Sony MDR MA300 compared to other similar Headphones
Nov 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jorjdboss

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some cheap all round headphones and came across the Sony MDR MA300. They cost Rupees 1,300 in India, which is about $25 which is really cheap. I couldn't find a proper review anywhere online. I've read that open back headphones sound more natural and airy. Also I'm not in a loud environment and leakage of sound is not a big deal either. I also came across the MDR MA100 but it had a slightly smaller frequency range.

I currently own a pair of Panasonic RP-HTF600 and the right side driver got deformed causing uneven frequency response between the two sides. Also the panny's were a little too airtight which makes them uncomfortable for long periods causing my ears to get warm.

I'm mainly looking for clarity in music, a brighter warmer sound and moderate bass as I don't listen to bass heavy genres such as Hip-Hop or Club music. I listen to a lot of Classical, Classic Rock, Jazz and some more instrumental music. I'll also be using it while playing guitar and gaming. I won't be watching movies on them anyway.

I want to know if these headphones are value for money or do you have another suggestion within the price range of $25.

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I have heard that the bass is a bit bloated with them and that they don't really sound that open at all.  I have never actually heard them myself though.  I'm not sure if you're gonna find any other open headphones in that price range though, at least none that are any good.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I have heard that the bass is a bit bloated with them and that they don't really sound that open at all.  I have never actually heard them myself though.  I'm not sure if you're gonna find any other open headphones in that price range though, at least none that are any good.

Can you suggest me some alternatives? I also found HD201s for the same price.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Can you suggest me some alternatives? I also found HD201s for the same price.

The HD201 is...well, not bad for the price I guess, but it sounds rather harsh with practically no bass to speak of, and is rather uncomfortable with barely acceptable build quality.  I'm not entirely sure if I should recommend it or not.

Is there any way to return any of them after you've bought them?

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
The HD201 is...well, not bad for the price I guess, but it sounds rather harsh with practically no bass to speak of, and is rather uncomfortable with barely acceptable build quality.  I'm not entirely sure if I should recommend it or not.

Is there any way to return any of them after you've bought them?

I don't think returning them is possible after purchase(unless they're broken, of course!). My main concern(more than bass quality) is with comfort over long hours of wearing.

I currently use a Panny RP-HTF600 and I messed up the right side driver when I accidentally blew into the cup and now the sound is very un-balanced between the two cups. Also, I live in India and it gets warm around here(above 90 F) and the Panny's caused my ears to heat up pretty quickly and left the back of my ear sore.

So thats why I prefer comfort over sound quality. I reckon the HD 201 has the same heating issue. I came across Sony's MDR-MA100 and MDR-MA300. I agree that they may not be the best sounding open back headphones in that price range, but it looks like it's more comfortable and since they're open, they do let in some air which may help with the heating of ears. I've read that the MDR-MA300 has a muddy sounding bass which creeps into the highs and mids. The MDR-MA100 although cheaper has a softer bass and above average clarity in mids and highs.

It would be great if you could suggest me few other headphones which are very comfortable that need not necessarily be great or excellent sounding in the price range($20-25 or INR 1600 including taxes)

Thanks in advance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back