Sony MDR-V6
Nov 29, 2007 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

_Spanky_

500+ Head-Fier
I have a couple general questions about them so I figured this was the right category. I am wanting to get some V6's pretty soon but I would like to hear a couple people's opinions about them. I am sort of a bass head and I like nice deep bass but I want clarity in all tones as well. I am a big fan of sony and I am currently using the G57 street style headphones and they are pretty good but I want an upgrade.

Also I have a iPod 4G Photo with Rockbox installed on it. I have read that the quality of sound that comes out of iPods isn't great. How can I improve it with equalizer settings? Does anyone happen to have equalizer settings for V6's? I am really a noob when it comes to equalizer settings, I just mess around until they sound decent without a real clue what I am doing.

*EDIT*
Also any input on what other headphones I should look at for the price range would be awesome. I really like sony but I am open to ideas since these will be a pretty decent purchase in my audio.

I just need some general help with getting the most out of my iPod and V6's sound-wise and I figured this is the place to come. Thanks in advance for your help.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 109
I don't think you can go wrong with the V6's, they are among the best headphones you can buy for less than 100 bucks.

The quality of the sound coming out of your ipod is only as good as the files you put in it. Encode your MP3's well and it should sound fine. The Ipod's headphone amp isn't the greatest, so you might want to consider a different source for non-portable situations or consider a line-out adapter with portable amp setup. That will cost you about another hundred though.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 109
With my ipod video rockboxed I do have a specific settings as regard EQ. I mostly add or remove the Bass over the 0db setting. I also enabled Crossfeed and use the default.cfg in "Browse EQ Presets".

Or I use a Line-Out Dock (lod) and plug into an headphone amp. This bypass the volume of the ipod and for many this is the way to listen with an ipod.

In the For Sale ,FS section you can find one starting at $50 and the same for an headphone amp.

enjoy...

regards,

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 109
A current FOTM closed phone in that price range would be the Equation audio RP-21. From Skylab's review here
they seem to be a fairly bass-oriented headphone. And, at least on amazon, they are around the same price as the V6's are retail (I'm not sure what the V6's are online).

Hope that helps.

Nylan

Nov 29, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 109
I want to get the MDR-V6 with the BeyerDynamic 250 Pads. I try to get mp3's that are 320kbps and even sometimes I convert flac into 320kbps mp3's using the lame encoder. I assume I am doing good? Maybe down the road I will put a bit of money into the ipod itself and do the line-out thing. I just don't see the need to have an external amp now. Thanks for everyones help.

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 109
Does anyone know of another place other than B&H Photo Video to buy the Beyerdynamic Velour Padded Earcushions? I haven't found a place other than them yet. And of course, right when I go to buy they are out of stock.

OK. I have a couple options and I haven't decided on what to get exactly.

Headphones:
Sony MDRV6
or
Sony MDR-7506

Pads:
Garfield
or
Beyerdynamic
(out of stock, unless I can find them somewhere else)

Which combo would be good? I kind of like the styling on the 7506 and the fact that it has a gold plated plug. But I'm not sure if they are worth the $30 more. Anyone used these before? I think I'm more concerned about the pads since whatever headphone I choose I will get a good pair.

*EDIT*
I just saw that the V6's have a wider frequency range. Is this true? Does that make the V6 better?

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understood the Sony MDR 7506 "evolved" from the V6.

Sony swears that the 7506 is an MDR-V6 with a threaded 1/4" adapter on the end of the cable and different printing on the backs of the earcups.

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Spanky- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be getting an extra $100. Would the Sony MDR-7509HD be something to spring for?

It depends what you are looking for.

The 7509 I bought were in the purpose of listening to some lectures. Right now I throw any kind of music at them and I love it. They respond very well, are VERY detailled, they reproduce the music as it is given to them. Any type.

I would say that they are very adapted to analytical listening, discerning the subtilities and small tweaking the music contains. Also , for me, they have this huge soundstage on each side of my head: it's like this space is created where the music flows.

they are very clear, the sound is not muffled or congested.

they are also confortable, they do not squeeze my ears and are not warm.

Their built is very sturdy too.

The only con I have is with the cable. It's a coil and it is heavy.It sometimes tangles itself. I try to be carefull not to dammage my player's headphone jack.
Also the plug is straight, and I suppose best suited for the coiled cable.

regards,

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Spanky- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want excellent reproduction. I will be using these with my RockBox'd iPod and with my Home Computer for playing games and listening to music while working. I want clear and comfortable sound.

you know what you want! This is good! What have you decided?

regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back