Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Sep 16, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #2,942 of 3,232
How would you compare the M9 and Monarch MKII? MKII appears to be a bit leaner in the mid bass (100-300 kHz) based on FR so probably not a warm IEM. Is that a fair statement?

That's a question that I would ask myself to actually, since I sold my M9 before I acquired the Monarch MkII. But now I kinda miss the M9.
I didn't have chance to compare them side by side but from my memory and comparison with Mest and M7 towards M9 and Monarch MkII :

-M9 have better bass then MMkII even though they are using BA bass, but no failure on implementation, Bass have more body, warmer on upper bass but tighter on all bass frequencies. (M9 8.5/10 from my note, MMkII 6/10). Why? Monarch MkII bass have better tuning, which more towards my preferences, but implementation or DD quality is not to TOTL standard, they arent better than KATO for examples to me, sounded like trapped bass, cloudy rumble down there that couldn't get out at bass note transient attack, or bad airflow.

-Mids is where Monarch MkII maybe excell the M9, the lush, full bodied, forward but never shouty with excellent timbre is here. M9 have thick bodied presentation with details too, but I feel Monarch MkII just perform slightly better here.

-Treble details is slightly better on M9, with both performing quite safe and not so bitey, reference tuning. but the extension of the trebles, M9 is better, im confidence to say this.

-Technicalities and details I feel M9 is slightly above Monarch MkII, especially imaging which is the speciality of the M9, that layering and holographic imaging of M9 is top class, sharing the top stage with Mest and U12t even half level above my beloved Z1R if I'm trying to say it objectively. Soundstage wise both are on medium but Monarch MkII is smaller and having more intimate presentation.

additional fit wise, no contest the M9 is best comfort IEMs, while monarch MkII shell is very big.

on kilobuck matchup I think both are great, but maybe I would prefer M9 over Monarch MkII. I'm very critical when coming to bass section, and Monarch MkII bass is failing me to appreciate it

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #2,943 of 3,232
I started listening to my M9 again after mostly using true wireless IEMs for a while due to pure convenience. The M9, depending on the fit of any given session, can either sound like the greatest IEM ever made or it can sound like complete trash.

I feel like the shape of my ear changes throughout the day because sometimes no matter what I do I cannot get these to hit the sweet spot of fit/sound. Then sometimes getting that fit is effortless. For a while I was using the JVC SpiralDot++ I think they’re called. I actually switched back to stock Sony silicone tips and they sounded great but they are so inconsistent for me.

After four years of ownership of this IEM I would sum it up by saying it’s an incredible IEM that is nearly ruined by finicky fit. I think I just need a fresh pair of SpiralDot++ because mine are worn out. When I first got these I hit that sweet spot every time and it was effortless. Now they behave like the Sony tips in that you may get a good session or you may have a bad one no matter what you try.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #2,944 of 3,232
I started listening to my M9 again after mostly using true wireless IEMs for a while due to pure convenience. The M9, depending on the fit of any given session, can either sound like the greatest IEM ever made or it can sound like complete trash.

I feel like the shape of my ear changes throughout the day because sometimes no matter what I do I cannot get these to hit the sweet spot of fit/sound. Then sometimes getting that fit is effortless. For a while I was using the JVC SpiralDot++ I think they’re called. I actually switched back to stock Sony silicone tips and they sounded great but they are so inconsistent for me.

After four years of ownership of this IEM I would sum it up by saying it’s an incredible IEM that is nearly ruined by finicky fit. I think I just need a fresh pair of SpiralDot++ because mine are worn out. When I first got these I hit that sweet spot every time and it was effortless. Now they behave like the Sony tips in that you may get a good session or you may have a bad one no matter what you try.
you should try wf xm4 tips, it's foamies, and they're easier to put and get a consistant fit, plus due to them being foamies you won't have pressure build up

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #2,945 of 3,232
you should try wf xm4 tips, it's foamies, and they're easier to put and get a consistant fit, plus due to them being foamies you won't have pressure build up
Pressure build up kills this IEM. Just destroys the dynamics. Very interested in these foamies I’ll give em try. These are legit Sony tips?

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #2,946 of 3,232
I think the JVC SpiralDot++ works so well (at least when fresh) because they’re a bit of a hybrid foam/silicone tip.

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #2,948 of 3,232
I think the JVC SpiralDot++ works so well (at least when fresh) because they’re a bit of a hybrid foam/silicone tip.
Recently bought some Azla Xelastec, and I think they are pretty good. I think perhaps due to the bore opening being bigger than stock tips, they tame the mid-bass a bit, so it's not as congested in around the 150-300 hz. The fit also is pretty good.

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #2,949 of 3,232

Jvc spiral dot++ is made of Japanese smp i-fit, material that combined silicone with SMP that stands for shape memory polymer and does feel smooth to the skin and feel like memory foam.

They are very comfortable indeed but for all sony IERs (M7, M9, Z1R) actually the spiral++ isn't fitted well, there is gap between the sony nozzle and the spiral dot++ inner wide bore neck, this may made some air leak hence affecting the sound quality and by the time this gap may become little bit wider.

You can buy brand new spiral dot++, that EP-NI1000 also have good fit and not building pressure but sub bass isn't optimal from my experience.
You can try azla crystal or feaulle H570 (latex) or the pentaconn coreir (latex umbrella with brass resonance chamber). The latter is expensive but the technicalities are superb.

