Sony MDR-CD3000 replacement earpads
Mar 15, 2003 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

itza2mer

500+ Head-Fier
I've got an older pair of CD3000's(1999) that need earpad replacements. I've been to: http://servicesales.sel.sony.com , however unlike, say Sennehiser, I can't order the earpads from this site.

I did fill out a repair request form at the site for replacement earpads, and this is responce I received:

Please review the following repair request confirmation:

------------------------------------
Model: MDRCD3000
Serial No:

Work Order No: WH1KNR58
------------------------------------
Warranty Status: Out of Warranty
The full cost of this repair, including shipping and all applicable taxes
is: $61.06

Credit Card: _________________________ Exp Date: ____/____
(Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover)

Authorized by: _________________________ Date: ____/____

Alternatively, you can enclose a check or money order payable to "Sony
Electronics" in this amount.

***legal crap edited out for space***

My question: is this too good to be true, or is Sony gonna nail me for more money to cover the cost for the earpads? Just to look at the headphones,Sony charges $26.00. I think it's silly to send headphones to the factory just to replace earpads, however I do realise that this practice is the norm for some companies.

Thanks

Mar 15, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 27
I was trying to find out about the parts list for these Headphones, and nobody was able to direct me in the right direction, not even Sony, I was trying with them for a week, from one place to the other and nothing at the end, I contacted Partsolver then, and nothing, to the date, I think that there is parts list in japaneese, in the box, but as I can't read that, is useless for me, I'm still waiting to get the damned parts list, it seems that they do not have it, and the headphones have to be sent for any repair to them....please if you can keep me updated on whatever happen to you, I don't need any replacement, but I want to know in the future what to do!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 27
Curious. The CD3000s have been around for, what, 10 years? I am surprised that this one has not come up before.

Any guess how the pads are held on? If they are glued it might be worth the money. I kinda doubt it, but I did see that thread on the R10 pad replacement, and that was just plain silly.

My interest is more than casual. I had planned on procuring a set of these things some day to see if I really like them, and I am assessing liabilities.

gerG

Mar 15, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 27
They attach the same way as most of the Sonys, like the MDR series, V700DJ, MDR7506-7509, V900, etc...they have a gap all around, and the pads has a piece that inserts in that gap, with some kind of a tricky fold around that keep it inside the gap...very simple indeed, I don't know why they want them to be sent to the factory, the R-10 is different it is glued to the surface of the cup in some way, even that way a little more complicated, hirsch did it by himself very good......

Mar 15, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 27
Hi Sov. That is good to know. That means that Sony is just being their money grubbing selves. Nothing has changed, and the universe is nicely stable. Of course the next question is "what is the flange diameter?" Wouldn't it be convenient if Beyer pads would fit?

gerG

Mar 15, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 27
No, the Sony pads for these particular headphone are not symmetric, they have one part thicker than the other, the back side is thicker than the front, and the holes has the ear shape more or less, I don't think the Beyers will fit, but it worth a try, instead of the 60.00 something.
OTOH, Me personnally do not like the velour pads at all, it get dirty to easy, very hard to wash, without damaging them, I had a bad experience with an HD600 pair, that ended in a replacement...

Mar 15, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 27
itza2mer, that name is just sick. otoh that is why we are all here, after all. Photos please!

Sov, the inner part of the pads are not symmetric, but I suspect that the mounting flange may be. Just because Sony punched ear shaped holes in the pads doesn't mean that we have to listen through a constrained shape aperture. btw, how did you pick your forum name? Curiosity will be the death of me yet
wink.gif

gerG

Mar 15, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by gerG
itza2mer, that name is just sick. otoh that is why we are all here, after all. Photos please!

Sov, the inner part of the pads are not symmetric, but I suspect that the mounting flange may be. Just because Sony punched ear shaped holes in the pads doesn't mean that we have to listen through a constrained shape aperture. btw, how did you pick your forum name? Curiosity will be the death of me yet
wink.gif

gerG

The mounting flange is in fact what is different, one side is longer to cover the black plastic piece, that is not symetric, of course the holes is not a big deal, even when i preffer to use the wider part to the top of my ears, if not I will look like Sparks in star trek pretty soon...............just take a look at the pics...

That name is long story, and too bored...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Mar 15, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 27
Originally posted by gerG

It's inspired by movie Kindergarden Cop when a kid says to a stressed out Arnold with a bad headache: "maybe it's a tumor" and Arnold screams "It's not a Tumor". And yes I agree, it is sick!

I'll post more photos at this web address if needed:

http://www.geocities.com/itza2mer/in...?1047702430546

Thanks

Mar 15, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #11 of 27
Oh man, don't tease! Yank that foam off the driver so that we can see it!

Seems like the AT pads are very similar to the Sony pads. Unfortunately the Beyer pads will not fit. I will get dimensions on the AT pads.

gerG

Mar 15, 2003 at 8:21 AM Post #13 of 27
Man ... I admire those of ya who're willing to take apart your cans.. I wouldn't set anything sharp close to these cans.. heck.. they're the most expensive piece of equipment I've bought for my system...
tongue.gif

Nice pics, though.
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2003 at 2:47 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by itza2mer
http://www.geocities.com/itza2mer/in...?1047715126252

New photos

Sony uses 2 thin foam layers over the driver. 1 is glued directly on top of the driver and another piece is glued on the inside of the housing (or whatever its called!) that the driver assembly attaches to.

Man this hurts!!!! Don't do that again in front of me, Jesus, replace the foam, if you use it like that maybe the sonic nature of the driver will go to hell
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2003 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Man this hurts!!!! Don't do that again in front of me, Jesus, replace the foam, if you use it like that maybe the sonic nature of the driver will go to hell
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL!

The foam began to crumble after I took it off the driver. Lucky for me I had some spare foam, so I cut it the same size as the original and glued it in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back