Sony MDR-V6 vs Shure SRH440 vs Shure SRH550DJ vs Pioneer HDJ-500
Jun 26, 2013 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Thunderfoxx

New Head-Fier
I'm a music producer and DJ on a $100 budget. I've done some SERIOUSLY intense research on some good headphones for this purpose, and I found these 4. I need to know which one has the better sound, better build, and better aesthetics.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:
I'm a music producer and DJ on a $100 budget. I've done some SERIOUSLY intense research on some good headphones for this purpose, and I found these 4. I need to know which one has the better sound, better build, and better aesthetics.

I own the Sony MDR-V6, bought is used ($48) and added Beyerdynamic EDT 200/250 Velour ear pads ($23).
So they are fairly comfortable, decent amount of bass, I used them as portables.
I ended up switching to the JVC HA-S500-Z, the JVC's were lighter and had a straight cable.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
Do you think the Sony's are durable? I have done research and a lot of people had different opinions of the build quality.

I think the V6 is a decent build, I think there is only so much they can do to build a folding & sturdy headphone, in this price range (and keep the weight down).

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 22
If you are thinking about using them during active DJing I would suggest you to extend your budget a little and buy a SRH750DJ. SRH550DJ is also pretty good and easy to use during performance. The biggest advntage of SRH750DJ would be the detachable cable. If you are having live performances a detachable cable prooves useful in time.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 22
Unfortunately it does if you are using it without proper amplification. People who complain about distortion probably used it with a simple source like an iPod. In my experience I didn't feel any distortion when I used them though FiiO E07K but there was some distortion when directly connected to iPhone. Still I would suggest you 750DJ if you want to use it during performance.

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
Do you think the Sony's are durable? I have done research and a lot of people had different opinions of the build quality.

My Sony V6 was 25 years old and still working fine when I gave it away(I have a second newer one which I kept. I don't need two of them). The earpads did need to be replaced though. I bought the second one over 10 years ago as a spare for when the first one broke. There are many others who are still using a Sony V6 that is at least 20 years old.

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 22
Imo the Sony V6 is not harsh at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back