Sony IER-M7 Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2018 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 128

CoryGillmore

Headphoneus Supremus
I feel as though the three new flagship Sony IEMs deserve their own separate threads. I just recently returned a Sony MDR-Z7M2 and now I've got my eye on the IER-M7. There's very limited info on this IEM on head-fi with most of the attention going to the ultra premium Z1R IEM.

Feel free to post your experience with these IEMs and your impressions. I will do the same when I acquire them, which I'm pretty sure I will acquire them as that tends to happen when I set my sights on something.

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 128
tried the M7 and M9,

sounds very Sony-like to me

but for the price point, it's def good
I definitely am a fan of the Sony sound, from my limited experience with it. The 1AM2 is one of my favorite headphones ever and the Z7M2 was great, I just don’t like a real spacious sound signature, it just made the music seem too far away or something, it’s weird. I love the in your face presentation of the 1AM2. This is why I’ve got my sights set on a Sony IEM. And the M7 is very much intriguing to me. It would definitely be the most expensive IEM I’ve ever purchased by about $400.

I have a ZX300 DAP and I feel it will pair perfectly with any of the Sony flagship IEMs.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 128
It doesn't seem like anyone owns these things...the only youtube impressions, unboxings and reviews I see are in Chinese! Does anyone on headfi own these things?

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 128
I feel as though the three new flagship Sony IEMs deserve their own separate threads. I just recently returned a Sony MDR-Z7M2 and now I've got my eye on the IER-M7. There's very limited info on this IEM on head-fi with most of the attention going to the ultra premium Z1R IEM.

Feel free to post your experience with these IEMs and your impressions. I will do the same when I acquire them, which I'm pretty sure I will acquire them as that tends to happen when I set my sights on something.

The IER-M9 is a coherent sounding IEM with a nice balanced signature but has a few problems. When people say the bass sounds relatively close to a dynamic driver, I can get where they're coming from. The decay is definitely longer than most balanced armatures but it still lacks the heft you get from dynamic drivers. I feel it just lowers the overall dynamics of the IEM.

The IER-M7 sounds exactly like the IER-M9, just with less treble energy and less clarity. In all honesty, its pretty stuffy sounding because of this. I think the one you'd prefer to buy depends on how much you like the sound signature. Most people that really dig the sound signature would pay extra to get the IER-M9 no question.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 128
The IER-M9 is a coherent sounding IEM with a nice balanced signature but has a few problems. When people say the bass sounds relatively close to a dynamic driver, I can get where they're coming from. The decay is definitely longer than most balanced armatures but it still lacks the heft you get from dynamic drivers. I feel it just lowers the overall dynamics of the IEM.

The IER-M7 sounds exactly like the IER-M9, just with less treble energy and less clarity. In all honesty, its pretty stuffy sounding because of this. I think the one you'd prefer to buy depends on how much you like the sound signature. Most people that really dig the sound signature would pay extra to get the IER-M9 no question.
So you're saying neither one of them are very good in the bass department?

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 128
Because that's a problem for me. I'm definitely more of a "consumer sound" guy...Which is why the 1AM2 suites me so well. I've heard the M7 has good bass but I guess the part I've overlooked is the good bass for a BA IEM...

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 128
@CoryGillmore,

I own the 1AM2 so I can relate, I use it as one among a few Reference Sound headphones I have...so I can relate to what may be your possible concerns.

M7 does indeed have good bass & good range across the spectrum overall.
Subjectively & personally, I disagree with @JefferyW311 about the M7 sound.
Drivers aside, the issue a lot here on headfi face is many don't understand &/or believe in sound synergy with audio gear, M7 is one such good example on how this comes to play.
if you have a good player, ironIcally most high end players, Astell & Kern, even Sony's own players, don't play well with certain IEMs & headphones in my humble & subjective experience, I have tried a lot of gear over the years so I feel comfortable saying this.

At a recent audio show last year, I had the opportunity to test the IER Series with ALL the Sony DAPs & the new flagship walkman, as well as all AK players.
The AK players were distinctive enough but nothing unexpected, Sony DAPs & that flagship walkman proved less so, only the Z1R & the M7 stood out for me but only just & not by much.
Whereas when I used my own player, Plenue D, I was able to discern the clear differences between all three & the M9 didn't sit well with me.
I really enjoyed my time with the M7 & one day hopefully soon, will get it though there are a few other things in line first but that's another story.

Hope you find this useful, feel free to ask me more if necessary.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 128
So you're saying neither one of them are very good in the bass department?

