SONY MDR-XB40EX REVIEW: BAD BASS EARPHONES
Jun 1, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 20
  Surprisingly enough both music players were around in 2010. My comments were to add perspective to a review that panned the product, albeit it late. This review comes up first in searches ....

I didn't mean to sound like I was ragging on you, sorry. I was more surprised that Neutron and PowerAmp were a thing then, as the mobile audio market has definitely changed since 2009/2010. Who am I to pan someone for providing insight on an older product? I was glad to see the thread pop up, because I have the XB50, which I think is the precursor to the XB40...maybe?

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #19 of 20
  They actually added the XB70 at the same time, which provides better sound quality all around and a metal housing (vs. plastic). They look very similar to each other. You can see them here (they are ugly but have some serious presence :D)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/708291/new-sony-xb50-xb70

You know, I've been on quite a headphone journey since I originally bought these phones many, many years ago.  I have had some renowned fantastic ones, but surprisingly, these still get put in my ears when I'm wanting a heavy bass sound for fun.  I have compared these to other versions of XB's and my CKS1000-LTD's, and I actually tend to prefer them!  These are no FA-4E-XB's, but a superb value, IMO.

May 18, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #20 of 20
So, I have these 40XB's.  I also have the 90XBs and the CKS1000.  I like to have a bass-heavy phone just for pure fun.  These are the best out of the three after thorough A-B'ing on my part.  The bass doesn't kill everything else in the range, and you can clearly hear everything else.  I even will go back to them sometimes, despite having PFE232, FA-4E-XB, FX850's, and soon to have Heaven VIII and Legend Omega.  These were a great buy, in fact, and now look to be extremely difficult to get your hands on; perhaps because, like me, people aren't willing to part with them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back