Sep 26, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #2,951 of 3,232
Foam tips degrade faster than silicone ones, not to mention the fact that they are hardly cleanable. That's why I dislike foams and only buy a pair when there aren't any other choices. I had been using the stock Sony silicone tips, which actually fit my ears very securely despite causing pressure build up, for a while until I tried the Spinfit W1. These tips are amazing - no pressure build up, they look good, and they produce good sound too, you could consider trying these as well.

I also have a pair of Spiral++ tips, but I've let them gather dust because they're very difficult to get a good seal with. With that being said, they are the ones that have made the most impact on the sound of my IEMs. They mainly brighten the frequency response, which could be why they're a popular choice for M9 owners. Sadly, I couldn't secure them on my ears :/

Sep 26, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #2,952 of 3,232
A few days ago, I had the opportunity to test my M9 with some dongles. My intention was to try out popular pairing dongles like the Questyle M15, Moondrop Dawn, RU7, etc. However, none of them were available at the store I visited. Despite this, I didn't leave the store feeling disappointed; in fact, the visit was quite delightful. I ended up testing three dongles: Qudelix 5K, 7HZ 71, and the mighty Hiby FC4. All of the tested dongles were connected to my LG V50 via a type C cable, with their 3.5mm sockets linked to my G5 amp section, which seemed to have zero coloration to the sound source. Here are my impressions of each:

Let's start with the Qudelix 5K, which surprised me the most, but unfortunately, in a negative way. I have no idea how it sounds when played via Bluetooth or its dedicated software, as when connected to my phone via a type-C cable, there is no soundstage whatsoever. Everything is confined inside my head, with the sound barely extending beyond my eyes. There are absolutely no left-right stereo effects.

Initially, I thought this might be due to the specific track I was listening to. However, upon switching to other sources, the differences were significant. Elements that should have been positioned on the left/right side were pushed as far as possible to the left/right stereo side of the soundstage. The Apple dongle boast a far more expansive soundstage. I just don't understand why the 5K is so highly praised within the community.

That being said, the separation is very good. Unfortunately, that's about the only positive aspect. The SE output is weak, and I had to turn the knob on my G5 all the way to its maximum to hear the sound clearly despite that, the sound is still tiny. I'm really curious about how the balanced output could potentially improve the situation. At the moment, this is as bad as an audio source can get.

Moving on to the 7HZ 71. Wow, wow, just wow! This little device is worth every single penny. It projects the elements in a song as far as they can go, creating a very wide soundstage that is completely opposite to what the Qudelix offers. It even surpasses the FC4 in terms of soundstage width. But that's not its only achievement; the dynamic range on this tiny dongle is on another level. It's super dynamic and incredibly fun to listen to. The bass is lean, fast, and hits amazingly hard. Combined with its very energetic treble presentation, it gives the M9 a very enjoyable, vibrant, and fun sound.

The downsides? Well, there aren't many. The note size (although note weight is great) is slightly smaller compared to other sources, and the energetic treble can be a bit glaring and grainy at times. However, this is not a problem with the M9 at all. This dongle is designed with a fun sound in mind, and these minor issues can be easily overlooked. The midrange imaging is a bit blurry as well, with less focus compared to other sources. But overall, it's a great product with excellent value.

Lastly, let's discuss the FC4. It produces a very calm, refined, and mature sound. It has a strong bass presence, substantial note weight, great timbre, non-offensive treble, and a focused, big, and authoritative midrange. The only thing that bothers me about the FC4 is its soft bass impact and lack of dynamics, which I found in the 7Hz 71. Again, the soundstage is slightly narrower compared to that of the 71, but the difference isn't substantial.

Setting aside these mentioned downsides, the FC4 is actually a great product. However, it's unfortunate that it isn't compatible with the M9's sound signature. It is probably a better match for already fun and dynamically sounding IEMs, rather than the M9, which has a flatter sound signature.

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #2,953 of 3,232
Foam tips degrade faster than silicone ones, not to mention the fact that they are hardly cleanable. That's why I dislike foams and only buy a pair when there aren't any other choices. I had been using the stock Sony silicone tips, which actually fit my ears very securely despite causing pressure build up, for a while until I tried the Spinfit W1. These tips are amazing - no pressure build up, they look good, and they produce good sound too, you could consider trying these as well.

I also have a pair of Spiral++ tips, but I've let them gather dust because they're very difficult to get a good seal with. With that being said, they are the ones that have made the most impact on the sound of my IEMs. They mainly brighten the frequency response, which could be why they're a popular choice for M9 owners. Sadly, I couldn't secure them on my ears :/
How wide is the opening on Spinfit W1? Is it the same or wider than the stock silicone? I use the Xelastec primarily because the opening is wider and I find that it reduces the mid-bass by enough to make it to my preference -- on some songs with stock silicone tips the mid-bass of the M9 is too congested for me.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #2,954 of 3,232
W1 is medium bore, wider than stock little bit but not as big as xelastec or spiral dots

Sep 27, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #2,955 of 3,232
Does anyone EQ the M9? While I love it, I find it somewhat congested for some tracks. I typically don't EQ, but to alleviate congestion, on my ZX707 dap, I EQ'ed to the following (basically toning down mid-bass and boosting the upper mid/ear gain regions):

125 hz: -2.5 db
250 hz: -2 db
1k: +0.5 db
2k: +2 db
16k: +0.5 db (just for some sparkle).

So nothing crazy at all. While I like this tonality better, I just can't overcome the fact that when I turn on EQ, the M9 is missing something that makes it special. Am I the only who feels this way or should I just get over it and use EQ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back