Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #691 of 1,177
Yes, for sure. I have since tried a few more of the newer headphones, bluetooth versions mostly, and I always come back to the Sony’s. I really don’t have any complaints outside of the semi-cheap feel of them compared to other 250+ dollar headphones. The fact that these can be had for around 175 now brand new makes them almost impossible to resist.
Awesome. Can you give me a little rundown, as to how the 2 headphones compare and contrast? I appreciate it

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #692 of 1,177
Awesome. Can you give me a little rundown, as to how the 2 headphones compare and contrast? I appreciate it

No. LOL. I haven’t had the H6 for almost a year. So I can’t even remember what it sounded like back in the day. I just know I made the decision to go Sony and didn’t look back at the B&Os. Sorry I can’t be of more assistance. I just wouldn’t want to speak off of a distant memory. Like I said, I’ve been auditioning TONS of headphones, and ultimately the Sony’s won the head to head battles.

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #693 of 1,177
I recently bought the Sony 1am2 (1 day ago), to supplement my ever-growing audiophile collection. I've heard the Z1R with the 4.4mm cable with my M11pro DAP (yes the m11pro can drive these full can at blasting volume), the bass amount is uttermost impressive. I have many expensive cans, but I recently got some **** around money (sold my ps4), and I decided to go for the entry model 1am2 just to experience the infamous Sony tuning (and because it's the cheapest one that comes with a 4.4mm cable, I'm a sucker for balanced audio). At first, the treble seems a little shouty (i have no problem it being warm or overly bassy, as that's exactly the sound signature I'm looking for, I have HD660s and Andromeda to do the heavy analytical work). After a little bit of burning in and slightly turning down the volume, now the sound is really natural and easy to enjoy music with. I guess that's what people are looking for in Sony's tuning, just wanting to put on a can and not having to focus, just sitting down and purely enjoy the music. So far I've quite enjoyed this can, definitely not the can I would recommend to anyone buying their first "audiophile" can especially at this price point (you would find better open-backed ones at this price, and assuming you don't have anything to take advantage of the 4.4mm cable), but their second or even third can for outdoor use and someone who is looking for a natural and easy to enjoy sound signature.:):darthsmile:

Jan 24, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #694 of 1,177
I like them better and better, though they are basshead cans of sorts.

Loads of bass, and deep bass. But still defined, even very deep bass is informative. Most cans lacks a lot of information in the deep bass, this slightly high level of bass can easily be lived with as it is good bass. And as said, it levels out a bit with low impedance amplification. Earlier unheard subbass effects are discovered on one album after the other.

Other pros is it can play very loud without congestion maybe too loud(mind your hearing), midrange/voices are perfect, and treble is high res. The treble was slightly harsh when new, but the harshness vanishes completely after some time. Soundstage also widens with playtime, most in the first hours as soundstage is very narrow when brand new but it grows fast.

My current favorite is goind through my FLAC library using Xmplayer, as it has the best ASIO-plugin I've heard so far(ASIO rev. 7C, https://www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmp-asio.dll ). It really sounds ultra smooth and fluid. I've always thought Foobar2000 had some odd harshness/lifelessness in the sound using the ASIO-plugin and mostly have preferred other players using WASAPI. Xmplay really does ASIO right, in all aspects. Great player for more than the sound, a lot of useful built in features/plugins and the Euphoria skin is perfect.

edit. I played around a little with my audio interface and Xmplayer, un4seen advertises that Xmplayer can play back 32-bit integer files if the hardware is capable. Well, my UR22C is hardware capable so I set 32-bit as output format in Xmplayer and resampling to 96kHz with the slider set to max quality. Now, there will be a large potion of placebo coming into play but I switched back and forth and listened to different styles of music. Mind that already 24/44.1 sounds very very good, but the MDR-1AM2 brings out almost unreal levels of detail from recordings using 32/96 even on 16/44.1 FLAC-files. The pinpoint and exact detail of each instrument/voice is surprising, as is microdetails like touching strings etc, and there is a lot of air between each instrument. They do not blend together as "one sound" so harmonies are easier to separate. And MDR-1AM2 scales effortless with the extra detail.
So why is it like this? 100% placebo anyway? No, I don't think so. The music file is the music file, nothing in the file itself can be better, it's only extra zeros padded into the file before hitting the interface. Any possible explanation must have to do with the DAC/Interface itself, it could be it works more efficient inside and applies different digital filters using 32/96 which is what could affect the sound. It's the only explanation I can think of. My CD-player and smartphone both have selectable filters and they all sounds very different. 16/44.1 uses sharp filters starting at 20kHz. Forcing the DAC to run in 32/96 will apply a different filter, which is the only logical explanation for the differences in sound I can think of. Anyway, it sounds amazing and Xmplayer handles the upsampling seemingly transparent. I have never succeeded to get upsampling transparent in Foobar2000, even with third party src plugins from obscure japanese sites. Very nice tinkering so far, but I'm yet to see if I think the same in a few days. Placebo and novelty are powerful effects. Oh, and the above is only possible using ASIO, as it has direct control over the DAC/Interface. That's why I always wanted a music player with a real good ASIO plugin in the first place :)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #695 of 1,177
Now I have tamed the bass with MDR-1AM2, sort off, I bought a audiointerface with 0.05 Ohms output impedance and a healthy 180mW at 32 Ohms. Bass is now BOTH powerful and very, very tight and not raised in level to any concernable level. Sounds really good imho.

