Sony MDR-EX500.. Did i make a mistake?
May 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MetroBBOY

100+ Head-Fier
As per above subject.

My local Sony Store had a renovation sale, so i picked these up at a relatively cheap price@ $80.00AUD.

I find that the bass is obviously "chk chk boom", and appears to go low and has a nice extension. The mids and highs appear recessed though, as if its got the muffled effect. Sounds distant to me.

I understand these are dynamic drivers, therefore requiring "burn-in". Should i just put up and shutup, and wait for them to settle? They are damn comfy though! Or are you going to recommend me a $$$ IEM?
tongue.gif

This is coming from me, who owned the Triple.Fi's as a first IEM
redface.gif
My expectations have been tarnished now..

May 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroBBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As per above subject.

My local Sony Store had a renovation sale, so i picked these up at a relatively cheap price@ $80.00AUD.

I find that the bass is obviously "chk chk boom", and appears to go low and has a nice extension. The mids and highs appear recessed though, as if its got the muffled effect. Sounds distant to me.

I understand these are dynamic drivers, therefore requiring "burn-in". Should i just put up and shutup, and wait for them to settle? They are damn comfy though! Or are you going to recommend me a $$$ IEM?
tongue.gif

This is coming from me, who owned the Triple.Fi's as a first IEM
redface.gif
My expectations have been tarnished now..

They do improve, the bass calms down a bit and the treble gets a little less shrill but they are WARM , very warm. I actually like them a lot , they sound like no other in my collection and i think if you use them a lot and give them a few weeks you may get to like them.

May 28, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do improve, the bass calms down a bit and the treble gets a little less shrill but they are WARM , very warm. I actually like them a lot , they sound like no other in my collection and i think if you use them a lot and give them a few weeks you may get to like them.

Appreciate your opinion there mate.

Look, i love warm sound. My music consists of industrie, trance, electro styles. I just figured i would pawn them if i wasnt happy within a few days.. Did you experiment with other tips mate? Just curious if i could somehow enhance the quality and/or fit even better.

May 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 11
Jun 4, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 11
woah is those offer still avaliable bro? 80 bucks i dun mind gettin one myself but the sony shop in brisbane dun have this kinda offer..

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 11
do your 500's sound like you are under a pillow when it is vocals?

Is this normal for the 300 and 500's? My Klipsch S4's have dynamic drivers and they sounded clear right out of the box. I can't decide whether or not to return my mdr-ex300's because I can't decide if I have a bum pair or if they just sound like this to start with.

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 11
These require a 12 to 24 hour period continuous burn in! The sound literally pops after that time period. These are the first earphones I've owned that require a burn-in and I was skeptical of the procedure at first but it worked for me.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 11
The EX-300 right out of the box sounded really bad. After 50 hours, they are one of my favorite IEMs. And I was not a firm burn-in beleiver. But now I definitely am. These were the IEMs that most changed with burn-in ever. Really curious to know if the EX-500 has the same bass quantity and sound any better due to the multi-layer driver, because if it does, its the best bang for the buck phone on the market (and I'm accostumed to "top-tier" IEMs like the SM3, UM3X, etc). The EX-300 lacks a bit on treble (not much extension and it's laid back), but bass and mids are simply amazing (as well as soundstage - depth).

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm looking for a set of mdr ex 500, any of you please contact me if you are willing to sell them

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 11
Looking for a ex500. Message me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back