Sony MDR-SA5000 vs. AKG K 701/702
Jun 27, 2010 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

PointyFox

Headphoneus Supremus
I have listened to the Sony MDR-SA5000s, and like them less than my Triports.  They seem to have a very small soundstage  and have no bass.  I've been looking into an upgrade for my Triports, but based on the MDR-SA5000's 5 star reviews, I'm not sure if I can really get much of an upgrade without spending $1000+.  Similarly, Grados sound a lot like my Triports, and I wouldn't consider the lower end ones an upgrade.  I've been looking into AKG K 701/702, and favor accurate, clear sound, with a large soundstage, and good bass.  I currently use an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card.  Since a lot of people know how the MDR-SA5000s sound, unlike the Triports which to other people sound like dying from ebola(?),  I was wondering how the AKG K 701/702 compares to the MDR-SA5000?

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 60
You should get proper amplification before passing final judgment on the SA5000's, doubly so about the K70x. That said, i'm very fond of both HP's, they both reproduce music with an airy and effortless style, the K70x has more accurate and natural timbre but mroe clinical IMO, the SA5000 feels even more effortless but less transperant dur to a more "icy" presentation, which in turn gives the impression of the best clarity i've exprienced, of any phones. Bass has a bit more weight on the K70x but the there's more depth and slamming done in the SA5K IME. You should hear them again thru a good amp.  

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 60
IIRC Triports are warm and SA5K's are bright, but SA5K's soundstage shouldn't be small... hmm.... There's quite a few good $200 desktop amps these days, I'll be a worthwhile buy if you want K701's anyways, K701 doesn't have a big soundstage or much of anything else for that matter without a good amp... 

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 60
Most (mainstream) people have a tendency to like a lot of bass and treble. This becomes apparent when you use a sa-5000 or any other proper head phone. They will not be as bass oriented. The sa-5000 tends to be very very neutral on bass.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 60
I was at an audio store when I tried out the MDR-SA5000s, don't remember the equipment that was used but I was told it was really good.  The soundcard has a good quality headphone amp.

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 60
If you're happy with your Triports, then just stay with them. If you like Bose, then it's probable that you won't like cans like the K701 or Sa5000 because they are said to be more analytical. If the Bose are indeed warm sounding headphones, then perhaps you'd like one of the Audio Technicas more. Maybe the AD 900 or ESW9a?

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 60
For one, I wonder if the OP understands or knows what soundstage is?  Though I have not heard the SA5K, but it's been repeated so many times that if anything, it's soundstage that these headphones have in large quantities.  

But yeah unless someone likes a flat sounding headphone, I don't think choosing a well regarded studio headphone is the right choice, K702.

With Triports, they have muddy bass which seems to cloud the rest of the sounds.  Hmm hard to decide what to recommend if someone likes that.

But I do own the AD900 and I like the soundstage, but it's artificial since it is in a headphone.  But the headphones have a nice airy sound to them.  The bass is not emphasized by I think that have impact and well defined.  

Also I am among those so far, the AD900 is the most enjoyable, fun headphones I've owned.  It is the headphone whenever I listen to, I think, I don't care about HD800 anymore, this is awesome.

Jun 27, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 60
Not only should you dump the Triports, you should never tell anyone that you ever owned them.
wink.gif

I voted for the beyer DT800/600s FWIW. My next choice would be the K701/2 or HD650/600.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 60

Quote:
I voted for the beyer DT800/600s FWIW. My next choice would be the K701/2 or HD650/600.

Don't think the soundcard will do the DT880s justice.

Yeah, I heard the SA5000 and their soundstage was pretty large...

Maybe your fit was wrong. That plays a pretty big part. Especially soundstage.

Triports have an angled (right?) driver though to simulate a large soundstage.

Maybe D2000s? I'm guessing you want bass.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 60

Quote:
Don't think the soundcard will do the DT880s justice.

Yeah, I heard the SA5000 and their soundstage was pretty large...

Maybe your fit was wrong. That plays a pretty big part. Especially soundstage.

Triports have an angled (right?) driver though to simulate a large soundstage.

Maybe D2000s? I'm guessing you want bass.

I wouldn't worry about the source/amp. Why get a headphone that you will only have to upgrade later? The DT880/600s are only slightly more difficult to drive than the DT880/250, or HD600s. IMO the K701/2 are quite a bit more difficult to drive properly.

Down the road, the OP could always upgrade his amp and dac.
devil_face.gif

If the OP never plans on getting on amp, them I guess the D2000s or DT880/32, or Grado SR225i.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 60
Jun 27, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 60
I've seen many posts where the AKG 701 is driven successfully with the Asus Xonar Essence STX, like here: http://vault.aaronortbals.com:8000/aaronortbals/?p=1 .  No, I don't have them just because they say "Bose".  An audiophile friend of mine tried out my triports and said he liked them because they sounded like his Stax electrostatics. Also these headphones are almost impossible to find in stores, maybe there's a reason for that?

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 60

Quote:
An audiophile friend of mine tried out my triports and said he liked them because they sounded like his Stax electrostatics. Also these headphones are almost impossible to find in stores, maybe there's a reason for that?

...your friend is insane.
confused_face_2.gif

And what headphones?

Oh, and for the link, anything will drive them, just a matter of driving them well.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 60

Quote:
I've seen many posts where the AKG 701 is driven successfully with the Asus Xonar Essence STX, like here: http://vault.aaronortbals.com:8000/aaronortbals/?p=1 .  No, I don't have them just because they say "Bose".  An audiophile friend of mine tried out my triports and said he liked them because they sounded like his Stax electrostatics. Also these headphones are almost impossible to find in stores, maybe there's a reason for that?

I don't even know where to begin...

How about: BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment

The AKG's need more than an Asus STX to get to more than 60% of their capability.

You have much to learn young Padawan...but lucky for you, you've come to the right place. Welcome to Head-fi and my apologies to your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 60
Anything considered "high-end".  I've only found the MDR-SA5000s and a bunch of Grados.  I'm in NJ btw.  I'd like to try headphones before I buy them. It's like having to buy a car based on pictures alone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back