Sony MDR-F1 Initial Impressions + pics
Jan 12, 2008 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

troymadison

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got the F1 in the mail today. I like it a whole lot and I think it does rock better than the grados I have. They seem to be a very versatile headphone which can really do any genre pretty well. The bass quantity is almost on par with my K601s, yet have more bass than the K501s. Quality-wise, there is a whole lot of slam and tightness to it which extends enough for me. What I find interesting is how these guys aren't fatiguing whatsoever just like my k601s. For well recorded music, there can be some incredible soundstaging compared to anything I've heard in a headphone. I would say that it has a more "3D" effect than my k501s. I was told that the F1 is a perfect mixture between the K1000 and HD650s. The F1s are dark and slightly forward sounding. My K501s are much, much brighter and more distant sounding. I still like my grados because they are the most forward sounding headphone I own and they are a very acceptable choice if I want to try out a different sound signature. However, these are just my initial impressions, they could change. But I do encourage you guys to try out this very underrated headphone. Despite all of this said, I'd still say the Denons are my favorites still
smily_headphones1.gif

62709711by4.jpg

99659728xi8.jpg

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 54
Wow, those are ugly

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 54
You didn't burn them in yet!!!
wink.gif
I am glad you got them today...now you can sleep better
biggrin.gif

Enjoy the most under-rated headphone. F1 is one of my all time favorite single-ended cans. Now...I have to figure out how to open them up to make it balanced
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You didn't burn them in yet!!!
wink.gif
I am glad you got them today...now you can sleep better
biggrin.gif

Enjoy the most under-rated headphone. F1 is one of my all time favorite single-ended cans. Now...I have to figure out how to open them up to make it balanced
wink.gif

Tell me more, how much better do they get
biggrin.gif

I'm already impressed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 54
Guess what I am listening to now?
wink.gif

I wish I had my old M^3 (MOSFET) based amp with F1 now. F1 is current hungry cans so B22, MOSFET, or transformer coupled tube amps would do some justice to F1. Over time with burn-in...the bass will be tighter and the headstage will expend even more with treble getting sweeter. It needs about 150 hours...but I don't wait for that kind of thing... I just listen to it and enjoy them.

My next project is to make it balanced...and I believe the SQ will change as much as Senn going from single ended to balanced. Unfortunately...I can't figure out how to open them up. I know I have to drill a hole on the right cup housing to make it balanced.

Btw, watch a movie with F1...it's a trip
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me more, how much better do they get
biggrin.gif

I'm already impressed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 54
Independently from the sound, going from Grados to MDR-F1s, comfort wise, will make you feel like the guy who keeps hitting himself with a hammer because "it feels so good when I stop"...

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 54
^^^ Yep!! F1 is the MOST comfortable cans my head has ever experienced. To boot...they are one of the most non-fatiguing headphone as well.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 54
what's the going rate for these headphones? they look pretty interesting

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 54
Audiocubes has them going for what I believe is US$210.

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #15 of 54
Maybe this thread will develop more interest in these remarkable phones than I managed to generate in the past.

I know that entry to the LH capsule (to get at the cable termination) is by twisting off the wire meshed cover - so far I have not managed to acheive this. Very hard to grip.

'ford2' - how do the F1s comapre with SA50000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back