Sony MDR-1R vs NAD VISO HP50
May 9, 2014 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Pandaclocker

New Head-Fier
Hello, I currently own a Sony MDR-1R, which I'm quite happy for. However I've read so many positive reviews about the HP50, that I'm wondering if it will be a noticable upgrade from my MDR-1R? 

I'm pretty close to pull the trigger on the HP50, but what especially holds be back, is the fair amount of reports, that the ear cups are small and will not suit larger than average ears. 

Is there anyone here who have tried both the MDR-1R and the HP50, and can comment on both the sound quality (soundstage in particular), but also the earcup-size of the HP50 compared to the MDR-1R. I really like my headphones to fully cover my ears..

Thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 2
Late bump, but I think my post will help others with same options in the future 

I have auditioned the MDR-1R extensively, but bought the HP50 instead.  The MDR-1R is much more comfortable, and definitely much more better looking.  Both are plastic built, the HP50 which would creak when you turn your head, does your 1R's creak too with its loose headphone jack? Sound quality wise, the HP50 is much more technically better, with more tight, punchy bass, and I feel similar warm treble.  I feel the 1R's mids are more smoother, yet I am still burning in my HP50 where its mids sound grainy yet.  

If I were you, I will settle with your MDR-1R, and get an additional, more accurate sounding open headphone/IEM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back