Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #947 of 1,311

Quote:
I dunoooooo anyway the EX600 and GR07 are NOT rivals for sound, just rivals for value and price!!

Who said they are rivals? Not me. I have always maintained that they are both great sounding universals, but I do prefer the GR07 over the EX600 (sound signature-wise).

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #948 of 1,311

From reading these forums I was expecting the GR07 to sound very close to the EX600 and that was not the case, it might certainly sound equally as good (or better, depending on what you like!) but it doesn't sound much like the EX600 at all, is all I meant =p

I can see why some people would consider the GR07 a bit dull or boring, but really it does nothing wrong, unfortunately I didn't get to listen for long enough, but I will give it credit for sounding "flawless"

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #950 of 1,311

What about the EX600 flaws?
popcorn.gif

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #951 of 1,311

Quote:

From reading these forums I was expecting the GR07 to sound very close to the EX600 and that was not the case, it might certainly sound equally as good (or better, depending on what you like!) but it doesn't sound much like the EX600 at all, is all I meant =p

I can see why some people would consider the GR07 a bit dull or boring, but really it does nothing wrong, unfortunately I didn't get to listen for long enough, but I will give it credit for sounding "flawless"

I wasn't fussing at you kiteki...lol. I just hadn't seen anyone say that both sound anything alike. I don't find the neither boring though, just different.

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #952 of 1,311
Not defending the GR07's because I think the timbre is indeed off on some types of instruments, but is there really an IEM that does the timbre of every instrument perfectly?

If not, then wouldn't it be a tuning choice that VSonic made rather than a flaw (that would also go for other manufacturers as well)?

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #955 of 1,311

Quote:
ericp10 what's your next IEM / custom, and what's your current musical infatuation?

kiteki, i'm mainly a jazzman. that's about 60 percent of what i own in music. then 30 percent r&b of some form, and 10 percent rock with other types of music mixed in. my next iem will probably be another custom. i'm interested in the es5 but waiting for 1964 ears to put out new models. i may buy the ex1000, but i'm not pressed for it, so i think i'm pretty content with universals at this point with the w4, gro7 and ex600. what custom do you have coming (if i understood correctly that you ordered one)?

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #956 of 1,311

okay jazzman =)

I think 1% of my music collection is Jazz... I think my best experience with Jazz was the movie The Talented Mr. Ripley, so I have a couple Chet Baker albums, but that's all really... can you recommend me a good jazz album to try with my EX600's?

The custom I went for is the Gui Ling CX6 ver 2.0 - 2 bass, 2 mids and 2 highs, triple xo, dual bore, sub-bass to high-highs, etc... I'll compare it to the Miracle (from memory, and then hopefully in person) when I receive it.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #957 of 1,311
Well, arguably the greatest jazz album ever is Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue." Get that one first (the legacy remastered version) and let me know how you like it. Also an album called Duke Ellington and John Coltrane. Two good places to start. So what type of music do you mainly listen to?

Wow on the custom! What country is that made in? Price range?
Quote:

okay jazzman =)

I think 1% of my music collection is Jazz... I think my best experience with Jazz was the movie The Talented Mr. Ripley, so I have a couple Chet Baker albums, but that's all really... can you recommend me a good jazz album to try with my EX600's?

The custom I went for is the Gui Ling CX6 ver 2.0 - 2 bass, 2 mids and 2 highs, triple xo, dual bore, sub-bass to high-highs, etc... I'll compare it to the Miracle (from memory, and then hopefully in person) when I receive it.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #958 of 1,311

I listen to alternative music like Björk, alternative rock, garagerock, j-rock, and then I listen to quite a lot of classical music such as in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/564545/baroque-music-appreciation-thread-v-1-1 and then I listen to a lot of european darker electronic music, I'd say that sums up 75% of my listening.

The custom is made in China as the "Gui Ling" name indicates =) and I'll be the first person to have the "ver 2" of it... it's really an unknown company outside of China.

The price is 4980 Yuan, or $779 USD, prior to shipping, cables, artwork, potential custom taxes etc... Lol.

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #959 of 1,311
I'd consider the Timbre flawed from my listening.  
I agree but I think this due to it's slightly grainy yet somewhat dull treble. It's treble is a bit too soft and yet harsh with certain recordings due to a low treble spike. Looking back at things, it's timbre wasnt as big of a problem as it's compressed dynamic range.

What about the EX600 flaws?
popcorn.gif
Lower treble spike is a tad too high leading to emphasized sibilance with some recordings. It's treble can also sound a bit grainy like the GR07 but its presence is proper outside of the lower treble.

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #960 of 1,311
i got a listen to the two most recommended jazz albums here. Coltrane's Blue Train and Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. They do sound great on the ex600. but i do hear some hiss on the recordings. lowering the volume helps a bit because i normally listen loud. sometimes the hiss sounds like constant hi-hats in the background. i guess that's how it is on some old jazz recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back