Sony MDR-V6... for.. digital! !@#$%^@#$
Jul 31, 2006 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

GirgleMirt

500+ Head-Fier
Damnit, I just bought a pair of Sony MDR-V6, I open the box and right on the headphones is written, with a red background, for DIGITAL. We all know that analog > digital, so of course, these went back directly in the box, I'm not some kiddy who wants to impress others with headphones with a for DIGITAL printed in red for all to see...

Now I have nothing against headphones for DIGITAL, but I want headphones for ANALOG. What others headphones are there for ANALOG?

tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 24
I am sorry but I am a little new. What is the difference between headphone for digital and headphone for analog? I use regular music CDs, that is digital right (What do you use? Records?)?

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldo_Lopez
I am sorry but I am a little new. What is the difference between headphone for digital and headphone for analog? I use regular music CDs, that is digital right (What do you use? Records?)?

As far as I know, there are only a few headphones that actually include a DAC and take a digital signal directly... Audio Technica's got one...

ATH D1000

But that thing isn't any different. They put "For Digital" on it for marketing reasons.

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 24
its just a sticker....

I took that sticker off my V6 and it improved their spectral balance TEN FOLD!! In fact, looking back at all my mods this was by far the most dramatic one to date, and well worth the effort. IMHO this is what makes the k1000, RS1 and K701 such superb headphones.

Garrett

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
its just a sticker....

I took that sticker off my V6 and it improved their spectral balance TEN FOLD!! In fact, looking back at all my mods this was by far the most dramatic one to date, and well worth the effort. IMHO this is what makes the k1000, RS1 and K701 such superb headphones.

Garrett

Really? I stole that sticker from the floor model in Guitar Center and put it on my GS1000... I really thought things improved significantly.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117
Whatever you do, do not use a sticker called "Placebo."

That's a silly name for a sticker.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
As far as I know, there are only a few headphones that actually include a DAC and take a digital signal directly... Audio Technica's got one...

ATH D1000

But that thing isn't any different. They put "For Digital" on it for marketing reasons.

But a DAC converts digital to analog. No headphone takes and plays a digital signal, or any speaker. It is always converted to analog. So really, even the D1000 is not "digital". And I bet the DAC in that headphone is pretty crappy.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 24
Ok ok... let me rephrase. MOST headphones and speakers do not actually play a digital signal.

I have not actually heard a PWM signal being played back, how does it sound?

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
But a DAC converts digital to analog. No headphone takes and plays a digital signal, or any speaker. It is always converted to analog. So really, even the D1000 is not "digital". And I bet the DAC in that headphone is pretty crappy.

Well sure, we only hear analog, not digital... uh, I don't think I was disputing that.

But the D1000 takes a digital signal, and therefore would better suit the sticker "For Digital" don't you think?

Jul 31, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
And I bet the DAC in that headphone is pretty crappy.

I dunno, the description on Audiocubes calls it "high quality."
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
its just a sticker....

Well, I removed the sticker, and now that they're not headphones for Digital, not only do they look much better, but I must say that they also look better without it! And now that they're not for digital anymore, I've decided to keep them.

Anyhow, I 'll mostly use them with a computer as source, but if one day I want to use an analog source, then I guess I'll have to use my Grados, since the Sonys are for Digital.

I just don't see the point in making headphones for digital..

Jul 31, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

We all know that analog > digital

We do? I certainly don't.

wink.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #15 of 24
Is this guy for real or is this a joke? I thought everyone knew the "for digital" sticker was marketing. I'm not sure if he's just messing around or being serious since he said removing the sticker nolonger made it for digital...
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back