is the third mention of this on these cans i have heard and my best experience of a nice open sound stage was with my K702's due to them been open back I suppose but have not missed that with my 16's which are not so open expansive (do have their moments though!) due to the high level of detail the 16's are capable of so if they are not any worse than my 16's my ears are currently tuned into it might possibly not be to much of an issue for me.

The bass would be interesting coming from the earth shattering lows the 16's can go to for a pair of monitors so well could find going to the Z1000's lightweight and wanting but I originally went from heavier bass earphones and headphones before I went to the K702's and again I think at the time the step up for me to greater detail and resolution from them sounded just right having an over all balance with the K702' not over doing the bass. 

With them both been at a good price at the moment on site here in the UK especially the Z1000's not having to have a high end amp straight of the bat with it been £300 or even better they do have one for £249 as a b grade as the box has been opened only does it is making it hard to turn down the gamble CN11 ; )

I may well find like you in time I would regret the purchase due to the sound stage issue or perhaps lack of bass which the latter is less likely for me even with now been accustomed to the seismic 16pros.
With enjoying both different sigs off the 16's and my old 702's I would say my primary attributes I am looking for is for them to have good PRAT, resolution, good even balance and maybe a set of cans that can still sound enjoyable at lower volumes as I am surprised at how much I have to push the volume on my 16's for them to come to life regardless of source and amping.

Only concern i have come across is the reports of the headband rods that attach to the cups sheer of as they are a tad fragile for the job even when not miss treated apparently. 

Would love to get both! even though getting the D5000's i would need to gear up for an amp sooner rather than later but it will be hard tomorrow when the shop opens up especially if they have the B grade Sony is still available to order it at £249!

Knowing what you personally know now about the Z1000's would you you bite on them @ £249 or even £300?

One other thing that does appeal to me, not a deal breaker as such against the Denon (after all the sound comes first!), but the Sony does have the detachable cable on one side only just like my K702 and as I found to my amazement how much better a better cable can be to the stock's plus any accidental cable damage that could occur can be swapped out easy as abc. 

Thanks though for the insight on your findings in your time with them ; )

For 300GBP, I think that's getting into the area where I'd question the value/performance issue, honestly. That's what, about $450? I paid full price when I had them (don't regret having done so, since I got to listen to Sony's high end closed headphone for a while), but was able to sell them at a decent price too. I think they're sought after enough that if you wanted to try them out you'd come out okay when/if selling. I admired the build quality with the magnesium ear cups, and they feel like they'd survive being run over (apart from the reported headband shearing issue, I suppose). And they're small enough to be really 'transportable'. I think the most accurate description I can think of is that they don't call attention to themselves when you're listening. Very 'monitor-like'. And yeah, the detachable cable is a major plus! 

Good luck with your decision.

The X1060 is still rocking daily! It's been on several trips to China/Hong Kong/Thailand, and has never missed a beat. I'm also eyeing the Z1070 when it's released. I'm considering importing it from Japan early in the new year since apparently now the Japanese model has an English language setting (although how would you be able to figure out how to get there, ha ha!!). 

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
For 300GBP, I think that's getting into the area where I'd question the value/performance issue, honestly. That's what, about $450? I paid full price when I had them (don't regret having done so, since I got to listen to Sony's high end closed headphone for a while), but was able to sell them at a decent price too. I think they're sought after enough that if you wanted to try them out you'd come out okay when/if selling. I admired the build quality with the magnesium ear cups, and they feel like they'd survive being run over (apart from the reported headband shearing issue, I suppose). And they're small enough to be really 'transportable'. I think the most accurate description I can think of is that they don't call attention to themselves when you're listening. Very 'monitor-like'. And yeah, the detachable cable is a major plus! 

Good luck with your decision.

The X1060 is still rocking daily! It's been on several trips to China/Hong Kong/Thailand, and has never missed a beat. I'm also eyeing the Z1070 when it's released. I'm considering importing it from Japan early in the new year since apparently now the Japanese model has an English language setting (although how would you be able to figure out how to get there, ha ha!!). 

Cheer's CN11, Next cheapest place for them currently in UK is £333 and with opting for a B grade version @ £249 -  only reason is box has been opened and is as new with all accessories incorporating a 10% off redemption offer voucher at checkout on top I could not resist trying these out for £225 knowing that they are efficient to run straight from a dap if need be and the single detachable made it to good to turn down. 

Good to hear your X1060 still rocking with so many other owners having their battery lifespan somewhat shortened. The Z1070 is the one I am eyeing for 2012 for sure and is long overdue, I may bite on a Japanese import if the release date for UK is at least Q2 at best from what I can gather, looks like we will just have to learn the Japanese language to find the English menu on the on the darn thing ! lol 

Thanks for the input on the Z1000's looking  forward to next Thursday's delivery now (damn x-mas bank holidays over here!)

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Cheer's CN11, Next cheapest place for them currently in UK is £333 and with opting for a B grade version @ £249 -  only reason is box has been opened and is as new with all accessories incorporating a 10% off redemption offer voucher at checkout on top I could not resist trying these out for £225 knowing that they are efficient to run straight from a dap if need be and the single detachable made it to good to turn down. 

