Sony MDR R10 - some TLC and a recable for an old set
May 3, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

yes a bass heavy pair, but that was about 5+ years ago now!

Seems quite a few of these are failing now, very delicate headphones really. ive heard a few horror stories in PM lately.

Might be the case that in 5 years time there will only be a couple of hundred of these headsets still in good working condition.

May 3, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:
Thanks jesse. I can maybe send them back over in a while and let you hear them if you want.

That's quite generous of you. I'm afraid my gear isn't yet up to a balanced pair of R10s, nor is my constitution up to having a delicate, $7,000 pair of rejuvenated R10s under my care. But maybe someday I'll be on your side of the pond and I can look you up to hear them on your gear. In the meanwhile, I'll look forward to hearing them vicariously, so let us know how they sound once you get them back.

May 3, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:
That's quite generous of you. I'm afraid my gear isn't yet up to a balanced pair of R10s, nor is my constitution up to having a delicate, $7,000 pair of rejuvenated R10s under my care. But maybe someday I'll be on your side of the pond and I can look you up to hear them on your gear. In the meanwhile, I'll look forward to hearing them vicariously, so let us know how they sound once you get them back.

If you are ever in the UK drop me a message and we can certainly meet up.

Thanks for the mint HP2 by the way, you look after your headphones :)

May 3, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #22 of 56
Very nice pic, and nice job done by Frank! I really miss by bass heavy R10 sometimes. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem like a good choice for someone with young kids in the house.... I was too nervous. Maybe in 10 years or so when the kids are older and more responsible, I will track down one of the few remaining sets.

Or maybe by then Sony will have a proper replacement on the market. We can dream right?

May 3, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #23 of 56
I think its more a reflection on how these huge corporations operate now. They arent willing to generate a small loss to create something exceptional for a small, high end audience. I remember a time when companies were challenging each other simply for pride of creation. They worried about the finances later.

We need to rely on the small guys like audeze and hifi man who arent all about fitting into the tunnel mentality of a multi national corporation.

I also feel the market has changed, for the 'disposable digital age', people who want something decent at the lowest possible price.

That said, and playing devils advocate.... there certainly seems enough interest to create a limited edition run again of a similar headset. Even at 5k a piece they would sell. Im just not sure Sony really care anymore.

Sony today arent the sony i remember, who used to be pioneers in many sectors.

May 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #24 of 56
Quote:
I think its more a reflection on how these huge corporations operate now. They arent willing to generate a small loss to create something exceptional for a small, high end audience. I remember a time when companies were challenging each other simply for pride of creation. They worried about the finances later.
We need to rely on the small guys like audeze and hifi man who arent all about fitting into the tunnel mentality of a multi national corporation.
I also feel the market has changed, for the 'disposable digital age', people who want something decent at the lowest possible price.
That said, and playing devils advocate.... there certainly seems enough interest to create a limited edition run again of a similar headset. Even at 5k a piece they would sell. Im just not sure Sony really care anymore.
Sony today arent the sony i remember, who used to be pioneers in many sectors.

This is very true. Companys don't want to sell products that last 10+ years, they just want to create a fast selling "x" that can be resold to the same people again next year when it has the new "x" feature. Example : beats.

May 4, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #25 of 56
This older set of R10's are coming along nicely now. Frank has finished the cable, and put carbon fibre plugs on them with high grade silver pins, with a matching carbon fibre y splitter. I think they look great, and I can't wait to hear them again at the end of next week. They sounded awesome single ended so im hoping balanced opens the soundstage a little further.

ill post a few pictures Frank (Kabelmeister) of Toxic Cables sent me a short while ago. I notice the little jewels on them too, nice touch and very pretty!

I will get the pads replaced with ones I got with this set http://www.head-fi.org/t/608633/sony-mdr-r10-number-0808-mint-and-boxed-arrived-today and replace the foam also.

After this last stage, they should sound as good as new (or even better?).

May 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #28 of 56
Quote:
Zardon,  did you find the original foam ring that will replace the disintegrated stuff?  I could not find them anywhere.  My old pair looked the same when I opened them up, and I had to clean them as well.

I did think about leaving the disintegrated stuff alone but it was coming off and getting everywhere, i had to cover the drivers with cling film to make sure none got in there, really messy sticky stuff.

May 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #29 of 56
I opened up another pair recently and took out a driver to see if I could find any issues in the wiring, none unfortunately.  Taking out the driver was not as hard as I have read, but it was certainly hairy.  I used a heat gun to loosen the driver and covered the top of the driver with cardboard so as not to heat it too much.  Came out fine after that.  I can see how one could rip the coil by jamming a screwdriver underneath the driver to get it out.  The point designated to get the driver out is near the wires, not a great design.

The foam was really sticky and crumbly but I tried to keep it intact, since I have no replacement.  I need to find something else suitable.

May 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #30 of 56
I was a little worried also after all the horror stories i had read also. When i took them apart it was actually quite easy. I had a bit of the black felt that is under the driver glued to the 2 wires, so if i had pulled the driver out then those would have ripped. I was quite fortunate to have spotted that as i was prying the driver out slowly, looking through the tiny gap while doing so, to make sure the felt was not glued to any part of the driver. Good thing i did otherwise all these would be good for now is a paper weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back