Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Apr 13, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #3,151 of 3,201
Anyone have a comparison with the Dunu Glacier ?
I own the Glacier and it is my current favorite IEM. I'll try to compare these later today. But I already know the Glacier is a whole other beast having 9 drivers per side, which includes 4EST. The soundstage on the Glacier is epic.

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #3,152 of 3,201
I own the Glacier and it is my current favorite IEM. I'll try to compare these later today. But I already know the Glacier is a whole other beast having 9 drivers per side, which includes 4EST. The soundstage on the Glacier is epic.
Thank you, i really appreciate it. I have M9 but it never excites me, so wondering Z1R or glacier with the TAZ and 1AM2

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #3,153 of 3,201
Thank you, i really appreciate it. I have M9 but it never excites me, so wondering Z1R or glacier with the TAZ and 1AM2
I haven't tried the Z1R but I've read that it has amazing technicalities and soundstage even if it is also older. And it might be cheaper to get used nowadays also.

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #3,155 of 3,201
To remove the tackiness, Just put some bicarb soda and water paste and give it a light scrub with the fingers and wash off.
Thanks! I'll give that a try!

May 9, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #3,157 of 3,201
Oh no it works fine. Just just that you can tell there is a small layer of dirt attached to certain parts of the M9. Mostly in crevices and corners around the nozzle. But it sounds great.
My main concern was the exposed foam and if it was easy to replace/clean. I will try my best not to mess with it lol

If you read back a few pages from your 1st post about your pair of M9 you'll see I've had similar concerns. Others like @MudEnjoyer and @Vamp898 had looked into this before me. I'm disgusted with Sony's response that 'the part is not available' for the nozzle filters. My buddy never came through with the promised boring tools so I could try using various types of foam I have on hand. For now I'm using the Comply tips with the integrated wax guard filters.

I also disagree with @MudEnjoyer and @BonGoBiLai regarding removal/cleaning. I have a particularly poor body chemistry and produce a lot of sweat and wax in my ears. I had removed and cleaned the nozzle filters in mine a few times and they started breaking down. I have now removed them entirely - they are not glued in, but wax/sweat absorption can make it seem like they are. As mentioned in previous posts, I and others have contacted Sony regarding replacement filters but they are not available as a part, even though they obviously still make them for new pairs.

For an IEM at their price level, Sony should be ashamed. Foam always breaks down, even just with age and air exposure. I do still have a wide selection of foam to try, and have come up with a very simple boring tool that happens to be almost perfect in size: a thin drinking straw that's perfectly sized for cutting the foam so that they fit nicely in the M9 nozzle. I only tried it with one foam type as a test as I've had some fairly significant health issues so it's been sitting in my pile of projects to complete for quite a while. Alas this test foam altered the sound signature too much, so it's not a good choice.

@Vamp898 also mentioned a filter pack from Final for their MAKE series that might be usable but I'm not sure if they or anyone else has actually ordered and tried them.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-m9-impressions-thread.897604/post-18016693

I've also had another minor issue - I had mentioned that the little rubber plugs that identify the L and R earbuds can come loose. My L broke free months ago but I was lucky and found it before the vacuum cleaner got it. Alas the R also came off about 2 months ago and I haven't found it. For now I've just left the empty holes as it's still pretty obvious which one is L or R. For aesthetics, I plan to just fill the holes with white silicone for L and red silicon for the R. Another back-burner project.

I'll try and report back soon on the filters I'm going to make, but for now at least the Comply tips are doing the job.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #3,158 of 3,201
I have an almost new M9 with the foam still pretty much intact. When I have the time I’ll get some cheap high density foam tuning set and spend some time with the coupler to see which one matches closely with the og.
Hi, just wanted to know if you got around to doing your testing to find a matching or close enough tuning foam/filter?

May 9, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #3,159 of 3,201
@Vamp898 also mentioned a filter pack from Final for their MAKE series that might be usable but I'm not sure if they or anyone else has actually ordered and tried them.
I know someone that has those filters after purchasing the Make4 and sadly the filters won't fit the M9.

May 9, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #3,161 of 3,201
Hi, just wanted to know if you got around to doing your testing to find a matching or close enough tuning foam/filter?
Nope, sorry. Still on my bucket list of things to do.

