Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Mar 25, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #691 of 1,173
I don't care much for the Z1R but the HD800 properly driven is quite a great headphones. I will take it over the L3000 for sound quality. Nothing is as luxuriously crafted as the L3000 however.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #692 of 1,173
Your response lacks any kind of rational explanation and sounds like hype train to me.

Please can you explain what you mean?

Now previously mentioned the build quality is stellar- I get that. The bio cellulose drivers are excellent, I get that too, an explanation of the sound is far more helpful in these explanations.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #693 of 1,173
I don't care much for the Z1R but the HD800 properly driven is quite a great headphones. I will take it over the L3000 for sound quality. Nothing is as luxuriously crafted as the L3000 however.

L3000 with that leather moist feeling... :innocent:

I do think in my opinion if Senny ever discontinue the HD800. it will surly be held as a legendary headphone down the road. Senny did soo much right with the HD800 with a few minor issues thats all.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #694 of 1,173
Your response lacks any kind of rational explanation and sounds like hype train to me.

Please can you explain what you mean?

Now previously mentioned the build quality is stellar- I get that. The bio cellulose drivers are excellent, I get that too, an explanation of the sound is far more helpful in these explanations.

Explain ? you what an explanation on why the Sony MDR R10 is pretty much the greatest screw*ing Headphone ever created? Really and also seriously ? ! Have you never ever even research it? You did mention never hearing it. But come'on. Read up on the best of the best at least !

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #696 of 1,173
What would be great is if current owners could make na few comparisons with other currently available headphones.

I seem to remember back when the LCD 2 came out one owner said it was nearly as good as the R10. I think Skylab might have said to his tast the LCD3 was slightly better in some ways.

Flagships nowadays are far more common, than back in even 2009 when HD800 were released.

So that kind of information is far more interesting and useful to those of us who have never heard the R10.

Saying it’s a legend is just repeating what others have said - and you sound like your either emotionally attached to your headphones (fair enough) or more lightly you’re planning to sell a pair for some ridiculously inflated price - considering the drivers might perish due to age in the near future.

Jul 16, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #700 of 1,173
I Tabness thank you for your response- this was for me interesting and useful than some of the previous comments that failed to compare the sound signature. It’s a pity Sony haven’t considered re-launching the R10 drivers in a different housing. Sony has done considerable research into biocelulose drivers in the 1980s. Some of their upper echelons of speaker design have been Japan only speakers (SS-GR1 & SS-G777E and SS-A5 all use biocellulose tweeters). Fostex (TH900) and Pioneer (SEM5) amongst other Japanese companies have current production headphones with bio cellulose drivers, so it’s strange Sony haven’t returned to this material. My own considerable experience with TH900 (owned since 2012) has left me with the following thought on their drivers. Despite other flaws (v-shape signature, slightly hot treble) their drivers are extremely musical and I have had some emotional “peeks” with music I’m familiar with. I’m not sure why, but in terms of connecting me with certain songs (whipping post by the Allman Brothers - amazing IMO with TH900) these drivers have something special about them. I’ve listened to the same song with HD800, SEM1, AKG712, Z1R, Z7R, and none of those headphones have connected me in the same way to that particular song. I’m talking about feeling the raw emotion behind the song, the guitar rifts are well known as being epic. Having said that I’m not suggesting the R10 & TH900 are similar in sound signature - having never heard the R10.

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #701 of 1,173
I Tabness thank you for your response- this was for me interesting and useful than some of the previous comments that failed to compare the sound signature. It’s a pity Sony haven’t considered re-launching the R10 drivers in a different housing. Sony has done considerable research into biocelulose drivers in the 1980s. Some of their upper echelons of speaker design have been Japan only speakers (SS-GR1 & SS-G777E and SS-A5 all use biocellulose tweeters). Fostex (TH900) and Pioneer (SEM5) amongst other Japanese companies have current production headphones with bio cellulose drivers, so it’s strange Sony haven’t returned to this material. My own considerable experience with TH900 (owned since 2012) has left me with the following thought on their drivers. Despite other flaws (v-shape signature, slightly hot treble) their drivers are extremely musical and I have had some emotional “peeks” with music I’m familiar with. I’m not sure why, but in terms of connecting me with certain songs (whipping post by the Allman Brothers - amazing IMO with TH900) these drivers have something special about them. I’ve listened to the same song with HD800, SEM1, AKG712, Z1R, Z7R, and none of those headphones have connected me in the same way to that particular song. I’m talking about feeling the raw emotion behind the song, the guitar rifts are well known as being epic. Having said that I’m not suggesting the R10 & TH900 are similar in sound signature - having never heard the R10.

I definitely agree. The realness and naturalness of vocals on the R10 is uncanny. It feels like the person is right there with you.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #702 of 1,173
I am listening to my bass heavy R10s I bought used on my birthday in 2002 that where 6 months old at the time,I haven't really used them the last few years.
I have a large collection of phones,I owned the original hev/he90 combo for years while I had the R10 ,hev90 setup & kept the R10s.
The one thing that the R10s have is the ability once you start listening you completely forget about the system & you are drawn into the music & stop doing anything else you are doing
They just draw you into the music,never fails.
They are easy to drive,but excel with better equipment.Newer phones may be better technically ,but none have the musicality of the R10s
My previous amp that paired with the R10s was my modified Cary 300 Sei with WE300 tubes great combo But the amp is on the sidelines with some issues.
Right now my system driving them is The Eddie Current Studio with the Highfedility headphone module,fed from a Emmlabs CSD transport feeding a lampozator gen 4 Big 7

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #703 of 1,173
Any of the R10 owners have experience with the Focal Utopia headphones? Any similarities? I do understand that the R10 use biocellulose vs beryllium. I am currently using the Utopias which have a very addictive balanced sound. I also own the excellent Yamaha NS-2000 speakers which also use beryllium tweeters & mids and I know just how good they sound.

I know the Utopias are open & R10 closed just wondering...

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #704 of 1,173
Tom,

You may want to contact Doug of ECP Audio and buy either the ECP L3 or T5 for your R10. I had the SDS-XLR in the past and the ECP L3 equaled it and much more reliable. I love my ECP L3....such a great great amp.

@mrtim6,

The Utopia is nothing like the R10. Its an amazing headphoens interm of impact, sense of dynamic, and resolution; however, its rather smallish soundstage really did me in at the end. The R10 is just as detailed and have such wonderful soundstage. Just about as wide as the HD800 but has better sense of decay and depth. The issue with my R10 and most R10 are the bass impact...so it can't quite rock out as other headphones, still with the right genre, the R10 is so difficult to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back