I don’t think any BA driver IEM has particularly good bass. Decay, timbre, weight is nearly always off. The IER tries its best to emulate a dynamic driver though can’t emulate the air aspect.

The only real difference between the IER-M7 and M9 is more treble energy. I feel the lesser treble energy from the M7 and the sort of mid bass emphasis of both the IER series in general don’t mesh well together with the longer more natural bass decay. It just results in the M7 sounding a little slow and lacking in dynamics. This isn’t unique to the IER-M7, this is a problem with a lot of IEMs that use dynamic drivers.

The tonality and timbre is great with both but I’d take the IER-M9 every time even taking into consideration the price difference.

I don’t really buy the source argument. I tried multiple DAPs at e-earphones and there wasn’t enough substantial difference to make the IER-M7 not sound lacking in dynamics department.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 128
I don’t think any BA driver IEM has particularly good bass. Decay, timbre, weight is nearly always off. The IER tries its best to emulate a dynamic driver though can’t emulate the air aspect.

The only real difference between the IER-M7 and M9 is more treble energy. I feel the lesser treble energy from the M7 and the sort of mid bass emphasis of both the IER series in general don’t mesh well together with the longer more natural bass decay. It just results in the M7 sounding a little slow and lacking in dynamics. This isn’t unique to the IER-M7, this is a problem with a lot of IEMs that use dynamic drivers.

The tonality and timbre is great with both but I’d take the IER-M9 every time even taking into consideration the price difference.

I don’t really buy the source argument. I tried multiple DAPs at e-earphones and there wasn’t enough substantial difference to make the IER-M7 not sound lacking in dynamics department.

Hi @jeffreyw311,

Just my humble opinion & 2 cents, it would be better to qualtify your statement of any BA driver IEM not having good bass.

Please provide examples of ones you have found to be along with sources you have used.

Personally & subjectively, I have always found BA drivers in any config to have overall better to good natural bass response over most straight dynamics barring a few though this also depends on source synergy & a whole lot of factors which also can't be quantified.

I find it odd you say the M 7 is slow & lacking in dynamics, etc, personally & subjectively, I do not find this.
I have demo the M7 extensively with various DAPs while it does suit some better than others, it remains on my short list.
What were you listening to to make things sound this way?
How do dynamic drivers in general have this problem?
Again, what have you been listening to, IEM & source to quantify this statement?
Sony themselves have stated M7 is for professional studio monitoring & yes, while this is sbjective, the resulting sound is meant to be as the artist intended so source in this case is also important to a certain extent.

I am curious to know what DAPs you have tried to not notice substantial differences with the IER M7 as well as was it your own music you knew well or store loaded, file quality, etc?

Also, I am not aiming to convince you of anything or try as it would be a waste of time but I am curious if your points can be elaborated on instead of just offering a sweeping statement.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 128
I did quite a bit of reading on the M7 and M9 and I decided the M9 was the one for me. From what I read, people said the M9 had more of a V-shaped fun signature while the M7 was more of a clinical and neutral signature. Fun is my first priority when it comes to my listening. I wish it had been the opposite as I much would've rather spent $800 than the $1200 I spent on this M9 haha.

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 128
I did quite a bit of reading on the M7 and M9 and I decided the M9 was the one for me. From what I read, people said the M9 had more of a V-shaped fun signature while the M7 was more of a clinical and neutral signature. Fun is my first priority when it comes to my listening. I wish it had been the opposite as I much would've rather spent $800 than the $1200 I spent on this M9 haha.

Hi @CoryGillmore,

If possible, I would suggest extensive demos before you make your decision, often times, reading doesn't tell you much about how you yourself will precieve the sound which makes a lot of difference.
Not against recommendations, have done that myself on many occasion but I always trust my own judgement, especially ears when it comes down the final decision.
Also, what is important to remember is what your expectations are?
Speaking from my own extensive demos, a lot of fun can be had with the M7 though yes, this is subjective & personal...
Other factors involve source quality, DAP &/or otherwise involved, etc.

Since you are in the US, there are countless meets, Canjams, etc for you to attend, even Sony has their own dedicated outlets for you to experience the IER series for yourself.
Either way, it wouldn't be hard to demo.
Count yourself lucky where you have these options, in most other countries, it is incredibly difficult to demo certain gear as well as there being a no return policy.

As a final note, I am not aiming to convince you of anything, just putting down my humble two cents.
Whatever you choose, don't forget to enjoy the experience...

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 128

I really am keen to try M7/M9 but how to justify M9 being almost double the price of M7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back