The interface is the MOTU M2, worth a recommendation as it probably has the most powerful built in HP-amp of any audiointerface, measures very well and uses ESS SABRE32 DAC. Especially great for mobile recording with a built in HQ HP-amp and powered by USB, but also for just enjoying music.

Jan 30, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #696 of 1,177
This is clean sounding.

Just listening to Iron Maiden "Fear Of the Dark" album on Tidal Masters, while I like Maiden they have always sounded kinda busy and harsh to me. Well, MDR-1AM2 though the MOTU M2 makes Maiden sound like some Diana Krall album, or maybe Steely Dan :D

Jan 30, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #697 of 1,177
This is clean sounding.

Just listening to Iron Maiden "Fear Of the Dark" album on Tidal Masters, while I like Maiden they have always sounded kinda busy and harsh to me. Well, MDR-1AM2 though the MOTU M2 makes Maiden sound like some Diana Krall album, or maybe Steely Dan :D
Sounds kinda boring

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #698 of 1,177
Sounds kinda boring

No, it sounds very powerful and fun, the thing is it's easy to pick out everything in Maidens wall of sound which it usually isn't. The comment above was meant to be funny :p

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #699 of 1,177
this is what I primarily use for now. got lucky and bought it for around $150 worth during the holiday sales. it's not really the most mind-blowing sound, but the soundstage and comfort make it quite worth it.

I use it with my cowon plenue 2 player... pretty content with the comb at this moment. now, waiting for my grado gh2 to ship in

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #700 of 1,177
I have the sony mdr 1am2 and enjoy these very much, but fiio has me upset that since December 2018 ( 14 months now) I have been trying without success to obtain fiio am3b or am3d amp module for my q5 to use, without adapter cable, for the balanced 4.4mm sony cable.

I write this only as a precaution to those thinking a fiio upgrade amp module for a q5 is a real possibility; it is not. Buyer Beware.

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #701 of 1,177
Hi guys, these Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones are great,no comments:),Anybody tried 4.4mm balance cable from Nobunanga Japan,or balanced cable from Sony?How is different with sound compare original cable in the box.Aftermarket cable no interested.Thanks in advance.

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #702 of 1,177
Hi guys, these Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones are great,no comments:),Anybody tried 4.4mm balance cable from Nobunanga Japan,or balanced cable from Sony?How is different with sound compare original cable in the box.Aftermarket cable no interested.Thanks in advance.
Regardless of other opinions, I find the balanced cable a noticeable improvement on the fiio q5. The only problem is the use of an auxiliary cable to match 2.5mm female input to male sony 4.4mm jack.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #703 of 1,177
Regardless of other opinions, I find the balanced cable a noticeable improvement on the fiio q5. The only problem is the use of an auxiliary cable to match 2.5mm female input to male sony 4.5mm jack.

It's not strange balanced sounds better, most DAC:s having 2.5/4.4 mm balanced outs also have a lot more power output using those outputs than using the single ended 3.5/6.35 mm jack. More power means more headroom before getting harsh. I would say it's not the output being balanced enhancing the sound, but the higher power. A single ended amp of good quality can still sound even better imho.

In professional applications balanced is not used to enhance the sound quality as for timbre/resolution, but to cancel out electrical noise, there's not much noise to cancel out in a headphone cord.

But of course, if owning one of those 2.5/4.4 mm amps one really wants to use the higher power output of the amp, in that case a balanced cable will be essential.

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #704 of 1,177
Yes, for sure. I have since tried a few more of the newer headphones, bluetooth versions mostly, and I always come back to the Sony’s. I really don’t have any complaints outside of the semi-cheap feel of them compared to other 250+ dollar headphones. The fact that these can be had for around 175 now brand new makes them almost impossible to resist.
I decided to move from my trusty 1A (balanced version) to the 1AM2, and I'm definitely satisfied. Running balanced on both, the 1AM2 has better clarity, imaging, and bass is more defined. Also, I took a shot on getting them Renewed for $129 vs. New, and well, they are as good as new and came with the original cables (3.5mm & 4.4mm balanced) and pouch.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR1AM2-Resolution-Headphones-Refurbished/dp/B07F1WS11P/

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #705 of 1,177

Users who are viewing this thread

Back