Good to hear your X1060 still rocking with so many other owners having their battery lifespan somewhat shortened. The Z1070 is the one I am eyeing for 2012 for sure and is long overdue, I may bite on a Japanese import if the release date for UK is at least Q2 at best from what I can gather, looks like we will just have to learn the Japanese language to find the English menu on the on the darn thing ! lol 

Thanks for the input on the Z1000's looking  forward to next Thursday's delivery now (damn x-mas bank holidays over here!)

Cool on picking up a pair of the Z1000s! Looking forward to your impressions. 

Yeah, the X1060 is still going strong. I do notice somewhat shorter battery life as reported, but it's far from terrible still and got me easily through a 14.5 hour flight to Taiwan recently! That's good enough by me still. I think I will most definitely get a Z1070 though, and import it... unless the SQ is reportedly a marked downstep from the X (which I highly doubt it will be). 

Here's how it sits most of the time on a daily basis at work (sorry to go OT), paired with an AMB M^3 w/power supply, and newly picked up modded Fostex T50RP:

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Cool on picking up a pair of the Z1000s! Looking forward to your impressions. 

Yeah, the X1060 is still going strong. I do notice somewhat shorter battery life as reported, but it's far from terrible still and got me easily through a 14.5 hour flight to Taiwan recently! That's good enough by me still. I think I will most definitely get a Z1070 though, and import it... unless the SQ is reportedly a marked downstep from the X (which I highly doubt it will be). 

Here's how it sits most of the time on a daily basis at work (sorry to go OT), paired with an AMB M^3 w/power supply, and newly picked up modded Fostex T50RP:

Will be sure to do that when they arrive and most probably notify you that you told me so about the sound stage and light weight bass! lol

The AMB amp looks almost identical to how my British Naim head amp and power supply was but most probably a fraction of the price for the same components with the AMB! 

\Guess your going to say those Modded Fostex sound as good as the Z1000 for fraction of the price! lol  Look an interesting proposition for a pair of Orthos.

Quote:
Where can you get them as B grade because i might be buying a pair?

The B grade was the only pair left they had but they are currently doing them for £305 new on the site I went to @ amp3 :which is still a very good price for the UK any ways ; )

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
That sounds like a good deal for them, i was going to buy from Germany because of the cheaper price but this is a similar price. Thanks :D

No prob's ; )                        

It's a very good deal for them at the moment. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Will be sure to do that when they arrive and most probably notify you that you told me so about the sound stage and light weight bass! lol

The AMB amp looks almost identical to how my British Naim head amp and power supply was but most probably a fraction of the price for the same components with the AMB! 

\Guess your going to say those Modded Fostex sound as good as the Z1000 for fraction of the price! lol  Look an interesting proposition for a pair of Orthos.

The B grade was the only pair left they had but they are currently doing them for £305 new on the site I went to @ amp3 :which is still a very good price for the UK any ways ; )

Eh, don't worry about the negative things you've read about the Z1000's! You may hear things differently enough to where they're perfect for you! For me, they were very close to keepers, but I had other headphones I wanted to try out.... soooo.....  
wink.gif

The AMB amp is quite good for the money, for sure. I had to wait for a while to find one on the used market, with the power supply and adjustable bass control. It almost makes me wish I could have heard the Z1000's with it. At the time I only had the Arrow. 

The modded T50s are definitely great! I'm working out a small distortion issue with the drivers, but other than that the sound quality is wonderful for the money! I also have a pair of KODA^2's on reserve by a member of trade in Denmark who bases a closed phone off of the T50's, sort of like Smeggy's Thunderpants. Hopefully that one will totally work out for my closed headphone needs. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

Eh, don't worry about the negative things you've read about the Z1000's! You may hear things differently enough to where they're perfect for you! For me, they were very close to keepers, but I had other headphones I wanted to try out.... soooo.....  
wink.gif

The AMB amp is quite good for the money, for sure. I had to wait for a while to find one on the used market, with the power supply and adjustable bass control. It almost makes me wish I could have heard the Z1000's with it. At the time I only had the Arrow. 

The modded T50s are definitely great! I'm working out a small distortion issue with the drivers, but other than that the sound quality is wonderful for the money! I also have a pair of KODA^2's on reserve by a member of trade in Denmark who bases a closed phone off of the T50's, sort of like Smeggy's Thunderpants. Hopefully that one will totally work out for my closed headphone needs. 

I'm sure from what I have read about them and what you have said  I will get on with them just fine.

Do you remember what type of plug connector went to the headphone end by any chance? 

It looks a nice little amo, bass control is a handy feature. I take it the distortion is nothing to do with the amp driving the phones and is a fault of the hp drivers? 
Koda2's,very nice, good quality build from what I have seen from pictures of them, you prefer the Ortho type phones then.

Anyway I am like a big kid wishing a majority of Christmas away now for next Thursday when the courier delivers them! Intrigued to see how they sound direct only with the X1060 even though I will primarily use my ibasso amp with them, just curious nether the less. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back