May 9, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #3,162 of 3,201
I know someone that has those filters after purchasing the Make4 and sadly the filters won't fit the M9.
Thanks for the update. I was just about to order a set.

May 9, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #3,163 of 3,201
Hello all,

I've owned my M9's since Oct. 2022 and am quite happy with them, save for a few minor issues.

First is the paint is chipping in a couple of locations. Pretty minor as it doesn't affect sound quality, but for a set that's 14 months old I wouldn't expect this. They do see very heavy usage and have been dropped a couple of times, but I never noticed any damage or change in sound quality. The paint chipping appears to be unrelated to the drops as it wasn't present when I examined them. I would estimate I wear them for about 12hrs per day, part of that being that I sleep wearing them. I have tinnitus that often won't let me sleep or concentrate on tasks, so I wear them with music or ambient noise playing to help overcome that. Any thoughts on re-painting, and if so, what kind of paint is suggested?

Second is also pretty minor - the little rubber plug that carries the L or R markings has come out of my left earbud. I still have it and would like to re-glue it back into the earbud. When I took a close look at the hole it goes in, it appears there's some sort of sponge or other soft/pliable material in the bottom of the hole. It appears to be breaking down a little as you can see small particles coming off it. I'm also wondering if it might be that the rubber plug itself broke apart and left part inside the shell body.

I'm fine glueing it back in, but I'm not sure if that hole is meant to be sealed. Its a fairly snug fit so I doubt it needs to allow for air movement from inside the IEM body, but I'd like to be sure. I would hate for it to change sound quality if it's completely sealed when I re-glue it. I've looked and found some exploded views of the M9 assembly, but nothing showing that hole for the L/R markers. Thoughts or suggestions?

Sorry, my picture taking skills aren't great. TIA!

IER-M9-LeftEarbudMarker.jpg
Do you have any ideas on how to touch up chipped paint. My used M9 has some nothing major but I've been thinking about what kind of "thing" to applied over the chipped areas to prevent it from getting any worse.

May 9, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #3,164 of 3,201
The M17 is a gorgeous beast, but the price is quite high unless you go to the used market. If your friend has a newer phone and isn't adverse to carrying 2 devices, the Fiio Q7 DAC/Amp might be an option to consider. If they went with the M17, they would likely be carrying 2 devices anyhow as most of us will take our phone with us when we leave the house.

At 40% of the cost of the M17 it's also a solid performer, having the capability of 3 x the output power - around 500mW for the M17, 1500mW for the Q7 on a balanced output with a 300Ω load. When used in desktop mode with the power supply plugged in, it can deliver up to 3000mW. Power certainly isn't the only factor and should really only be considered when using the unit with hard to drive headphones. With the nominal 20Ω impedance of the M9, either will have more than ample power to drive them to satisfaction.

A friend has a Q7 and it certainly performs very nicely with my M9, and drives my Sennheiser HD800 very well off the 4.4mm balanced output. I have the predecessor, the Q5s TC. It too performs very nicely with my M9 and HD800. Both are controllable via the Fiio Music (built-in on the M17) or Control app, with lots of filter and equalization options. The other difference is the DAC. They both use the ESS 9038 Pro but the M17 has 2 for running L + R channels separately whereas the Q7 uses a single one.

Both the M17 and the Q7 share similar accessories. It will come down to whether your friend would prefer a pure standalone player or if they want to use their phone as the player paired with the external DAC/amp. Personally I could not hear the difference between the Q7 and my Q5s TC, so the dual DAC configuration may be a moot point. I have only heard the A&K media players at a store and haven't spent enough time with any of them to formulate an opinion.

Oh, and I'm still waiting on a response from Sony and United Radio re: the protective foam inserts. I still haven't received the tools from my buddy to cut the foam inserts, but he said he'll get them to me this week. Had another paint chip appear on the right earbud of my M9 over the weekend. That's one negative of the M9 for me - it's certainly showing the signs of heavy use a lot more than most of my gear. If anyone else finds a paint that will adhere well to the magnesium alloy casing of the M9, I'd be curious to know which brand you used.
What have you found so far on retouching the M9 shell? I have to do it on mine as well to prevent it from getting worse.

May 9, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #3,165 of 3,201

Users who are viewing this thread

Back