Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Dec 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #257 of 644
I only know how to access hq bt mode (3 blue blinks by holding pow and vol+). How do I get the bt to normal and stable mode?

Hold volume up for aptx mode, don't press anything for normal mode, and hold volume down for stable mode at the same time as you hit the the power button to turn on the unit.

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #258 of 644
You can check what mode it is in while the unit is powered on. Hit the power button - And while still pressing it - tap the volume up button then release both. The light will blink 1-3 times. Of course, don't hold the power button down too long or it will shut down.

I was under the impression that it stays in its mode, you shouldn't have to set it on each power up.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #259 of 644

That's too bad, they do get less boomy and the mids/highs come out after 100-150hrs but your call. This difference between out of the box and burned-in is substantial

Hi Soundsgoodtome,

I took your recommendation, and have stuck it out. I did notice that everyday I used these they sounded better. I think its mental burn-in as they probably only have around 10 hours on them.

This morning I did some serious head-to-head comparisons between them and my D600. I concluded that I can get the XB950 to be very close to the signature and performance of the D600. 

I actually 'get' the default tuning of the XB950. The treble is recessed as for the majority of listeners, you can now turn up the cans, feel the bass, and hear everything else fairly well. Some EQ and all of sudden, the headphone has more air, decay and is more natural. I also felt it responds quite well to EQ and will probably use them with EQ and non-EQ'd as well as look at doing Bill's mod in the future.

The D600 has been unseated (and put up for sale), even it does edge out the XB950 in some areas (comfort for sure, though the gap in SQ seems to be closing the more I listen), I have enough wired cans and the HD650 for serious home listening. Also, the bass is quite good and probably on the same level as the D600, it just that in Bluetooth it lacks that bit of low-end extension for some serious bass tracks but is still very very good in wireless.

This low cost can has really opened my eyes a bit more,in that Sony has a really good driver in this assembly. It only takes a bit of EQ (and a bit of modding) and this can punches above its weight. Even on its own without any adjustment I think they are fantastic for what they are designed for - extra bass club in your head, EDM/electronic music heavy hitters. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #260 of 644
Found a perfect track for the XB950. Listen as standard or try with a bit of highend EQ and Electro Mode.

I guess Electro Mode is actually good for... electro. Cool.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #261 of 644
Good to hear, try running pink noise at listening levels for 4hrs and see if you can spot any differences. It's the easiest way to burn them in, imo Much more efficient than music but only after some initial play of music. I feel it may be too much right out of the box and stress the drivers to a negative effect.

Also I want to add that after getting the low latency Avantree Bluetooth transmitter, I'm using this a lot for tv and movies!

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #262 of 644
Yeah, the operational mode sticks.

Basically...

Power + Volume Up at start up doesn't "invoke" a mode, what it really does is it cycles to the next "step up". So if you're in "Stable mode", it'll go to "Normal mode" and stay there. If you're in "Normal mode", it'll go to "High Quality mode" and stay there.

Power + Volume Down at start up does just the opposite. If you're already in "High Quality mode", then it'll step down to "Normal mode". And if you're in "Normal mode", it'll go to "Stable mode".

I think Sony's documentation could have been better regarding this. But maybe they meant for the headphone to stay in "Normal mode" after all. I find that "Normal mode" sounds the closest to wired, with the exception of the added latency, which isn't a big deal while listening to music or watching movies.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #263 of 644
Why didn't Sony put this in the manual? Or did i miss it somehow?
Hold volume up for aptx mode, don't press anything for normal mode, and hold volume down for stable mode at the same time as you hit the the power button to turn on the unit.

You can check what mode it is in while the unit is powered on. Hit the power button - And while still pressing it - tap the volume up button then release both. The light will blink 1-3 times. Of course, don't hold the power button down too long or it will shut down.

I was under the impression that it stays in its mode, you shouldn't have to set it on each power up.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #264 of 644
It's like an after-thought mention that I found in the online documentations...

I didn't bother looking at anything provided in the box, but I wouldn't expect it to get any better a treatment than the online documentation.

It seems Sony intended for this headphone to operate solely in "Normal mode" (if people don't know how to cycle through the modes, they wouldn't try), and I can understand why from a sound quality perspective. It is the closest to "wired" after all.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #266 of 644
Stable connection. Supposedly less drop out and better latency. It sounds practically like wired mode, but with audible distortions because either error correction is turned off, or working over time to compensate for lost information, so things sound... "off". The general idea is still there, but imagine... listening to 64kbps MP3. It's kinda like that.

Either way, though, I'm still very happy with my XB950BT. After mods, it really is just a bit behind my HE-560 in terms of soundstaging, but all else are about equal.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #267 of 644
So, which albums do you guys enjoy with your 950 that sounds fantastic?

I'm currently enjoying some Sinatra and Bassie.

Also, this album sounds great as is but it's one I can boost the bass and still be able to hear the highs and mids very well. Nigel Stanford's - Solar Echoes

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #268 of 644
So, which albums do you guys enjoy with your 950 that sounds fantastic?

I'm currently enjoying some Sinatra and Bassie.

Also, this album sounds great as is but it's one I can boost the bass and still be able to hear the highs and mids very well. Nigel Stanford's - Solar Echoes

Well, I'm continually more and more impressed by this headphone. While they can't keep up to the texture, and retrieval of my hd-650, these are damn good for a pair of BTs.

Here is a mix that I was listening to own my HD650s that was staggering on them. Switched over to the XB950s and yes, it's like listening to another bit rate altogether, :) I know it's a comparison nonetheless.

Just a little too resonant, which I think would becoming a bit fatiguing, where the 650s are just effortless yet have incredible weight. That said the 950s will still come though on the low end for this mix and feel free to enable the bass boost.

This is a bit of deep listen and challenging one on the ambient front, but full of sonic range and depth.

Electric Deluxe Podcast Boris 130 by boris

http://soundcloud.com/boris/electric-deluxe-podcast-130

Download the podcast on iTunes for a 320.

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #269 of 644
So I'm guessing the sony mdr1r bt mk2, controls for sound high quality is the same, kind of a pain...

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #270 of 644
By the way... People that want to change cable here is what i did!!!! This is only if you own any other headphones with detachable cables or extra cables laying around!! Very simple... You know the tip of the sony cable is recessed? Well, all you do is take knife and shave a little plastic off a presto you have a sick new cable for your sonys plus still work with others. I used one of the cables that came with vmada m80s. Also i must add bettter cables enhance the sound especially oxygen free cables!! Hope this helps cuz its free n easy!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back