Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Sep 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #18 of 2,667
Looks like the same flimsy plastic construction though... Wish Sony would use aluminum or at least higher quality plastic for $300 headphones.

probably aluminum band, holder and plastic cups? the z7 uses all metal parts I think, read it on the site (plastic for some really needed in specific areas). I dont mid plastic as long as its solid and durable, and there is less condensation on plastic compared to metal.

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #20 of 2,667
According to the Sony Singapore site, it looks like Sony US site is mistaken. 

The optional cables that will be available for the MDR-1A will not be made by Kimber Kable, but will be made by Sony out of the same silver-plated OFC copper that the standard cables are made of.

This isn't a surprise to me, since the Kimber Kables are very bulky and wouldn't really fit in with the 'Lifestyle' design of the MDR-1A.

I really wish the headphone-end connectors were a lot shorter since they are really going to hang off the headphone quite a bit.

http://www.sony.com.sg/product/mdr-1a

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #21 of 2,667
  Major problems with the MDR-1R was the awful boomy bass, frequency response notch between 2Khz and 8Khz and poor power handling. Hopefully, using aluminium coated LCP instead of LCP will improve this but I wouldn't expect to see massive improvements.

For a $300 closed headphone you should be getting a smooth frequency response curve, tight bass without sub-bass roll off and good clarity. They need to be as good as the Spirit Pro and NAD HP50.

These are the same issues I had with the MDR-1R but I loved the style and comfort so much! Like you have no idea. 
In the years since the 1R SONY seems to have made some fantastic progress with LCP drivers and the new ALCP should be quite amazing as they remind me of the sapphire coated drivers of the famous MDR-V6.

I wish these were released in Australia, I'd buy them right this second, lol.

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #22 of 2,667

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665529/dynamat-mod-for-sony-mdr-1r/60#post_10515886

this is the mod I did for mine 
smile.gif

Wow, I would've never thought about modding headphones.. freakin' AWESOME! ;-D

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #24 of 2,667
wonder if coating a liquid diaphragm with alu will work out, i mean they used the LD for it being able to fluctuate and vibrate for sound production, coating it with alu will make it stiff wont it?

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #25 of 2,667
wow a lot of discussion about the earpads. it also happens to be the first thing i noticed to be different upon seeing the 1A and 1R on the Singapore site.

I hope 1A has much better SQ. The 1R had muffled mids, slow, loose bass with not so good sub bass and too forward vocals.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #26 of 2,667
one of the promotional pics of the MDR-1A on singapore's site shows the 1A connected to the new NWZ-A10

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #28 of 2,667
I hope this can beat what has long been my benchmark for this price: The PSB M4U1.

These are backordered on the store.sony.com website

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #29 of 2,667
Oct 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #30 of 2,667
I hope this can beat what has long been my benchmark for this price: The PSB M4U1.

These are backordered on the store.sony.com website

Yeah, I ordered one online a few days ago.  It had said they were in stock and ready to ship - but when a few days passed after the 9/30 date, and I didn't see a "shipped" email, I called Sony.  Looks like they're just backordered and I'll be waiting with the rest of the folk.

Not that it's that big of a deal.  My MDR-R1 Mk. 2 is only 6 months old after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back