Sony MDR-7520
Apr 18, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,336 of 2,535
Lol, yes

Think of the th600 as a bigger, more spacious grander smoother bassy-er and MORE DETAILED version of your Sony(!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit;
Just remember the to sonic signatures are vastly different according to their intended use.
The Sony is more of a monitor,
While the th600 is more a bass head can..

I dont think they sound anything alike at all not even close anywhere. Not balance not anything. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #1,338 of 2,535
7520's arrived this morning. Only 14 tracks in, but I really like these. Great build quality, very comfortable initial fit (further time will determine this one), a fairly chill, not ostentatious appearance...and they sound damn good. Surprisingly light too - go go magnesium. 

Somewhat bassy compared to the FSP's - but tight, very well extended, and very detailed bass. Unlike, say, the V-Moda M-100's the bass isn't forward in presentation either so it's not particularly intrusive. I plan on using these as a portable and their bass elevation will actually help for mobile usage. Great microdetail extraction. Much more to say on this later. 

What I like is that these things so far is that they are detailed but not analytical. They are really toe-tappingly musical. Sam Cooke's "Loveable"/"Jesus Gave Me Water" and Paul Simon's "Graceland"/"Gumboots" sound really great. 

These are nice. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #1,341 of 2,535
Listened for a couple more hours and noticed some slightly elevated sibilance at the upper male vocal range/lower female vocal range (really, all around the lower treble range). So, I decided to do a search of this thread re: this topic.

It seems that this has come up before. >.< 

I swapped to my Paradox to check to make sure that the sibilance I was hearing with the 7520 was in the original tracks. The sibilance is definitely there in the originals, but the 7520 either:

1. At best, does nothing to mitigate the sibilance. 
2. At worst, slightly elevates it. Not to HD25-II/Amperior levels, but a slight emphasis.

I'm going to try comparing across DAC's and sources to get a sense of what's going on. From my ODAC > Leckerton UHA-6S MKII its a little bit fatiguing.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,342 of 2,535
  Listened for a couple more hours and noticed some slightly elevated sibilance at the upper male vocal range/lower female vocal range (really, all around the lower treble range). So, I decided to do a search of this thread re: this topic.

It seems that this has come up before. >.< 

I swapped to my Paradox to check to make sure that the sibilance I was hearing with the 7520 was in the original tracks. The sibilance is definitely there in the originals, but the 7520 either:

1. At best, does nothing to mitigate the sibilance. 
2. At worst, slightly elevates it. Not to HD25-II/Amperior levels, but a slight emphasis.

I'm going to try comparing across DAC's and sources to get a sense of what's going on. From my ODAC > Leckerton UHA-6S MKII its a little bit fatiguing.

+1

The last factor making it unpleasant is the listening volume, the moment you reach a bit loud volume, the sibilant point already present in the recording will be perceivable as such.
But from my experience with them I rarely encounter it as I don't usually use headphones at loud volume.

PS:
Steve Gadd's percussion from "Paul Simon - 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover" are a joy, great impact on the 7520

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,343 of 2,535
  +1

The last factor making it unpleasant is the listening volume, the moment you reach a bit loud volume, the sibilant point already present in the recording will be perceivable as such.
But from my experience with them I rarely encounter it as I don't usually use headphones at loud volume.

PS:
Steve Gadd's percussion from "Paul Simon - 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover" are a joy, great impact on the 7520

Re: Gadd's percussion...it sure is! "Gumboots" and the title track off of Graceland both sound wonderful as well. This headphone really does bass, drums, and bass/baritone voices well.

I'm a low volume listener too. (I use my Leckerton on low gain, and at around 8 o'clock on the dial to just bump it past its channel imbalance.) I'm generally not a burn-in believer, but I'm hoping that with some mechanical diaphragm flex that I might get some sort of reduction. I have them playing random tracks in a box next to my desk currently at just over my preferred volume level. Going to leave them there for a while.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,344 of 2,535

Re: Gadd's percussion...it sure is! "Gumboots" and the title track off of Graceland both sound wonderful as well. This headphone really does bass, drums, and bass/baritone voices well.

