Sony MDR-V150 mods
Jan 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

timmyGCSE

500+ Head-Fier
last year I reluctantly bought some Sony MDR-V150's:
1263987503.jpg

this is because I had a £15 store credit for HMV and I really wasn't interested in buying much else so just bought the 150's as a meh might as well.

Bass is bloaty and barely gets down low, mids are extremely muffled..like..p** poor, some of the most undetailed mids I've ever heard. Treble is the only redeeming feature of the sound signature which is quite crisp and natural and extends nicely. Soundstage average, nothing to write home about but no worse then your average sr60.
Comfort wise they are fairly comfortable, a bit clampy, pleather pads offer good isolation but make your ears all hot and stuff.

but I just use them plugged into my work PC and they do the job alright (drown out my work collegues) but after months of owning them I thought lets butcher them.
[size=xx-small]sorry for poor image quality[/size]

Reverse pad mod:

1263987549.jpg

simply done, take off the pads gently by tugging at the edges, and turn them inside out then put them back on. And waddya know? the inside is leather! Extra comfort ensues, and because the profile of the pads has changed a slight change for the better in soundstage. Also the picture doesn't really convey this but it makes them look vintage badass! downside is it reduces isolation..not badly, the mod gives enough extra comfort for this to be a non issue.
Whilst I don't own a pair, merely used some for a couple of days, I assume this mod will also work just as sucessfully for MDR-V300's which use the same pleather pads and probably the V250's whilst we're at it.

Felt mod:

1263988131.jpg

ah the old remove the felt remove the veil chesnut. Why do these manufacturers continue to put such thick felt over the drivers and ruining the sound? And boy did Sony go to town with the felt - its thick. Carefully just peeled it off and put the pads back on.
...the immediate noticible change is the mids! the once extremely undetailed mids are a bit forward and much more detailed, not RX700 detailed but much much better than previous. Bass now punches and quite flippin hard too, still the extension lacks but its a much more acceptable bass now. Treble is even more sparkly, natural and detailed..the treble on these cans is really quite good. I haven't listened to my PortaPro's properly in a very long time but certainly the treble is much better on these. I'd have to A/B them for any further comparisons. Soundstage is still average but a bit noticibly better, seperation is better too. Highly recommend this mod.

Haven't burned these in really, only had bout 20 hours usage if that but I'm taking them home tonight and will cook them for 100 hours or so

edit: I've just realised the bass extension on these cans SUCKS big time haha! no amount of modding will cure that. But still, much better punch to it now
wink.gif

EDIT2: disclaimer! I'm not saying oo these are not teh bestest cans in the world with mods you must go buy them and mod them they're better than your avergage Grado, AT's and Sennheisers. They're still not all that and I would recommend other cans over them but if you already have them, do these mods for a much improved sound

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 12
IMO, These are still some of the worst headphones next to skullcandy (even with this mod). But at least, this way, you get a really nice vintage look to 'em. Hehe, nice job
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 12
Wow it worked..
The bass is great now. Its not super amazing, but its a lot better than completely trashing these..they dont sound amazing, but they do what they're supposed to.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 12
oh well, i have these around somewhere, i havent listened to them for long...

imo best mod is the "give them away" mod or the less common "garbage can" mod, but if you are thinking about buying them, start by the infamous "Dont do it" mod.

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 12
Did the mod, honestly I think they sound on par with the HD202 or the ATH-m30s (I've owned both)

seeing as how you can get 'em online for $12 and this is a <10 minute mod, I think these sound pretty good, not to mention super easy to drive

After trying this out I tell everyone that if its not 100$ don't buy it, just get these and mod em

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 12
I tried these out a while back, and honestly, I think the difference is minimal... They're still pretty muddy and boomy and stuff after the mod. A little clearer maybe, but nothing to write home about...

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 12
Might have to try this out.  I picked up a pair last week from best buy for 9 bucks.  Sometimes I need a portable beater can, and these should fit the bill.  They sound like you'd expect a 9 dollar headphone to sound.  Perhaps this mod will help a bit. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Might have to try this out.  I picked up a pair last week from best buy for 9 bucks.  Sometimes I need a portable beater can, and these should fit the bill.  They sound like you'd expect a 9 dollar headphone to sound.  Perhaps this mod will help a bit. 

i dont know you, but after getting the KSC75 for 9$ at amazon, that is how i expect 9$ to sound and the v150 falls very short 

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 12
I did both mods, and now my headphones sound about 10% better! Thanks! They're still crap, tho, lol.

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 12
Another vote for the garbage can mod.

Stike one: Sounding like the $2 headphones you get from Virgin America.
Strike two: Most uncomfortable headband I've ever come across. It's a torture device.
Stike three: Extremely long cord for a portable (Yes they are "studio" monitors, but you think you'd ever find these in a real studio?)

The funny thing is that these are #3 best selling for searching "headphones" on amazon. If you want to die a little inside, read the positive reviews. The first one should have you in tears.

Quote:
oh well, i have these around somewhere, i havent listened to them for long...

imo best mod is the "give them away" mod or the less common "garbage can" mod, but if you are thinking about buying them, start by the infamous "Dont do it" mod.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 12

I think the 9 dollar KSC75 is the exception not the norm for sound in this price range.   I like mine more than most of my headphones in the 50 to 70 dollar price range.  The KSC75 should become the PortaPro of clip ons.  Meaning, don't ever stop making it.  It's a very good value.
Quote:
i dont know you, but after getting the KSC75 for 9$ at amazon, that is how i expect 9$ to sound and the v150 falls very short 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back