Sony MDR MA 900 (new release from Sony)
Nov 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #631 of 772
Quote:
This reads as "less smooth - more bright" to me.
redface.gif

Ah, very true.
wink.gif

Perhaps a different wording is in order. Not a more "current day" driver, just a "technically improved" one. Not sure if you've ever compared the PX100 to the PX100-II, but I heard the exact same thing in the sound. The PX100-II had more body, was a bit less grainy, and gave the music more soul. Ever heard of reviewers mention the HD25-II driver is "aging" by the sound of it? I'd say the same thing toward the F1 vs the MA900. The F1 is still awesomely fantastic though (as is the PX100) but they have been, IMO, been outdone by a successor.

Quote:
Woah, have you actually heard the PX100-II for yourself? For $50 it's a great little headphone, a mainstay portable for me. Personally,I enjoyed the tonality of the px100 over the dt990's, hfi2200, and the hd25's.

And I enjoyed it's tonality over nearly every headphone I've tried. With the special occasion of the HD600 and HD650 sounding a bit better, I still would take the PX100-II due to it being significantly cheaper, and also more comfortable to wear (not afraid to abuse it a little either). As the case of the HD598, I've had that darn headphone three different times, and the PX100-II came out on top as far as tonality and presentation went. And then you have the obvious: price, portability, comfort, etc.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #633 of 772
I thought my Cheap Samson headphones were good! until I bought these!! using them for gaming and couldnt be happier!! great Bass! and and best of all can wear them for hours! 

One happy guy here!

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #635 of 772
Just as smooth but with more openness and speed.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #637 of 772
Quote:

Did you ever post impression anywhere? I didn't see them if you did. How are you liking them?

I do like them. Just not using them much. I know, it's odd. There is something about them that does an "oil and water" thing with me.

Maybe it's the lightweight, flimsy feel. There is no physical authority with them, no clamp whatsoever (it just sits on the ears and head) and it gives off a feeling of weakness and cheapness, and it affects my attitude towards them, even though the sound is wonderful. Again, it's odd but that's how I am feeling...

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #638 of 772
Quote:

I do like them. Just not using them much. I know, it's odd. There is something about them that does an "oil and water" thing with me.

Maybe it's the lightweight, flimsy feel. There is no physical authority with them, no clamp whatsoever (it just sits on the ears and head) and it gives off a feeling of weakness and cheapness, and it affects my attitude towards them, even though the sound is wonderful. Again, it's odd but that's how I am feeling...

Weird, that's similar to how I felt. At times, I was even preferring them to my very personal PX100-II, yet, I had an itch to get rid of them because I couldn't stand it's cheapness. The unequal adjusters got on my nerves quite a bit. To be honest though, I think it all came down to value. I was having a hard time paying for it when my PX100-II was in my possession.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #643 of 772
Quote:
am i right, that these sonys have absolutely zero isolation?

None...zero. The driver housing is almost sitting out in the open.

Quote:

The unequal adjusters got on my nerves quite a bit. 

Yes! The sliding headband adjustment absolutely will not stay adjusted. I was almost tempted to glue them in place so they'd stay put.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #644 of 772
I just got these to replace my mdr-v6's that my wife always takes. Unfortunately, my initial impression right out of the box is that they do not sound as good straight from my laptop. I belive in break in so I took them down to my headphone amp and replaced the DT-990's. Very nice sound from the amp. I did not do any real comparison to the 990's (250) but a few things poped to mind. The build quality of the 990 was far superior. The 990 which I used to think of as comfortable seemed absurdly heavy and cumbersome. The amp needed to be on 9 for the Sony and 12 for the Byer. After about an hour of listening I put the Byer's back in the box and am really enjoying the Sony's. It's a very clean sound to me, perhaps not a refined as the Byer's but clear and concise. They are much less veiled in the midrange than the Byer's but that's not saying much. I had grown tired of the 990's after several years. Unlike the Byers, I feel like I'm hearing the music more like it was intended. It may not be perfect but it seems complete. I may post more impressions after more time. I paid $200ish from amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back