I'm a low volume listener too. (I use my Leckerton on low gain, and at around 8 o'clock on the dial to just bump it past its channel imbalance.) I'm generally not a burn-in believer, but I'm hoping that with some mechanical diaphragm flex that I might get some sort of reduction. I have them playing random tracks in a box next to my desk currently at just over my preferred volume level. Going to leave them there for a while.

My experience with them was that after around 30 hours of burn in the bass got tighter and they were a bit less "inaccurate" (if i can say) with trebles,
like they became slightly darker, though not a dramatic change but enough to slightly tame the trebbles down.

My only grippe with this can in the end is that they can seem congested on some tracks, lacking soundstage  and a bit of air .

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #1,347 of 2,535
The thing is I bet there are a few independent stores around Tokyo that have imports but I just havent been able to find any so far.
I don't really like ordering products just to see if I like them and then return them, not sure why but it just seems a bit wasteful or dishonest, so that's out as an option too. Anyway I might just buy them eventually. Or just get drunk and go for the AKG K812!

Edit: By the way, in Japan you can audition just about any headphone you can imagine, there are stores with rows and rows of headphones set up so that you can plug in your phone (or even DAC/amp if you want) and listen with your own music. The problen is the 7520 is an export model I believe so it's not really sold here.
Cheers

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,348 of 2,535
... I don't really like ordering products just to see if I like them and then return them, not sure why but it just seems a bit wasteful or dishonest, so that's out as an option too. Anyway I might just buy them eventually. Or just get drunk and go for the AKG K812!

I see what you mean, and I agree somewhat, but if you've read the reviews so far and are seriously interested in them, then I think you should buy them. It's not like you're just trying them out on a whim. I assume you want to keep them if you like them, and there's a good chance you will given how they're faring among others here who might have similar HP tastes as you. Even if you don't keep them, returning them's no loss for the merchant in the end. It's part of doing business, and it's not like you're trying to take advantage of the system, like some people do. Or you could sell them on Head-Fi. As regards getting drunk and buying the AKG's, NOOOOOooo!!!! How would you feel about yourself the next day? :wink:

EDIT: Also, isn't the Z1000 a domestic model there, and isn't it very close to the 7520 in some regards (at the least, physically, and sonically to some degree)? Couldn't you try that one as a "ballpark" test?

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,349 of 2,535
The thing is I bet there are a few independent stores around Tokyo that have imports but I just havent been able to find any so far.
I don't really like ordering products just to see if I like them and then return them, not sure why but it just seems a bit wasteful or dishonest, so that's out as an option too. Anyway I might just buy them eventually. Or just get drunk and go for the AKG K812!

Edit: By the way, in Japan you can audition just about any headphone you can imagine, there are stores with rows and rows of headphones set up so that you can plug in your phone (or even DAC/amp if you want) and listen with your own music. The problen is the 7520 is an export model I believe so it's not really sold here.
Cheers

Like this crazy place, oh boy that could narrow down an headphone quest to less than a week.
When I think about it, a trip to japan could potentially cost me less in the long run 
L3000.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #1,350 of 2,535
  I see what you mean, and I agree somewhat, but if you've read the reviews so far and are seriously interested in them, then I think you should buy them. It's not like you're just trying them out on a whim. I assume you want to keep them if you like them, and there's a good chance you will given how they're faring among others here who might have similar HP tastes as you. Even if you don't keep them, returning them's no loss for the merchant in the end. It's part of doing business, and it's not like you're trying to take advantage of the system, like some people do. Or you could sell them on Head-Fi. As regards getting drunk and buying the AKG's, NOOOOOooo!!!! How would you feel about yourself the next day? :wink:

EDIT: Also, isn't the Z1000 a domestic model there, and isn't it very close to the 7520 in some regards (at the least, physically, and sonically to some degree)? Couldn't you try that one as a "ballpark" test?

Nope, the Z1000 doesn't sound the same as the 7520. They're distinctly different (I've listened to both). The bass is very rolled off on the Z1000, which is the biggest difference between the two. Testing the Z1000 will not really give you an impression of how the 7520 sounds. The mids and highs might be somewhat similar, but that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back