SONY MDR-XD400 users!
Oct 21, 2005 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

legcramp

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, my xd400's are coming in a few days and I would like your opinions on them.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 6
for the price that they're going for on ebay (~$50 SHIPPED), I think they're a bargain and a steal. I recall liking them more than the A500, but I'm not that sure anymore. Shouldn't be too dissappointed and it's probably one of the only decent headphones stores like Best Buy sell (though I don't recommend giving them any money
biggrin.gif
.)

I did a review on them when they just came out sometime early this year: here

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 6
bump!

Oct 22, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 6
It is the most enjoyable sub $100 headphone I have heard. I wouldn't consider it an audiophile achievment, but for entertainment value, my guess would be that it is hard to beat in its price range - punchy bass, clear sound, exciting upper frequencies. Some may find the midrange is a little dry. Of course I never really enjoyed lush sound so take that for what it is worth.

If one has a limited budget with a taste for more modern music and wishes for a good all arounder, the XD400 would be a easy recommendation.

Be sure to tell us what YOU think!

Oct 23, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 6
I just found this site a couple weeks ago and am about to purchase my first decent pair of headphones. I was looking to spend ~$100, and these were recommended by other HF members, although they are really <$100. I'm planning on buying my pair next week. I was stuck between these and the A500s for awhile, but I'm just scared of those huge CD sized earcups on the A500. I read the XD400 has a very similar sound but smaller cups, so I finally decided to go with those.

I've read all the reviews for these cans on the site and they seem pretty positive overall. I hope they will sound noticeably better than the $20 aiwas I am using now.

I listen mainly to rock and blues, and use them for movies and some occasional FPS gaming.

I will check back to read your review, and might add one of my own. I hope these are worth it!

Maybe after I've had this pair for awhile I will get a better feel for what kind of sound I like, and can go from there to start looking at upgrades that better suit the sound I'm looking for.

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 6
Anyways. got them a few days back... been testing them all this time, all I can say is that they are pretty damn good. I listen to rock/trance mostly and these are wonderful.

The bass is nice and punchy and has great extensions. The treble is nice and clear definetely better than my older portapro's and HD202's. Midrange is very good, not great but very good.

Gaming is great :p soundstage is pretty wide on these, very good for FPS games.

Only MINOR complaint is vocal, could be a bit better, but maybe it's Linkin park's shoddy recordings..

(utada hikaru's vocal is great BTW) anyways.. these are pretty much badass for teh 67 shipped I paid for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back